New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Garmon Bow Sight  (Read 584 times)

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
Garmon Bow Sight
« on: January 30, 2018, 06:43:25 PM »
While looking at all the new stuff that was introduced at this yeas ATA Garmin's new Xero digital laser bow sight caught my attention.  This is not for a traditional archer but if you are a tech geek this just might be for you. 
Here is the link to Garmin's website

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fishandhunt/garmin-xero-auto-ranging-digital-bow-sight/
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Garmon Bow Sight
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 06:57:20 PM »
That's really some kind of a bow sight , thanks for the info hope they try some for crossbows next .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 07:10:14 PM »
My son is headed for Garmin as a full-time employee after graduation in May.  He gets a pretty nice discount on Garmin products but even with that it's a pretty steep price for a bow sight!  Looks really nice, great to see all of the unique products Garmin is moving into with their existing capabilities.  I was just looking at the new dog containment system they just announced at about the same time as the bow sight - that actually is pretty attractive right now for us.

I'll let him know they can put my name on the list as a tester for that sight, maybe they'll let me borrow one for the year!
 @--0--0131 @--0--0131 @--0--0131
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MKMGOBL

• Spike
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 07:28:53 PM »
I'm not very impressed with it. It has a very hefty price tag for something I heard that at the show had trouble getting a read out on a things. I know it's indoor but still, it shouldn't have trouble on darker objects. Just my thoughts. The big issue I would have is if the battery dies, you are done! Well until you dig through you pack for a new one and change it out.

The IQ Define would be a better option if I were to go a rangefinder route on my bow. Priced a little nice but still not great. At least with this sight if the battery dies, you are still able to make the shot. I am a gadget guy but on my bow not so much. I like a fairly light bow setup and not sure what these sight would do for weight on my current setup. The tracking part of the sight would be real handy! That part of it is pretty sweet. Give them as season or two to workout the issues.......on both sights if the IQ has any.

I'll stick with carrying a rangefinder that I can use other just on bow hunts. I can use it for gun hunting, setting up targets or for any other kind of marking yardage.

Cool idea though ;)

http://iqbowsights.com/define-range-finding-sight/ 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:34:03 PM by MKMGOBL »

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 08:14:32 PM »
Very cool technology and it will only keep getting better and better.

The biggest issue I see with this type of thing is that if there are twigs, leaves, etc in the path then it may pick up on them instead of the animal. If you always hunt open areas it would be find.

The price is the other issue.

Anyone notice that each new breakthrough basically reduces the time people think they need to practice?
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline MKMGOBL

• Spike
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »

The biggest issue I see with this type of thing is that if there are twigs, leaves, etc in the path then it may pick up on them instead of the animal. If you always hunt open areas it would be find.

Good point ;) The argument in our shop is that already happens with rangefinders. Which is true but not with how most bow hunters use rangefinders. I only range 27yds all around my stand which is what my single pin is set at. I can correctly judge a deer or any critter just based on those pre-shot yardages on my hunts. Practicing and knowing what my arrow does out past my marker up to my maximum 30-35yd shot distance I set for myself using a single pin helps with that calculations. Not saying I can't or won't shoot past 35yd. The situation would have to be rightr and I'd definitely get out my rangefinder to check yardage ;D If I had to range every critter on the spot in the middle of the hunt, this sight would be nice if I didn't have to range through branches, twigs or brush.   

Anyone notice that each new breakthrough basically reduces the time people think they need to practice?

I agree 100% I get so mad reading and listening to guys around here using tracking dogs. Don't get me wrong, they are a great tool for recovering deer. I used one this year with my shotgun kill.  Around here a guy posted to FB from in his stand, "I just shot at a deer at 50yds. Not sure where I hit it so I'm calling my buddy to get his neighbor who has a tracking dog" Are you kidding me --7-8-9 Don't take 50yd shots and please at least get out of your stand and try tracking! A lot of things are getting lost to technology and the Internet. BTW, the guy hit the deer but never found it. The friend with the tracking dog said it wasn't a vital hit. Nice right?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:22:44 PM by MKMGOBL »

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season coming soon
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »
in some states this may not legal to use
turkey season was a bust hope deer season is better

dave 1211

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 04:12:54 PM »
i saw this. it sounds like too much to deal with IMO. Leopold has a rangefinder that mounts to your bow that i would think is more user friendly. i doubt i will go with either of them, but the leo is more practical IMO
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 07:23:42 PM »
Lots of money to be made today in the market by offering people the "quick fix" - doesn't matter if it's hunting equipment, diet pills, whatever, there are millions of lazy humans who are more than willing to get out their credit card (which they can't cover the bills on either) and grab something which in theory will get them to the top of their game with no sweat equity.  Sadly, to MKMGOBL's point, when it comes to stuff like shooting critters, we end up with a bunch of wounded/lost/suffering animals out there.  As PT Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute . . "
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 08:12:22 PM »
Ironically the only deer and turkey I have missed have been in an open field....and I forgot my rangefinder each time!!!!!
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 08:53:13 AM »
I saw the first Garmon range finder commercial this past weekend.  Its still too expensive for me  --7-8-9  But a neat technology
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »
I saw the first Garmon range finder commercial this past weekend.  Its still too expensive for me  --7-8-9  But a neat technology

$800 is steep!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline Madgomer

• 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 07:14:10 AM »
It's a neat gadget but I would have to say the price is way above the actual useful value for most of us.
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 08:40:33 AM »
Less than the price https://www.cabelas.com/product/LEUPOLD-VENDETTA-RANGEFINDER/2278654.uts?slotId=3

I just use the hand held Leupold TBR rangefinder. Once in my stand I just check the range, even though after using that stand often, it just works as a reminder.

I like to use the TBR on deer that come into my zone that I just like to check the distance. My movement is careful so deer never noticed
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project