New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Crossbow question  (Read 283 times)

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
Crossbow question
« on: January 30, 2018, 05:46:26 PM »
I am looking into getting my 13 year old son a crossbow before this fall. My question is, what is a light weight unit that I can get him now and he can grow into and will still be able to use 5 to 10 years from now. Any thoughts and feed back is greatly appreciated.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: Crossbow question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 06:31:30 PM »
Snort, I'm not an expert on this topic compared to a bunch of the others, but would certainly think it wise to get out to a couple of stores that have a little variety on hand & let him try a few out.  Length of pull and draw weight are the two things that come to mind when you talk about buying something a 13 year old can use for a while.  For length of pull you can mess around to some extent with thicker buttpads over time, and for draw weight there are plenty of crank-style cocking aids available if he can't yet cock something like a 150 pound Xbow by hand (not suggesting 150 is the minimum you need, just a popular point it seems).

When I was at the Deer Expo in Peoria last summer, I talked to the guys from Gearhead Archery (www.gearheadarchery.com) who had some pretty innovative bows and Xbows on display - lots of skeletonized risers and really short axle to axle lengths - they were light, but pricey.  A crossbow is nose heavy for sure, so shooting from a rest/bipod/monopod is probably wise, especially for a smaller person.  Keep an eye out too in the classifieds, Craigslist, etc - you may be able to grab a good deal on a lightly used one then upgrade him to a higher end one later after he gets some knowledge under his belt for what suits him best.  Good luck!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:20:40 PM »
Barnett recruit is probably the best bang for the buck. It has an adjustable stock, easy to cock and is a small framed bow. If you want the same bow with more speed step up to the Raptor.

I have the first gen Raptor and it is a nice bow. The newer ones are a little faster than mine.

There are probably others in the same price range but that is the one I am the most familiar.

Much likes other things a lot comes down to personal preference and feel.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 02:25:22 PM »
Snort,

Check out the Mission Crossbows, I tried the Parkers and found the Dagger to be lighter and well balanced.
They also have the 320 model for less $$.
NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 04:27:22 PM »
Parker Buck Buster is a light CB to carry.

Other brands have buit in or crank handles which may make it heavier. I am unsure of weight ogf these set ups

Parker has the Concorde CB. Very heavy but cocks and uncocks via Co2 bottle. They dropped thier price on them $600with iluminated scope. The big bix stores have lots of unsold inventory so thier price is double vs. direct from mfg
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 02:54:37 PM »
Check out Amazon, Jap51 told me that he bought his as a Amazon Return for about $150 for the complete package!!!! scope, crossbow, bolts and soft case!!!
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
Butts County Sportsman Asso Member
57+ Years in the woods
19 yrs of Western Elk/Muley Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 10:30:23 AM »
Parker Concorde cross bow price has been reduced on the mfg web site $600 with the illuminated scope.

The big bix stores have yet to match that price.

I have the Buckbuster and Concorde so I can opine on either if curious
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project