New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: High Point TS 995 9mm Carbine  (Read 990 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
High Point TS 995 9mm Carbine
« on: February 01, 2018, 05:56:06 PM »
Finally got this new toy in...found it on Gunbroker for a whopping $250!! The "Package" came with a soft carrying case, 3 -10 shot mags, 1 - 20 shot mag (don't know if I will use it or not). It also came with the pistol grip, and bi-pod. After getting it home, took the front site off, the rear pep sight off and put on the AIM 2.5-10X x 40mm scope with it laser and illuminated crosshairs. The crosshairs takes the common CR2032 battery, while the laser sight takes a 3V 600 amph battery that you cannot find at your local store). I do reserve the right to switch out the scope to a Vortex Crossfire 2-7X x 32mm that is on the scope pile....

Will take it to the range as soon as possible and will sight it in at 50 yards, no need to sight it in any farther!!

I have a old Marlin Camp 9 that I bought back in the late 70 when Service Merchandise was closing its doors in Atlanta, got it for $125....but this High Point is built much better than the Marlin. Well, until I take it to the range and shot it some and get it sighted in, I really cannot say it is better than the Marlin....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: High Point TS 995 9mm Carbine
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 06:06:48 PM »
Definitely keep us posted Bo - while it's not at the top of my list I've been considering building up an AR style 9mm.  Have never fired 9mm in anything other than a handgun, but definitely intrigued by it as a home defense tool primarily, and I suspect it would be something I could get my other family members competent/comfortable with more easily than a semi auto handgun or a shotgun and still have plenty of stopping power.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 06:45:32 PM »
Nice looking toy Bo . ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 07:42:10 PM »
nice price. 9mm? that would be a good squirrel gun ()*$%RT ##$%#16 ##$%#16 ##$%#16
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 06:41:46 AM »
Mad - I know a guy (where I work at) who started talking to me about 3 or 4 years ago about putting together a 9mm AR style rifle...he lives on a small farm (about 17 acres) about an hour outside Oak Ridge and needed something that could take care of any critters he wanted to but not go miles and miles if it did hit a rock and ricochet! This was his biggest concerned...I kept in touch with the guy and he loves it so much that he has gotten him a 22 LR rimfire in the same style rifle....

Yari - Yes a typical 9mm (9x19mm) is the caliber....though it would be a good fit for home defense and a good camp plinker. The 9mm with all of the bullet changes and not the cartridge changes, but the bullet changes is more than adequate for the two task I have it for....

Sun - I did consider it a toy when I was looking at it last summer, but one I got my hands on it, it is a real nice short range rifle...I will probably do more things to it today....yea more than a squirrel rifle, how bout a close in yote caliber....or fox or bob cat or ??????

Let me complete the story about the Marlin Camp 9mm. A year or so after I bought it from the closing Service Merchandise store in Atlanta (Gwinnett Mall), was over at David's Gun Room in Norcross, GA and mention it to him that I had bought a Marlin Camp 9. He told me that Marlin had come out with a Camp 45! Well Mary (Dave wife) start going to the counter and pulling out a 25 shot S&W Magazine to another pistol...she said it would fit right into the Marlin, she was right. After buying two of them, got home and try to see if she was right or now and she was!!! The Marlin Camp 9 magazine would hold 10 shots....so guess which one is in it now!!! yea you guest it!!!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 07:55:45 AM »
Bo, I stupidly passed up a Marlin camp 45 that a friend was selling for $200.  What was doubly stupid was that I more than enough money in my slush find.  I didn't know much about these carbines, so I lost out.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 10:18:19 AM »
Louie - A few years after that, another manufacturer maybe Smith and Wesson or Thompson Center started making a similar models, cannot remember that far back...but yes you did blow it...LOL...for $200 bucks!! That would have been a good steal of a deal!!! Have you seen what they are going for on Gunbroker?? You need to check it out....I own many 9mm including a Browning High Power in Stainless Steel got it way back in the early 80's and then never looked back...have sort of standardize on the 9mm round as a good home defense caliber and weapon....I also have a few Browning 380 BDA's that shoot great, double stack magazines.....but I like a 9mm especially with all they are doing to the bullet itself.....

On my, I put a folding stock and a 4X scope on it, maybe I need to blow off the dust and put a red dot or similar on it...will get it out and take some pictures of it and post them here...but for home protection, or just a good plinker, it hard to beat the old Marlin and now High Point....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 08:02:10 AM »
Am in the market for extra magazines for it as well....the standard is a 10 rounder and they have a 20 rounder, one 20 rounder came with the Carbine....now Pro-Mag has a 15 rounder on the market for it as well...the carbine came with 3 10 shot mags...have been looking at the High Point website and they have a clip that fits on the stock that holds and extra 10 rounds...since it has 3 10 shot mags wonder if I should stay with the 10 round capacity but the 15 rounder sure looks inviting!!!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 03:33:52 PM »
Bo...  I have been looking at a High Point (not sure of Mod #) chambered in 40 S&W. It would be my first in this platform. Please give me some advice and thoughts. Yawl others can chime in too. Never ever had a modern AR platform. "Old Rem" the fully modified 742 I don't consider anything more than my old trusted friend. How would the new platform compare to him?
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 06:22:54 AM »
Just got an email from MKS Supply yesterday.  Tbey are now offering the carbine chambered in 10mm. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 07:55:01 AM »
Dutch and Louie - For 2016-2017 they are offered the carbine in the 40 S&W...like Louie states now in 2018, they are offering it in the 10mm...talk about stopping power!! I have own the Marlin Camp 9 for many, many years now and have shot it many times with both the standard and the S&W extended magazine (holds 25 rounds)....one thing I have learned over the years is that you cannot beat good ammo....back in the good old days, use the standard 115 FMJ in the Marlin Camp 9, feed fine, no problems, groups not so good, shot everywhere but where I wanted it to.....a few years later found a folding metal stock and installed it.....just by accident, when the local law enforcement were switching over from 9mm to 40 Caliber. We had in our club many county officers who gave me their 9mm Federal Hydra Shock but the case. They were told to shoot it up take it home, just don't bring it back to the station...As a result, I have about 4000 rounds of the good stuff!!! It shot great in the Marlin and it shot great groups....

I have looked at the 20 round magazines for it looks really awkward when it is not installed and but looks better after installation...Hi Point offers a holder for an extra 10 round magazine on the butt stock portion. maybe I will try and get one for both sides of the buttstock?? I will get one of those....and Pro-Mag offers a 15 round magazine that is really sharp, straight, not curved like the 20 rounder is.....Glad it comes with a lot of accessories, it is cheap little carbine and will take it to the range at the first earliest time I can get out there....but will order 4 of the Pro-Mag 15 rounders....

My advise is to use good ammo, and this is going to make a good home defense weapon, it has a laser on it now along with a illuminated red/green scope from AIM....it does have bottom Picatinny rail for the a laser and/or flashlight....I will add one of them maybe both early next couple of months...will try and bring it down to Ga Hunt Club for Turkey season this year.....

I love my Marlin camp 9 and will start looking for additions to add to it as well....now with its brother the Hi-Point 995TS in 9mm, along with the SCCY CPX-1 and the 2 M&P Shields in 9mm, I think I have enough 9mm to have fun with...I have many other 9mm that I have purchased over the years as well.....here is a link to their website....   

https://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/#
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 05:31:26 PM »
Interesting piece, haven't seen those before.  Charging handle on the left side seems a little odd.  If you zero something like that at 25 yards how much drop do you get out at 50-100 yards with a 9 or 10MM hot round like Hydra Shok?  I know that long range stuff isn't the intent, just wondering about it as a truck/tractor gun for yotes/chucks/the occasional badger/yeti, etc?
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 06:36:41 PM »
Mad - My Marlin was sighted in for 50 yards and got pretty good (under 2" groups) groups with them...so it will be interesting to see what the new Hi Point does......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 06:08:25 PM »
The High Point I'm considering is Model 1095 TS in 40SW. Still in the thinking stage. I can get it for 235. It's used but seems to be in pretty good shape with 200 rounds of ammo. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Online Madgomer

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 06:34:45 PM »
Dutch, at that price it seems like you could always recover the majority of your investment even if you decide you don't like it after burning the ammo that comes along with the deal.
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad