New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Point Blank Range  (Read 615 times)

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Point Blank Range
« on: January 21, 2018, 08:40:59 AM »
What is “Point Blank Range (PBR),” and what does it mean? Defined, point blank range is the range at which you don’t need to aim high or low to hit your aiming point. Maximum Point Blank Range (MPBR) is simply the farthest end of that distance or true zero range.

Here's the opening of this article. I could not get the article to format got an server error message. I've attached in PDF.

Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
Re: Point Blank Range
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:59:45 AM »
Good info and a good refresher DH, thank you for posting the link
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »
I always considered point blank as "being at the end of your barrel" or so close you do not need to use sights (just point and shoot).

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 12:48:15 PM »
Dutch - there's a couple of glitches in their table.  They start out saying that on a deer, the kill zone is about 6" high for heart/lung - I agree with that.  But in their table they claim MPBR is 280 with a trajectory that goes 6" above the line of sight & 9" below at 280.  That would be true if you had a 15" kill zone to work with, but MPBR in that trajectory curve is quite a bit less than 280 if you're pursuing something with a 6" kill zone. 

I've been playing around trying to work out my MPBR for coyotes with my AR, but struggling to find consistent info for the kill zone on a yote - would be curious how big you guys think it is.  I know I have at least 200 yards, so should probably just be satisfied given that I probably won't ever have a shot that far around here.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 06:03:48 AM »
Mag you're right the far PBR should be 265.

Here's a PBR for a 50gr 224 pill pushed at 3200. I used a 4" vitals zone which I've always used for yotes.

Drag Function: G1
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.242
Initial Velocity: 3200 fps
Sight Height : 1.5 in
Target Size: 4 in

Near Zero:   32 yards
Far Zero:   214 yards
Minimum PBR:   0 yards
Maximum PBR:   249 yards
Sight-in at 100yds:     1.8" high
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 05:24:54 PM »
http://www.talkhuntin.com/index.php?topic=39623.msg628845#msg628845

I posted this back in 2014. It is a old 1983 Outdoor Life Article that is from that era. It made up of the most popular calibers of the day and it compares to each other. There is not a lot of difference between all of them...but that was way back when...some of the calibers apply today and some don't, just enjoy a walk from the past. The article parameters are a 6 inside diameter pipe. The bullet cannot rise more than 3" above bore and drop no more than 3"....

Today things are much different, BC has gotten better, computer analysis has change the world, back in 83 there was computers but it was DOS days back then, no cell phones, no apps, no nothing, I was the remote growing up...LOL....

Bo
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 06:00:28 PM »
Thanks for the reference point DH.  With my two favorite loads on my AR I'm at about 225 MPBR using a 4" kill zone.  My scope sits 2 & 7/8" above the bore so technically I'm off a little on the up close & personal shots, but I'll accommodate those rare occasions with a little manual adjustment. 

()*$%RT
and enjoy it!

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 06:07:26 PM »
Thanks for the reference point DH.  With my two favorite loads on my AR I'm at about 225 MPBR using a 4" kill zone.  My scope sits 2 & 7/8" above the bore so technically I'm off a little on the up close & personal shots, but I'll accommodate those rare occasions with a little manual adjustment. 

()*$%RT
More commonly known as KW ( Kentucky Windage )  --099-780
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 07:12:04 PM »

()*$%RT
Yeah Gutshot, I actually had that typed, but then realized "wait, it's elevation, not windage" so tried something different to avoid the wrath of Dutch.  I hear he's like those nuns in the Catholic schools & likes to smack us kids across the knuckles with a ruler when we screw up!
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 07:19:26 PM »
classic john wayne 'windage and elevation'. -0078
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 04:51:19 AM »

()*$%RT
Yeah Gutshot, I actually had that typed, but then realized "wait, it's elevation, not windage" so tried something different to avoid the wrath of Dutch.  I hear he's like those nuns in the Catholic schools & likes to smack us kids across the knuckles with a ruler when we screw up!

Kneeling on pencils is my fav punishment.  >:( Just so you know I wasn't even going to bring up "windage". But now that that cat is outa da bag get ready for next installment.  @--0--0104  @--0--0117
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
TO old to care!

New Page 3

Google Ad