New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Cabela's Orders  (Read 783 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Cabela's Orders
« on: February 08, 2018, 07:54:23 AM »
Every since Bass Pro has bought out Cabelas they have been charging sales tax for that state, before you paid for shipping and that was all and sometimes you got free shipping on your order...

So now instead of looking at Cablelas first, I don't look at them at all, I will look at Midway or Amazon or even Sportsman Guide for my purchases...I will not pay shipping plus the nearly 10% sales tax that TN has (we do not have an income tax, just a state sales tax of at least 9.25% and sometime as high as 9.75% depending on where you live in the state...so that is a big factor in my decision...I notice it last year when I place and order and the shipping and sales tax was 25% of the order!! Ouch!! that is way to much.

Now I look at Midway first...wonder if anybody else in the TH family has done some similar.......
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Cabela's Orders
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 08:05:44 AM »
BO, shipping and taxes is almost always the determining factor for online purchases. When an $11.95 item cost $9.00 to ship I will do without. Midway has always been my go to store and I always use the round up option they offer.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:16:01 AM »
Gut - I know, Midway has become my choice of stores but sometimes in the past Cabelas has offered free shipping and in those days it was great, but all of us down in the GA Hunt club prefer Cableas Clothes over Bass Pro.....and so glad to see Midway opening up it business to include more clothing lines.....

I would say that I agree with you about Midway being my #1 go to store.....Gunbroker, Brownells (and Midway) are my also store I consider for my gun parts....Powder Valley is where I get most of my powder for reloading at...and I have a list of stores that I have bought stuff in the past, like Natchez Trace, Scheels, Gaff and Sons, etc......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:54:56 AM »
I look at the total dollar amount before ordering also.
Use all of the above, used to be a member of Sportsman Guide for lower prices until I saw them on Amazon for the same price.  Stopped paying membership fees.

If in a hurry, order from Midway, they ship on first business day.

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:57:40 AM »
We have a cabelas in our town so I always got charged sales tax on online orders. nothing new to me. I do price shop around though.
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 05:29:59 PM »
Bo- you must have a retail store in your state. if you have a retail store, they are required to charge sales tax. i got hit a few years ago when cabelas put their first store in WI

i use the 'ship to store' option since i have a store 10 minutes away. i seldom pay shipping at any site
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 07:13:32 PM »
I have become a big fan of Midway in recent years, they have great selection and good prices, and occasionally some free shipping to boot.  Still do some business with Brownells, but mostly Midway these days.  Wife tends to hang on to all of the cardboard boxes in the months leading up to Christmas for packing gifts - she gives me crap about all of the Midway packaging piling up in the garage, but at the same time doesn't hesitate to use them!   

Shipping & sales tax always get considered unless I can't find a given item anywhere but one place.  Lots more companies charging sales tax these days for on-line orders.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 07:58:13 AM »
Yari - Yes we have more than a few Bass Pro Shops in Tennessee but not the first Cabela's.....every since Bass Pro Shop bought out Cabela's they have been charging TN state sales tax on my orders...may not be that a big deal to everyone else but to a guy who is living on a fixed income, every dollar matters....and dimes too!....LOL....

Like PJ says, the total order is what counts....I expect to pay shipping but not both...that is why my balance on my Cabela's CC is the big Zero, Nada!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 04:40:01 PM »
Yari - Yes we have more than a few Bass Pro Shops in Tennessee but not the first Cabela's.....every since Bass Pro Shop bought out Cabela's they have been charging TN state sales tax on my orders...may not be that a big deal to everyone else but to a guy who is living on a fixed income, every dollar matters....and dimes too!....LOL....

Like PJ says, the total order is what counts....I expect to pay shipping but not both...that is why my balance on my Cabela's CC is the big Zero, Nada!

remember bo, they are the same owner now. so BPS and CAB are interchangeable. since you have a BPS in your state, state income tax is due for cabelas purchases. i don't like it either, but that is the law
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 09:27:09 AM »
For something I have to have, I will buy online but usually when they have a free S&H deal

I do comparion shop across all the sites.

I always got a kick out of buying scopes from a store based in the heart of NYC, B&H photo. Online too. I wonder if any liberals walked the store and noticed the rifle and handgun scopes. They provide free shipping. The store and website closes at sunset on Fridays and all day Saturday for their Sabbath.

However, my new home in Florida is a 2 mile drive by car to bass pro so my shipping stuff days will be over.

I have so much stuff, I do not need hunting stuff, or fresh water fishing stuff. However, salt water fishing may be in my future being less than 10 miles to the Gulf, so more to buy! Salt water fishing from shore/piers will be a new experience. No boat for me now or in the future.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 05:19:28 PM »
I shop on-line for a few things and don't have to pay sale tax which is nice but if I can get free shipping I don't mind paying the sales tax.

Flint...funny you bring up B&H Photo. Right before Thanksgiving last year I was looking at binoculars on-line and just typed in Vortex Diamondback 8X32 and this site popped up B&H Photo which I though was odd until I saw optics on their website. The Diamondback popped up for $159 with a Free Vortex hunting type binocular harness and a Olight flash light. I've seen Bo's Vortex optics and have never seen those binoculars under $199. Knowing what a good deal this was I bought immediately...I'll admit I really like the little flash light that can with the deal. Fits on your key ring and puts out some unbelievable light. You can get them at Amazon for $10. I went back a few hours later to the site and that deal had been removed and the price changed to $189. I was just in the right place at the right time. Plus free shipping and no tax...life was good that day!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 06:36:27 PM »
I am glad you got a good deal

Their store on 34th street is very large, you can get lost window shopping.

The also close in store and online for all their holidays.

So, when you see a deal, do not wait!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 10:26:29 AM »
Just got this email from Cabela's.

The Subject Line got me.  Especially with all the rain you guys have gotten in the Ohio Valley area and above/below it West of me.

Your Rainwear Headquarters

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 08:27:54 AM »
Smart move likely planned well in advance. Winter hunting ending, spring showers so out with the rain gear sales. Next up will be summerwear etc

But, we are getting pounded with snow and 60mph winds. March is coming in like a Lion for sure!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Online Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 08:32:27 AM »
Smart move likely planned well in advance. Winter hunting ending, spring showers so out with the rain gear sales. Next up will be summerwear etc

But, we are getting pounded with snow and 60mph winds. March is coming in like a Lion for sure!
Over a foot of snow already in Erie, PA this morning and still coming. Just a few flurries at home, my plan was to go looking for some sheds this weekend at camp, but the forecast of 10-14" today at camp put that trip on hold for another week or so.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

New Page 3

Google Ad