New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Reloading?  (Read 380 times)

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Reloading?
« on: January 24, 2018, 06:59:30 AM »
Some of my recent topics may have some going...  ??? While others may react...  @--0--0117 Still more may think I'm...  ##$%#117

I must apologize to the people just considering reloading as a relaxing activity or hobby. I don't mean to scare anyone away from starting. As with most reloaders it becomes more of an addiction than relaxation. Don't worry once you start you'll find out.

Let's face it, when first trying anything new you have questions and concerns. This is natural. My recent topics have dealt with a higher degree of reloading intensity. You don't have to take it the the super intense extreme level that I have, and a few others in the TH family.

The hardware to get started: I'd suggest looking for a used press, the brand doesn't really matter much. Try to pick one up for half the price of new, around 50 bucks. Then a set of dies should run you another 50 bucks or less. Then you'll need a set if calipers, another 25-30 bucks. Length trimmer. which start around 15 bucks for a cartridge specific Lee to upwards of 150. A primer seating tool another 20-40 bucks. Box of bullets 20-60 bucks. Card of primers about 5 bucks. You'll need a powder scale. Again see if you can find a used one otherwise a beam scale is about 30 bucks and digital around 60. Lee die sets and a few others come with the shell holder and powder dipper. A luxury item is a powder trickeler from 15-30 bucks, this allows you to precisely meter out powder. A pound of powder should cost around 30 bucks. So going some quick math your initial investment could be just over 200 dollars.

I seldom recommend a starter kit, they're in my opinion overpriced and rated. However they do have all the hardware required to get started, just add bullets, primer and powder. I'm assuming everyone has their own used brass. I've posted a topic on homemade cleaner solution and resizing lube. If you buy new brass it'll run from 30 up to 100 bucks depending on brand and cartridge.

As everyone here knows by now I have two favorite sayings:

The only stupid question is the one never asked.

And the infamous....

PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE! wait for it... PRACTICE! and PRACTICE SOME MORE!
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
Re: Reloading?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 07:53:49 AM »
Dutch - I agree totally with you....getting reloading isn't cheap! Over the 45+ years that I have reloaded, I have slowly and steadily added to the reloading inventory...even made my own in some cases....

LOL...for the relaxing activity of reloading...yea right!! At time it can be a grueling taste. When you start sizing brass, it is a pains taking process. I put on my magnifying glasses and use another light magnifying glass to look at each piece of brass, let me say that again, look at each piece of brass, before it get into either the full length sizer or neck sizer die.

I agree with Dutch, a starter kit is good, it is a place to start but it is very overrated....Go to garage sales and gun shows, or look at your local range....some body is always selling off their reloading stuff.....

As you get into reloading more and more, you will find that patients pays off!!! Buy the best quality you can afford! And like Dutch always states you got to practice, practice and more practice. I might add it to save your targets, date them, put all the data you can on them, scan them into you computer, and analysis your time at the range...if you do, you will find that magic load, someday...LOL....

Thanks for the post Dutch....I am still in my cleaning process, should be finished next week, then start sizing brass again. Know that I have four of five rifles I need to size brass for.....then on to the range with new loads to test....   
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 08:13:31 AM »
Good points Bo.

I guess we should put some hard numbers into the equation.  @--0--0104

A box of factory loads let's say would average $25 per box of 20.
Honestly you'll save in the neighborhood of $7 per 20 rounds of reloaded ammo.
We can then extrapolate (like that don't cha  @--0--0121) or cipher for you southern boys  ##$%#1119  @--0--0102

If you invest $300 into reloading equipment and supplies you'd have to load around 850 rounds to pay for getting started.

Please correct me if my extrapolation skills have failed me.  @--0--0116 Or if I've used fuzzy math.  @--0--0117
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 01:08:52 PM »
I'm still a newbie to reloading, but really enjoying it.  I started out with a bunch of used equipment that I grabbed at a yard sale for $50, sat on it for ten years before doing anything, and it just gets crazy after that.  Here's the deal, aside from having the ability to load a great round for my needs, reloading has taught me a ton about firearms and that affects my buying decisions for guns, and it has also made me a better marksman as I shoot more than I used to and have learned I really need to be consistent if I'm going to make a reasonable distinction between one load and another.  I wish I had done it years ago.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 02:34:09 PM »
 ##$%#13   ##$%#15  but I like it because it gets me away from the wife   

##$%#13  did I say that out loud    ##$%#15   @--0--0129   ##$%#1118
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 03:59:32 PM »
I started reloading back in '81, when I got started shooting skeet, trying to learn to overcome cross dominance.  Got so I could reload a box of 12 ga skeet loads for $1.75.  At the time, I think they retailed for $4-$5 a box.  From shotshells, I started reloading metallic cartridges.  Years later, I got into casting my own bullets (boolits)  and that is a whole different ball game.  Now, I can reload 45lc for 6 cents each, instead of paying $25 or more for a box of 50 rds, if and when you can find them.  OTH, wheelweights, my main source of raw lead is getting mighty hard to find, so I'm always on the lookout for new sources.  Mosf of my equipment is old,  it was used when I got it.  Been using it for 35 yrs or so and still works great.  Do I find reloading to be relaxing? Yes.  Enjoyable?  Yes. Money saver?  It can be, but it is no longer the main motivation.  Also, by casting your own, you can bring back old rifles and pistols whose ammo is no longer loaded commercially, back to life.  You can go hunting with Gramps old 44-40, or uncle George's 25-20
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 07:02:39 PM »
Dave - you could always set it up as a bonding opportunity with your wife, get a little process flow going for brass prep, weighing loads, seating pills, inspection (I'm sure she'd love to inspect/critique your product)     --099-780

##$%#13

@--0--0136
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 07:09:35 PM »
I got started reloading shotshells back in my college days.   At the time it was cheaper than buying shells for the amount of skeet I was shooting at the time.

Since then the cost of mats has increase to where it is no longer an option for real cost savings.   I do not reload as much as I used to but I do what I do  because I just enjoy shooting ammo I put together myself.

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 09:04:41 PM »
   When I started reloading with my Dad I had to stand on a 5 gallon bucket so I could see. Now 47 years later I'm still doing it and I enjoy it more all the time. 30 years ago I bought a used set of reloading equipment so I would have my own. This summer I built a 12x28 addition on my garage and in one end I built a new and improved loading bench. In the past 3 weekends I have loaded .243 win, 7mm Rem mag. 7mm BR, .223, and 7mm08 shells for a total of over 500 rounds. In the next few weekends I plan on loading more 7mm Rem mag, 30 06, 270 win, 38 special, 357 Maximum and 6mm Creedmoor.  I enjoy reloading as much as the shooting, and it is relaxing for me. I turn on the 80's classic rock radio station and stay out there for hours.

Offline ozarkpugs

• Fawn
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 07:43:18 PM »
What sucks is when you get a new gun and right off the bat find a quality premium factory round that shoots better than you can . Of course there is always the chance you will find a bullet you just have to try that isn't offered in a loaded round so you have no choice than order dies and load up . Soon I will be trying cavity back 6.8 out .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 07:58:00 PM »
I started reloading 18 years ago , at first just for fun I am a black-powder shooter so I had some experience with loading a black-powder gun . In time it turned into finding the best loads for all my center-fire guns and also making loads that are not readily available in the market place , now I got a 6.5 Grendel upper for my ar-15 and will have to load most of the loads I'm looking for , fun fun fun .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

New Page 3

Google Ad