New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: bad luck from dawn to dusk...  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
bad luck from dawn to dusk...
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:30:05 AM »
Wednesday was going to be the last day of dear season I was going to be able to go on so I planned to hunt both morning and afternoon. I spent Tuesday night at the cabin anticipating one last opportunity to fill a tag.

Wednesday morning, when the alarm went off, I realized I had set the alarm for the time I was supposed to leave and not the time I was supposed to get up. I quickly dressed, grabbed a coke to drink on the way and hauled tail. I got in the blind beside the small food plot just as light was starting to show. I sat for 3 hours with no deer seen. A turkey, however, thought it would be awesome to gobble at me from a nearby hill. About the time I decided to leave, my stomach made a gurgling sound, probably from drinking a coke so early in the morning, and I barely made it out of the blind in time to use the emergency paper I carry with me. Walking back to the truck, I got to use the rest of it on a second stop. Great.... what a great start to the day....

I had to work (from the cabin) for a few hours in the middle of the day but my plan was to eat lunch at 1:00, take a quick shower and leave for the same blind at 1:30. At 1:30 I was finally done with work and had to skip the shower to get to the blind by 2:00. As I was loading a few things in the truck, an old man pulled in to my cabin in a jeep. He introduced himself as the county property tax accessor and was there to see the cabin for a raise in my property taxes. Now, I figured this was coming so I wasn't upset about the taxes, but the timing sucked. He spent 3 minutes asking official questions and 15 minutes telling me what the area looked like back when he was a kid when George Washington was president.

As soon as he left, I finished loading my gear and finally left around 1:45 for the lease. I had gone a few miles down the road when I rounded a curve and very quickly came face to face with a truck that had slid off the road and was nosed into a ditch. I stopped in time but saw that there was someone in the truck so I pulled over beside him. he was OK but was definitely shook up and stuck with most of his truck blocking the lane. I told him I had a chain at the cabin and could pull him out. So, I went back to the cabin, got a chain, maneuvered around the police that had shown up to block traffic and got him pulled out. Then I had to take the chain back to the cabin because it was the one I use to secure the entrance gate and I wasn't coming back to the cabin after the hunt. Its now 2:30 and I almost decided to call it a day, especially with the streak of bad luck that was going on but I decided the hunt most go on. It was to be the last hunt of the year.

I got to the lease around 2:45 and realized I left my boots on the cabin porch. I had forgotten to grab them when I got done with the tax guy.. Im wearing socks and crocks.... I almost quit again but decided to go on. It was a warm day, the only one this week, so I just grabbed the bow, and started walking. My socks got a little wet walking down the wet, muddy road. they got a lot wet when I crossed the creek to get to the blind.. oh joy...

I got settled in the blind around 3:00 and realized I left my backpack in the truck. That wasn't a huge deal because the only thing I was really going to miss was my flashlight and a bottled water. I knew I could get back to the truck in the dark so I wasn't worried. The only thing I would need a light for was to track a deer and since I haven't seen a deer in a quite awhile, who needs a light? Right?

At 4:30, 9 does showed up at the feeder in the food plot... 9! I haven't seen a deer in a month and now I have 9! My luck was about to change. at 4:45 I drew the bow and picked out one of the big girls at 35 yards. Well within my range. I let the arrow fly and it hit her about 6 inches behind the shoulder about mid way up. It was a killer shot. I saw about 6 to 8 inches of arrow sticking out of her as she and the other 8 does scattered. Of course she ran straight away from me, straight up the tallest hill we have we call pikes peak. I wasn't worried, it was a great shot and I knew the 2 blade rage would do its job pretty quick. I gave her about 15 minutes then went to look for blood.

I found a little blood about 20 yards from where I shot her and it soon turned into a great blood trail I could easily follow at a quick walk. After 100 yards, it started to lessen, at 120 yards it stopped. Now its about dark and I have no light. I decided to walk back to the truck, get my light, call bugfixer and wait for reinforcements.

When bug got there we walked back, crossing the creek for the third time in crocks. I had hung my jacket on a limb at the last blood so we could start from there. First mistake - My black and green jacket that I now had to find in the dark... brilliant idea...  We finally found the jacket and trailed drops of blood for about 400 more yards. then nothing...  we spread out for a last ditch effort to just visually find her but no luck. Of course not. Why would I think luck would be on my side today? We had to call it quits. it was around 7 PM, i had cold, wet feet and was wore out from walking up and down pikes peak. Not to mention all the slipping and sliding down the hill in wore out crocks...  Second mistake, when we first found my black and green jacket, I didn't grab it as we continued tracking. Now I had to go find it again. After finding it for the second time, we headed for the truck. The temps were in the high 50s and would stay in the 50s all night so continuing the search the next day wasn't possible. I had lost her..  Now all of you know the pain of losing an animal so on top of it all, I was upset about that. We called off the search, and I went home to take a shower and pout.

After showering, getting a glass of a good bourbon over ice and plopping down on the couch, I had time to reflect on my unlucky day... Time to really think if it was unlucky...

I was able to wake up this morning, even though I was late. Many people in the world didn't wake up this morning.

I was friendly to an old tax man who had a crappy job and I made his day a little easier. I was his good luck.

I helped a stranger get his truck out of the ditch making his bad day just a little better. I was his good luck.

It was a warm day so the crocks didn't prevent me going like it would have just a few days ago...

I got to spend some time in the woods. Many people will never know the enjoyment and peace that brings...

Bug and I got to have another adventure looking for my deer. Even though we didn't find her, we did enjoy the adventure...

Between bug and his kids, they took 3 deer this year and since we always split the meat, my freezer wont be empty.

So, I guess my day wasn't so bad after all... 

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:38:35 AM by Hunt Master »
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: bad luck from dawn to dusk...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:54:09 AM »
Sounds like a fun and exciting day to me, except for a few things LOL Sorry you didn't find the deer, but it's another memory of a day that will be in your journal forever. Thanks for sharing your day with us, I enjoyed it.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Online MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:05:37 AM »
Sounds like an exciting day, just glad it was you and not me!!!  Lol
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 10:13:59 AM »
Remember,
Any day hunting is better than a day NOT hunting.   @--0--0119

Now, you have a GREAT Story to tell.    ##$%#1118

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:23:09 AM »
Sounds like a very interesting day for sure, but like you said. When you think your day is the worst, just stop and think for a minute because so many people have it MUCH worse. I'm sure that really don't help not finding your doe, but I believe everyone knows what I mean. 

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 11:43:20 AM »
Great story , always great to spend time in the woods .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 11:59:05 AM »
It takes having days like that to make you really appreciate the good days and after you thought about it wasn't as bad as it could have been for sure.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 06:17:40 PM »
All in all when you took the time to reflect on things, not such a bad day after all. We all hate it when we're not able to recover our harvest but it's always nice to spend time in the woods and sometimes our luck seem to get away from us, but memories are built. Thanks for sharing your day with us and if I may make another suggestion...it's time for another Bourbon on the rocks!!!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 06:58:07 PM »
Good perspective on the day HM, sorry you couldn't catch up with that doe, but it has happened to just about all of us.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 10:12:24 PM »
An epic adventure!  ##$%#1118
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 08:16:07 AM »
wow....glad to hear your reflection time was better than part of your day...like others have said it will make you really appreciate those good days that will be coming

Offline Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 12:15:59 PM »
HM, you helped out your fellow ma(en) changing your own plans.  Great hunt and to finally see deer.  I'm sorry you didn't recover your deer.  This happened twice to me, once in Arkansas with lots of blood, followed it with a dog.  The buck went down a steep hill and went across the river!!!  Last week we looked for over two hours for a doe, again with lots of  bright blood, all of sudden it became dots and it abruptly stopped.

I still had fun and I'm sure you did as well.  You will be rewarded by the Deer Gods for all your kind gestures!!   
NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 12:27:08 PM »
Just like the song says HM , if I didn't have bad lick I woldn't have luck atall...happens to me all the time..normal for me ;D
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 03:04:36 PM »
All I can say is : STUFF HAPPENS!! Better luck next time. @--0--0101
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline yari

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 04:49:39 PM »
mamma always said there would be days like that. you had several of them days all wrapped in one. bummer on the doe though. that eats at you for a while.
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad