New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Zombie Deer  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
Zombie Deer
« on: January 22, 2018, 06:38:47 PM »
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:43:41 PM by Bearclaw »
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Zombie Deer
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »
i always herd we couldn't catch CWD. just to be sure, i don't eat any organs. ie heart, liver brain...

boy does that steak in the picture look tasty  ##$%#111
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 07:39:07 PM »
I have always read that we couldn't only because they said there was no research to show that we could. I've never believed that and wouldn't eat any meat from a deer with suspected CWD. Just don't trust the 'experts' that don't have any concrete evidence either way.
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:41:58 PM »
Please don't interpret my comments to mean that I don't think CWD is a serious problem, I think it is for a multitude of reasons.  However, that article is pretty bad, full of speculative comments and some statements that are just factually off the mark.  The whole "bone meal from infected sheep" comment is completely without scientific merit for example.  This topic is pretty near and dear to me & my sisters, as my mother passed away from CJD nearly 30 years ago.  CJD and CWD and Mad Cow Disease (BSE) are all very closely related diseases and much has yet to be learned about all three.  When my mother passed away it was stated that this was very rare, approximately 1 person in 5 million, whereas now it is stated to be 2-3 per million deaths.  Is that because the illness is increasing?  Probably not, most signs simply point to better diagnosis.  When Mom passed, we authorized an autopsy and until that time did not have a diagnosis.  Now today there are tests which can indicate the likelihood of the disease and even brain biopsies which can be done to accurately diagnose it while the patient is still alive.  Given that there is currently no known treatment, that diagnosis really only serves to confirm things and rule out various other treatment options.  Not something you ever want to see a loved one go through, but then again neither is cancer or a host of other very ugly ailments.  I have to really question the journalistic skills of the author, or question his motivation with writing it.  Fear mongering, which seems to be all the rage these days, is probably in play, and then you start to wonder what outcome he's trying to create.  Sorry, kind of a hot button topic for me, just wanted to encourage everyone to filter that article appropriately.  Sadly I believe those diseases are here to stay for a long time to come, but I wonder just how long they've been with us, undiagnosed.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 08:33:46 PM »
A friend from Louisianna sent the same article to me today.  He does not hunt at all, but knows I do.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 08:41:44 PM »
mad- are you kidding???? a journalist that doesn't know what they are talking about??? that would be wrong, wouldn't it? sorry for my lack of respect for that "profession"  @--0--0117

i'm on the same page as you. give me science not bs
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 09:28:55 PM »
A friend from Louisianna sent the same article to me today.  He does not hunt at all, but knows I do.
Louie, a friend of mine from church about 15 years or so ago had just gotten interested in hunting and was getting started bowhunting on his in-law's land.  His mother-in-law got wind of the CWD topic from a report similar to this one (years before we ever had a confirmed case of it around these parts) and put a total stop on the whole thing.  He got a little button buck his first fall and ended up tossing most of it out due to the hysteria in the family over CWD.  If people stopped to think about the real risks we all face every day with the food we eat, accidents, etc, I'm pretty sure a bunch of people around us would just go into complete gridlock and stop breathing.
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 07:44:46 PM »
mad- are you kidding???? a journalist that doesn't know what they are talking about??? that would be wrong, wouldn't it? sorry for my lack of respect for that "profession"  @--0--0117

i'm on the same page as you. give me science not bs
Preach brother....I totally agree!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 03:24:49 PM »
i always herd we couldn't catch CWD. just to be sure, i don't eat any organs. ie heart, liver brain...

Yari, that steak is way too rare! I like my meat done with no chance of a bug surviving!

I don't eat any organ meat either.
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 04:08:34 PM »

Yari, that steak is way too rare! I like my meat done with no chance of a bug surviving!

I don't eat any organ meat either.

looks good to me. i don't like gray meat as it has lost most of it's flavor. i have to cook my mom's gray and it pains me to do so
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline ozarkpugs

• Fawn
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 08:14:41 AM »
Our area in mo. tested all the deer taken opening weekend and thankfully it didn't show up . Our legislatures are so beholding to deer farms that they are attempting to take conservation over . Conservation wanted a barrier fence between pen deer and wildlife but deer farms argued it was the wild deer infecting their deer and should not have to build a barrier . REALLY wild deer are potentially infecting your deer and you aren't wanting a fence to stop wild deer from wiping out your millions of dollars worth of deer!!! Must have those deer insured well . I think mo.had 15 deer test positive this past season .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 10:02:27 AM »
Ozarkpugs - welcome to TH, what part of MO are your in?   

Pretty ridiculous that the people with the deer farms can make such a ludicrous statement - the entire continent would be full of CWD if in fact it was so prevalent that it is spread from the wild herd into the deer farms.  The high animal density and lack of genetic diversity for the farmed deer is a problem with respect to CWD, and then when those animals escape or are released it spreads much more rapidly.  Again, I strongly suspect CWD has existed for a very long time, but in the wild with the lower population densities it's much less likely to be a problem even though the wild herd is much larger now than it was several decades ago.
and enjoy it!

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 02:01:02 PM »
Our area in mo. tested all the deer taken opening weekend and thankfully it didn't show up . Our legislatures are so beholding to deer farms that they are attempting to take conservation over . Conservation wanted a barrier fence between pen deer and wildlife but deer farms argued it was the wild deer infecting their deer and should not have to build a barrier . REALLY wild deer are potentially infecting your deer and you aren't wanting a fence to stop wild deer from wiping out your millions of dollars worth of deer!!! Must have those deer insured well . I think mo.had 15 deer test positive this past season .

I raised whitetail deer for 24 yrs and there is no insurance for whitetail deer. Insurance companies stand on their reasoning that there is not a standard market for value of whitetail deer. (normal livestock can be insured because of daily market value.) Most common reason for fighting the double fence is due to the cost.

Secondly I think it is ironic that the government agencies pointing the blame for CWD, were the ones that introduced the disease into the wildlife population.

I could get on a soap box about this for days,but I will leave it be.

Offline ozarkpugs

• Fawn
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 03:12:32 PM »
Ozarkpugs - welcome to TH, what part of MO are your in?   

Pretty ridiculous that the people with the deer farms can make such a ludicrous statement - the entire continent would be full of CWD if in fact it was so prevalent that it is spread from the wild herd into the deer farms.  The high animal density and lack of genetic diversity for the farmed deer is a problem with respect to CWD, and then when those animals escape or are released it spreads much more rapidly.  Again, I strongly suspect CWD has existed for a very long time, but in the wild with the lower population densities it's much less likely to be a problem even though the wild herd is much larger now than it was several decades ago.
South Central mo. I agree with you on it being ridiculous and the argument that it's not worth it to build a fence around the pen deer to protect them is absurd .One day I was watching a " hunting show"and the hunters were in a blind whispering nervously because the monster buck kept looking their way then they broke for a commercial and told where they were hunting ,20 miles south of me at a local deer farm / "hunting service . You can stop the car and go up to the fence and pet the deer so I'm sure the guide was behind the blind waving a feed bag to get the deer to look their way . That same year 2 lowlife poachers killed 2 bucks in the same field in one night and got caught ,as it was right down the road from the farm wardens asked if it was their deer but the farm said they had not lost any . One was around 200 "  and the other 180" .we don't see deer that big in our part of the state .

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 08:37:33 PM »
I suspect when those farms have bucks that aren't living up to their expectations they turn them loose rather than paying for food & vet expenses and risking having one of them breed a doe or injure a "prettier" buck in the pen.  And yeah, in that area those cast-offs probably trump most of the natural herd but certainly raise a potential for risk of CWD transmission.
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad