New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: bullet question  (Read 544 times)

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
bullet question
« on: January 23, 2018, 07:15:27 PM »
so I shoot 150 grain bullet for deer right now using factory load. i am going to go to hand loading what difference would 130 grain make beside being 20 grains lighter I am looking at the barnes bullets I can get 150 grain and also 130 grain. I shoot maybe 150 yards and less with my 270 so give me some info
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: bullet question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
You will get more velocity for starters , here's what the Barnes 120gr  7mmx08 looked like after it took down my buck this year after entering his right front chest and ending up just under the shin in his right butt . It took out both his lungs and the top half of his heart on it's way and somehow didn't damage his bowls . The range was 100 yards .   ##$%#1118 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:47:42 PM by sundowner »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:44:51 PM »
Dave, I have a terrible habit of answering a question with other questions, but this is one of those cases where I just can't help myself.  Tell us a little bit about what your reasons are for getting into handloading (welcome to the the addiction by the way!) and what your criteria is for success with that .270.

The 130 grain bullet gives you some opportunity to gain velocity for a flatter trajectory.  While that's good, I'm not sure that for 150 yard shots it would be terribly beneficial (see Dutch's post from a few days ago on "Point Blank Range".)  The lighter pill can be loaded "light" as well vs. your 150 grain factory loads and give you less recoil, making it much more friendly to practice with while maintaining the trajectory you're used to.  As you back down on loads though, I gotta point you to Dutch's recent post on "Load Density" as well, and realize you'll probably lose a bit of accuracy potential (although frankly that can be more than offset by reducing the flinch if the current recoil is more than you or your family members desire).  I like the Barnes bullets, use some in my muzzleloader and in one of my .223 rifles.  They're copper so the same weight bullet is longer than a jacketed lead bullet, and longer means they can be a bit harder to stabilize, so in a slow twist barrel you may need to watch for that (vs. 150 gr factory loads at 150 yards I wouldn't expect it to be a problem).  Tell us a bit more and I expect the wise guys on TH (much smarter than this rookie) can get you started in the right direction.  The cool thing is, you can experiment with all sorts of powder & pill combinations and zero in on what serves you best, it's been very interesting for me since I started on this journey a couple of years ago.

I should also add - 130 grain or 150 grains equals a very dead deer with good shot placement, no worries about whether 130 can do the job on any whitetail walking the planet.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:46:49 PM by Madgomer »
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:58:55 PM »
If you're getting good results with the 150 gr, I see no reason to change to the 130 grain bullet.  Unless, you just want to experiment, which in most cases, it's a valid reason.  I can definitely understand why you would want to reload.  If you really get into reloading, saving money becomes secondary.  Am I talking in circles?
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 05:48:49 AM »
If you're getting good results with the 150 gr, I see no reason to change to the 130 grain bullet.  Unless, you just want to experiment, which in most cases, it's a valid reason.  I can definitely understand why you would want to reload.  If you really get into reloading, saving money becomes secondary.  Am I talking in circles?

##$%#117 Makes perfect sense to me!?*/?#!  ##$%#1119  --099-780 Sorry Louie I just never pass up an opportunity to agree...  --099-780

Words of advice... Wait 'til pa sees this topic. dave you're gonna be in trouble...  @--0--0128 He has posted before that "THE" bullet and powder combination for the 270 is 130gr pill and H4831 powder. I believe the 270Win was designed with the 130's in mind. Guess what... it even works in 270WSM's too, I just use H4831SC instead.

It all really boils down to whatever you're satisfied with when it comes to performance results.

OBTW... Welcome to the "POWDER HEAD" CLUB dave... you'll fit right in buddy...  @--0--0123
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 08:23:29 AM »
Dave - I own four 270 Win and two 270WSM and one 270 Wea...I like to shoot in them what is the most accurate load I can find for them....I know I have a ton of 308's but the 270 was my first real rifle I bought after getting out of college...then the following year put a Leupold VX2 2-7X on it....after looking/studying at all the ballistics on the three factory round the 100 gn, 130 gn and the 150 gn, decided to try the 130 Winchester Bronze Points (remember those - I still have a few left from way back when) back then. Have not got into reloading yet, it would be a couple of more years before I did that.....but decided on the 130 gn bullet....once I got into reloading back in early 1972, got RCBS dies for my 270 Win and then for my first 308.....I have keep every piece of brass and every target I shot in the 270 Win...see attached picture taken in the fall of 1973 and developed in jan 1974....wow, time flies when you are having a good time.....I have gone from IMR4350 to IMR4831 to H4350 and now using the H4831 powder for this rifle....but you name the powder and I have tried it...have to much powder in the house here!!!

Over the years, I have use all the bullets in trying to find that magic load for this rifle..it is a Winchester 70A (same as the Remington ADL...cheap stock) and have settled on the 140 grain Nosler Ballistic tip....I have come to settle on the 130 Accubond and the 140 Gn Seirra GK and Ballistic Tip for most of my loads in the 270....but I will let the rifle tell me which bullet it likes...the deer size game then even a 100 gn would be fine....but for larger game you got to look at the heavier bullets like the 150 and 160 Gn bullets...I have boxes of 90 gn and 160 gn Sierra GK bullets available for reloading but the Barnes and the Partition and to be use for Elk and Black Bears...I would not recommend a 270 for Brown or bigger Bears!!! Plains game in Africa I would recommend that you use a Barnes or Accubond bullet for those critter.... 

So Dave - shoot what give you the best accuracy. I have to agree with Louie, if the 130 gn is accurate enough for you then why change, unless?? Yes, welcome to reloading....LOL...you will enjoy it....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 02:31:58 PM »
so been reloading for several years am use the Remington 150 grain core locks but the last deer I shot with it the bullet came apart after I skinned it so I want something different I use the barnes in my muzzleloader and love them want to stick with 150 grain bullets but have read that lighter bullet will give you flatter trajectory   so I want to ask the peanut gallery what you all think

reloading is like a fine wine the more you work with it the smoother is gets
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 07:18:41 PM »
The bullet selection game is always a fun one, especially for hunting.  You want expansion, but you want it to stay in one chunk, of course you want accuracy with it all, and the bullet alone doesn't control all of those outcomes.  Core Lokts have taken a few bajillion deer over the years, but with any good bullet I'm sure one comes apart once in a while.  Without a doubt you can achieve flatter velocity with the 130, but again that may not be terribly useful to you at the range you stated.  The solid construction of the Barnes in general should help it stay together.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 09:22:45 PM »
 Welcome to reloading. An awesome hobby. TH will be a great resource. I have used 120, 130, and 140 grain on deer. Never tracked a deer. Barnes 120, 130 Nosler  BT, Sierra HP. I hunt the woods so no real long shots. I like the lower recoil of the 120 and 130 bullets.  For black bear I use Sierra 150 RN. Shot two both went about 20 yards. The 270 is a great caliber. The knowledge you gain from reloading will make you a better shot. Reloading will give you the opportunity to shot more. This will make you a better shot. This will make you a more successful hunter.   --09--0
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline ozarkpugs

• Fawn
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 07:33:26 AM »
At the range you describe any 270 bullet means dead deer .if you are concerned about no exit wound use a nosler  partition or Accubond .The front of the partition is soft and causes massive damage and the solid rear portion exits , At 270 velocity Accubond does almost as much damage but leaves a large round exit .As far as weight bullet under 300 yards deer Don't care use what is most accurate if they are equal 130 less recoil .As far as mono bullets the cavity back  6.8 (270 bullets) are the greatest bullets ever at 6.8 spc2 VELOCITY so look at them for sure . Do not fall into the max velocity trap ,the 270 was designed to stretch the parent 30/06 range by using faster lighter lower recoil rounds if you are not going to shoot +300 find an accurate load with a powder that is not overly temp sensitive and don't worry if it is not the fastest .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

New Page 3

Google Ad