New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Asking for some opinions and/or advice  (Read 646 times)

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
Asking for some opinions and/or advice
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:05:14 PM »
I'm an old school kind of guy.  Just in the last few years graduated from wheel guns to polymer auto loaders.  Blue steel and walnut, rifles and handguns are the way firearms ought to be made.  This said, I'm very satisfied with my rifle of choice and its optics.  So here's the deal:  I have an old gravity box farm wagon that hasn't been used in years, sitting out in the open, flat, dry rotted tires, holes rusted through the body, but with a decent 45 year old Electric Wheel wagon gear.  I have a neighbor who wants it to haul deer feed to various leases, etc.  He has offered to trade me one of two rifles plus a NIB Leopold VX1 3X9X40 for the old wagon.  Both rifles are 30/06, one is a Marlin XL7 and the other is a well preserved Remington 74 (plain Jane).  The Marlin has some sort of fancy trigger and a synthetic stock.  The Remington 74 has a plain stock and as I said hasn't been abused.
My question, remembering I'm not looking for another deer rifle, which rifle would be the better as trading fodder?  I shoot a bolt action, there are still lots of fellers using the auto loading Remington's.  I'm leaning toward the Marlin.  I've been trading guns for almost 60 years and usually know what I want but in this instance I don't really know which would be the easiest to move as a trade or even a sale?
Any opinions or advisements?
Treefarmer

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Asking for some opinions and/or advice
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 12:53:36 AM »
What is the Rem 74 worth?? I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 to 500....What is it age?? How is the bluing on it?? I agree with you about the way rifles should be made!

I too have a Marlin XL7 and it is not that old...probably 7 or 8 years old...short 20", heavy barrel in 308 Win with Marlin version of the Accu-Trigger and a fiberglass stock. Marlin isn't known for it's bolt rifles, just lever types.....The 74 is a vintage rifle and you could only find parts for it from Brownells or Numrich?? The Marlin for me is the cheaper of the two but newer....

Now, the old farm Wagon the guy interested will restore it?? How old is it?? If he does restore it how much would it be worth then...I have my Dad's old 76 Chevy 1500 and have had several people stop and asked me how much do I want for it?? I have put a 1000 bucks out there and nobody wants to come up with the cash for it....so I keep it and drive it a few times a year....just around the neighborhood....

Wish I could help here Tree, but the comes down big choice is yours! Any sentimental value you can place on the old farm wagon??

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 06:58:03 AM »
Thanks, Bo!  Apparently I didn't describe the wagon accurately, it's the type that is all steel construction, rubber tired, pull behind a corn picker or used to shuttle grain from the combine to the crib, no sentimental attachment other than it was quite useful when I was farming and raising cattle.  The 74 has perfect bluing, the Marlin is almost new and I don't need either one. ##$%#1119  I mull it around for a day or two.  I really like the Leopold scope he added to the deal, I can use it on something.
Treefarmer

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 07:38:15 AM »
Tree - That's OK for the description of the old wagon...LOL....so what are you going to do?? which way are you leaning?? The Leupold scopes are awesome....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 09:10:55 AM »
I would likely go with the Marlin, but it is your choice. 
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 10:10:46 AM »
Digging through the internet, I found some articles that don't speak too highly of the model 74 30/06. Lots of jamming issues mentioned, then a story of several gun dealers who would not take one on trade. @--0--0117 The several 742s that I had back in the 60's were okay but now that I've been hunting with a bolt action for almost 50 years, I may be leaning toward the Marlin, even if I don't intend to hunt with it.  I'd hate to trade the Remington to some young feller and he have some of the problems I read about that particular rifle.  Not a lot usually goes wrong with a bolt action in my experience, not sure about the trigger on the Marlin.
Treefarmer

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 02:54:58 PM »
IMO... The Marlin is the better bet. It's worth considerably more than the gravity wagon. If the guy is happy and you're ok with it, I'd do it.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 05:51:06 PM »
Go with the Marlin it will be easier to flip when you get ready.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 06:58:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Fellers!  I did a little research on the Remington model 74 and found it was actually a dressed down 7400.  It has a hard wood stock rather than Walnut and opinion on the internet is that the not the same finish as the 7400.  The most enlightening bit of information was one site referred to it as the "Jam-o-matic" and other sites referenced jamming as a big fault of that model rifle.
Seems like we're on the same page, Marlin it is!
Aired up the tires on the wagon and told the boy to bring me my Marlin and my new Leupold in the box.  Oh, I failed to mention both rifles were scoped with some type of Bushnell scope.
Treefarmer

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 07:15:02 PM »
Good call Tree!  You'll use the scope for sure, and if nothing else can do an easy swap of the rifle for cash or something else you need - you won't find a lot of people willing to hand you much cash for an older gravity wagon.  You have done well Grasshopper.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 10:04:54 AM »
Good deal!!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 12:13:01 PM »
I've taken possession of the Marlin XL7 30/06, topped with a Bushnell 3X9 scope along with the new in box, Leupold VX-1 3X9X40mm.  Only 5 days of rifle season left, no need to mess with it now.
Treefarmer

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 01:09:12 PM »
Tree - Hopefully you are out hunting now with the new Marlin with your Bushnell.....LOL...only 4 days after today!!! Sunday the 18th is it!!! Good Luck....let us know if you get/got one or not....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad