New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: time to start grinding  (Read 1001 times)

Offline OLD FLORIDA GATOR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • OLD FLORIDA GATOR
time to start grinding
« on: January 08, 2018, 03:25:18 PM »
all the venison has been deboned and sliced up for grinding , time to make some burger meat .  will add pieces of bacon in with the grind.  should improve the flavor . 
QDMA, NRA, LIFE LONG DEER HUNTER, OLD DOG HUNTER.UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA ALUMNI.
DEER MANAGER   QDMA DEER STEWARD 1

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: time to start grinding
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 03:40:30 PM »
Sounds like a good idea .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 03:45:46 PM »
That bacon should be just right!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:01:43 PM »
I need to start thawing some of my venison, so I can start canning it! 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 06:38:03 AM »
all the venison has been deboned and sliced up for grinding , time to make some burger meat .  will add pieces of bacon in with the grind.  should improve the flavor .

That will Work.    ##$%#111

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 08:42:31 AM »
Happy grinding, you should make some sausage while you are at the grinder.  ##$%#11 ##$%#11
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 09:19:15 AM »
Sounds good!!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • OLD FLORIDA GATOR
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 06:54:35 PM »
WELL BOYS ADDING BACON JUST CLOGGED UP MY GRINDER WE STOPPED AND GROUND UP JUST THE VENISON AS IS .  NOW I NEED TO KNOW HOW THE WHITE FAT FOUND IN THE MEAT WILL AFFECT THE FLAVOR . THIS DEER WAS FEEDING ON SOYBEANS WHEN HARVESTED LAST NOVEMBER IN BERTIE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA. 

SO WE DID NOT ADD THE BACON AS PLANNED.

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 08:44:47 PM »
OFG,
There are a couple of ways, maybe, to make that grinder eat bacon properly. ##$%#1119  Tighten the plate against the knife a little bit more than normal, carefully and every thing always grinds better it is almost frozen. 
We used to add beef fat to make venison burger that would make a "hamburger patty".  Then we started grinding plain venison for use in spaghetti sauces and meat for chili or goulash.  Wife said, "Just brown it and not have to pour the fat off. We used to add something called 50/50 pork trim to make sausage, then went to using Boston Butts (pork shoulder).  We also remove every possible piece of venison fat and silver skin for the better meats.  The sausage meat which is "junk meat", shanks, rib meat and trim usually has some fat that is almost impossible to remove.  Probably not impossible but time consuming and not practical.
It'll be March before we start grinding as our season runs almost through February, maybe I'll have some more meat to add to the pile.
Just my 2 cents worth, I love grinding and making sausages! ##$%#111
Treefarmer

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 10:10:42 PM »
I have been making venison breakfast sausage for a while now.  Found a simple recipe online.  Mix 1 lb of ground venison with 1 lb of ground pork, add some spices, make into patties and freeze until needed.  It's pretty good, and the grandkids love it.  They don't make good guinea pigs, they eat and like most any type of food.  A couple of them like venison heart with breakfast.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • OLD FLORIDA GATOR
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 08:27:42 AM »
thanks tree farmer appreciate   your comments , good luck hope you bag a big one. we are done for this season will be going back to our lease once the logging is done , will have see what is left .

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 11:10:32 AM »
Michigan Louie,
I also enjoy making breakfast sausage and I buy my pork butts and spices at a local butcher shop. I have some information I want to share with you. Last year when I went in to buy my spices and pork, the butcher said to me "do you know what the secret is to excellent breakfast sausage?" I said no and he said you need to add maple syrup to it. I did and it was amazing, now all my friends ask me for it and the syrup makes it incredibly good. Please try some and let me know, you won't be disappointed
.Fox
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Online yari

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 04:46:37 PM »
there is a salami recipe in BOWHUNTING WORLD this month that looks good. i wish i had some venison to try it out. for now, the recipe is in the book for future use
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 06:02:56 PM »
WELL BOYS ADDING BACON JUST CLOGGED UP MY GRINDER WE STOPPED AND GROUND UP JUST THE VENISON AS IS .  NOW I NEED TO KNOW HOW THE WHITE FAT FOUND IN THE MEAT WILL AFFECT THE FLAVOR . THIS DEER WAS FEEDING ON SOYBEANS WHEN HARVESTED LAST NOVEMBER IN BERTIE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA. 

SO WE DID NOT ADD THE BACON AS PLANNED.
You got to freeze the bacon before you grind it, I lay it out on a cookie sheet 2 strips deep and stick inthe freezer til it is frozen pretty good. Grind all the deer meat and then the bacon then mix it. I do it and it works well.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 07:44:22 PM »
OFG - per the advice from several others, you definitely want the bacon chilled (frozen or nearly so) to avoid just getting smeary and plugging up the works.  As for the venison fat, you'll want to get as much of that out of the meat as possible (obviously easier to do before grinding) but a little isn't the end of the world. If the deer was chilled down quickly it may not be too bad, but it can bring in a strong/rancid taste if there's too much or it hung for a while before being chilled, I try to eliminate it all. 

For our ground venison I generally go with 10% beef tallow, ideally that nice white kidney knob fat if you can get it.  When you brown that stuff, there's really no need to drain the meat and it's still enough to keep things moist.  Can't tell you how many hundreds of pounds of that we've had in chili, tacos, lasagna, spaghetti etc over the years, never a problem with it.

The breakfast sausage suggestions here are making me hungry, I have about 15 pounds of boned venison in the freezer that I don't have plans for - will have to ask the wifey to get me some maple syrup, but it's gonna be a slow process with that little grinder of mine.   ##$%#111
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad