New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: It all comes down to one last shot  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
It all comes down to one last shot
« on: January 13, 2018, 06:06:49 PM »
Tomorrow marks the end of whitetail archery season here in IL.  I hope to get out tomorrow afternoon for one last shot.  They're calling for snow tomorrow night, so maybe them little buggers will be up trying to feed ahead of the storm.  Got out this evening, didn't see a thing but busted a pair on my walk back out.  Yesterday afternoon I got out and snuck to the back of the property, decided to just sit on the ground due to the cold and wind.  Was pretty crunchy in the woods - all the snow melted on Thurs but we then got some freezing drizzle that night & all the oak leaves are pretty deep.  Just as I was on my knees doing a little housecleaning at the tree/deadfall I was going to set up in, a pile of deer came trotting down the hillside about 120 yards away.  Had my X-bow cocked but nothing nocked, so did that quick and tried to slowly rotate around to a sitting position.  Was a bit awkward with the way one leg was bent behind me, but didn't want to chance any more movement.  Roughly six of them came straight towards me, they fanned out & were sniffing around for acorns.  I only had a couple of shooting lanes through all of the honeysuckle and multiflora rose, and pretty soon one of them must have figured out something was wrong and bolted.  The others all followed.  They only went about 70-80 yards, looking around & sniffing, apparently didn't know what exactly was up, and started slowly meandering back towards me.  Leg is starting to scream by now but still didn't feel I could get away with a move.  Within 15 minutes they're back in range - I had one at about 20 steps but behind a bunch of junk, and another looking straight at me at about 15 steps.  Debated putting one straight down the middle of her ribcage, but held off, as I'm right next to a subdivision and really didn't want to risk having a poor shot and a deer dropping in someone's yard (or off the property).  Thought about putting one right in the middle of the white throat patch but had a limb in the way.  After about 10 minutes of face-off, she had enough and bailed, taking the rest with her.  I was looking pretty much into the sun, so I'm guessing she got a glint off my scope lens.  Again they didn't go out of sight, but at least far enough that I felt I could attempt to get my leg back in front of me, so I did that after about 5 minutes, only to have two more off to my left start snorting.  They were almost dead downwind.  Those two meandered around for another 15-20 minutes before finally going over the hill.  That's the way it is here this time of year - you either get a whole herd in front of you with a dozen (or more) sets of eyes, or you see nothing.  We'll give it one more go tomorrow & then call it a year.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: It all comes down to one last shot
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 06:52:15 PM »
Our rifle season ends tomorrow also...I've got to take my wife to the airport in the morning for an early flight so I've called it a season. Best of luck to you on that last opportunity.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 07:45:10 PM »
Our's ended last Sunday , good luck .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 09:11:06 PM »
Good luck Mad!!
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 09:51:04 PM »
Yeah, good luck tomorrow!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 06:01:58 AM »
Good luck! Sounds they are in the area, just need a break! Hope it works out!!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 06:11:27 AM »
Good luck Mad

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 08:01:50 AM »
good luck....makes it tougher when you have to consider where they might run if you shoot...always next year to look forward to

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 06:07:00 PM »
Just before the buzzer, he picks up his dribble, releases the three pointer, nothing but net, crowd goes wild!!!   Ok, that is probably stretching it a bit for a nine yard shot from the Xbow on a small doe, but you gotta have a little fun, no?  My day was kind of the opposite of what HM experienced a couple of days ago, so pretty grateful. Snuck to the back end of the property again, but climbed a tree this time, sat in the same stand I shot the 8 point from in late October.  12 minutes later, the deed was done.  She came walking through nearly underneath me, the bolt was buried in the frozen ground about two steps from where the bolt came through the eight point, yep you can call it a funnel for sure.  She turned left and took a couple of leaps, and I could see the blood pouring out.  She walked a bit, stopped and stood for about five seconds, and tipped over, never twitched, 33 yards from the shot.  Now I gotta decide if I'm cutting her up tomorrow or donating her.  Will make some calls tonight to see if anyone locally can use the meat, I have plenty.  Good way to end the season today, God is indeed good.
and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 06:08:32 PM »
 ##$%#111  when do we eat     
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 06:29:34 PM »
Come on over Dave, I'll cook up the tenderloins for us!
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 06:55:14 PM »
Congrats, Roger!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 07:28:42 PM »
Congrats! Nice job and nice finish!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 08:03:27 PM »
Congrats, that will be some good eating.

What bow are you using?  I can't quite tell from the picture.

How do you like the reverse draw?
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 08:15:47 PM »
congrats on the doe , should be good eating .  ##$%#1118