New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Finally had it with the cold.  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Finally had it with the cold.
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 10:37:57 AM »
Our Minds can handle Old Age!   ##$%#1119

Our Bodies have the problem!   @--0--0100

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 10:50:45 AM »

HM, I think you nailed it on the age aspect. I no longer have the disire or drive to just suffer through it any more.

With age comes wisdom and wisdom is telling me to look for warmer hunting grounds and in the intirim  put some closable glass windows in my hut.  LOL
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 12:21:19 PM »
This is the way we feel now!

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 02:04:43 PM »
Well said HM - used to be sort of a badge of honor to get out there & suffer through cold weather, long walks, etc - not so much these days.  I think the other thing taking place as we get older is our metabolism & blood circulation aren't what they were in our youth, causing us to feel cold at those temps we used to handle without complaint . . .
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 06:04:14 PM »
I agree, Well said, Hunt Master!  I'm at the 71 year stage and have just realized how much I have slowed down, even this year.  I hunted 3 times with my grandsons at Thanksgiving, very enjoyable weather.  They left the 1st morning of a 2 day doe season.  That afternoon I went to the lease and killed a doe.  I missed a whole week of the M/L season because of rainy, cool weather, such as that used to not bother me.  On Nov. 9 I went in the afternoon and killed a little buck on our place. Around 40 degrees, tractor wouldn't start, too cold, no loader to get the deer to the house.  Me and my wife loaded him on the cart, just ain't easy any more, me with artificial knee and hip, bad shoulders and she a heart by-pass survivor, can y'all see old and feeble being described? ##$%#1119
Here it is December 28 and I've been to a stand one time since November 9th.  I used to go nearly every afternoon. @--0--0117  Got 2 doe days this weekend, I'm going to try to bust another nanny on the lease.  Our rut hasn't started yet and we hunt through February.  We used to put at least 3 in the freezer each year and sometimes more but the fire just ain't there anymore. 
If some of these young Nimrods would just bring me  2 or 3 old does I'd be happy and well fed. We do all of our processing at home.  Used to crank one out in the evenings after work, except for the sausage.  Now it takes a couple of days.
I mentioned the lease, last year I only went hunting on it 2 times, is it worth it?
The last few days have been miserable here in the Panhandle, in the high 40's with a constant light rain or mist.  I know it doesn't come close to what our Northern friends are experiencing but as HM said, "It's all relative!"
Treefarmer

Online MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 08:05:41 PM »
I was out this afternoon, about 10 degrees out.  Fortunately, I didn't have to wait very long, about 20 minutes, before 4 does came in.  10 minutes later, 3 left in a big hurry, but one stayed.  She is hanging in my garage now. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 09:52:55 PM »
Same experiences as many have commented on.

I got into hunting late as not much opportunity to hunt in NYC.   ()*$%RT  (*&^&%# usually there people hunted people!

I Took up hunting late and started in PA when I was about 30. NY state is big but not as target rich for deer as PA was. It did not take long for me to catch the hunting bug!

My 1st hunting duds from Dunkleberger’s in Stroudsburg was a basic orange blaze jacket not built for any true insulation value. Blue jeans and uninsulated workman’s boots, an unisnulated blaze orange baseball cap and some cheap gloves. wow.

I would ground hunt with my butt on the dirt, it would snow and bury my legs. I could sit like that for hours!

Alabama and Alabama when I hunted can get cold and I upped my gear. Not as much as up here in the commie NY/NJ area.

Up here, I wound up spending a lot on the ‘better’ gear.

Now my gear is all Gor-Tex Cabelas MT050 Camo like,  lacrosse burly  insulated knee high boots, Celestron Elements Thermocharge Power Pack/Hand Warmer and other such stuff.

When not too bitter I use a Milwaukee Heated Jacket powered by M12 batteries. Big insulated gloves and so forth.

After reading all the replies it stuck me the sensitivity to cold was not global cooling,

I think it is a factor of gaining all the maturity (!) after hunting all these years that causes me to feel the cold.  --7-8-9
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:54:43 PM by Flintlock1776 »
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project