New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Finally had it with the cold.  (Read 1079 times)

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Finally had it with the cold.
« on: December 27, 2017, 08:17:11 AM »
It never really bothered me until this year.

Today I am sitting in my blind with -9 temps, -16 with wind chill and am complety misrable.  Just praying a deer walks by so I can shoot it and go get warmed up. Even with the heater buddy cranked up to high its not taking the edge off of this cold today.

I hate to admit it  but I've already passed on a lot of hunting this year just due to cold temps and for the first time I can remember am not even looking forward to doing some ice fishing after the season ends.

Yes I'm turning into a weather wimp!!!

I need a warmer place to hunt or I need to start filling more tags in October.

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Re: Finally had it with the cold.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 08:55:29 AM »
I would not call anybody a whimp at -9 they might whoop you to warm up!  --099-780 I am not a fan of hunting when it's that cold for sure. I think you got the answer kill them earlier in the season if you can.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 10:02:44 AM »
Welcome to the club, Bluetoe nailed it, kill them early on in the season if you can, but not to warm. I'm still good with the 20's but always second guess going out below that, especially if the winds are up there. Maybe a shooting house with a coal furnace would change things around.  @--0--0123
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 10:55:01 AM »
I hate to shiver on your parades. Remember the weather you have I already had. Here's what's on deck for me from NWS (blue font is below zero):

Today: Sunny and cold, with a high near -1. Wind chill values as low as -22. West northwest wind around 5 mph becoming south in the afternoon.

Tonight: Snow, mainly after 3am. Temperature rising to around -1 by 5am. Wind chill values as low as -15. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Thursday: Snow. High near 8. Wind chill values as low as -15. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Thursday: Night mostly cloudy, with a low around -5. Wind chill values as low as -17. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west northwest after midnight.

Friday: Partly sunny and cold, with a steady temperature around -2. West northwest wind around 10 mph.

Friday: Night mostly cloudy, with a low around -12. Northwest wind around 10 mph.

Saturday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near -5. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -15. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

Sunday: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -1. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -13. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

New Year's Day: Sunny and cold, with a high near 0. West wind around 5 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -10. South southwest wind around 5 mph.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 7. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

There's no such thing as a cold weather whimp... just cold weather smart. Everyone be safe and take care.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:57:57 AM by Dutch-Hunter »
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 11:49:39 AM »
Tell me again,  why do y'all live up there? ##$%#1119  Home is where the heart is and I'm sure you would ask me how we endure temperatures in the 90's along with humidity to match for 6 months out of the year, not to mention alligators, 'skeeters and hurricanes.  It's all good, I get cold when it gets below 50.
Treefarmer

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 12:21:43 PM »
I was out yesterday afternoon, and saw 5 does.  Never offered a shot,   but I was wondering how was gonna dress one out, if I had killed one.  I think the temp was like 8 or 10 deg, with a 10mph wind.  Btw, I have been hunting in MI close to 50 yrs, and up until last year, never used a heater.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 12:42:27 PM »
was out last night in minus 15 celcius(canada)...saw over thirty does and had four bucks right in front of me.One I passed was a big nine point because I already shot a nice sized ten point in gun season.Since we have to party hunt once we use our tag(one allowed per person)I was told only trophy bucks for me .Of course when we came out they said I should have shot him...grrrrr
Anyhow back out tonight and even colder temps today.
Like others it is getting tougher to go out.I wear a heated vest,hand warmers,foot warmers and a heated seat as I am in a tree stand.
Our season ends dec. 31 and with the snow we have now the bucks have begun daylight moving quite a bit.Always a chance for one of the big boys at anytime now.

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »
Had -7 here this morning when I rolled out, but the sun is shining brightly and there's little wind, so it's not such a bad day at the moment.  Trying to decide if I'll go out with my X-bow this afternoon - still have about 3 weeks of archery season in front of us here.  Pushed some ice clear on the pond and the girls were out skating a little bit ago - - again with the sunshine and calm winds it's not too bad.  If I go out this afternoon to hunt though, I'll be putting on my snow camo and staying on the ground where it's a bit warmer (out of the breeze at least).   But yeah - winter is less fun every year for me too.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 02:42:59 PM »
I hate to shiver on your parades. Remember the weather you have I already had. Here's what's on deck for me from NWS (blue font is below zero):

Today: Sunny and cold, with a high near -1. Wind chill values as low as -22. West northwest wind around 5 mph becoming south in the afternoon.

Tonight: Snow, mainly after 3am. Temperature rising to around -1 by 5am. Wind chill values as low as -15. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Thursday: Snow. High near 8. Wind chill values as low as -15. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Thursday: Night mostly cloudy, with a low around -5. Wind chill values as low as -17. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west northwest after midnight.

Friday: Partly sunny and cold, with a steady temperature around -2. West northwest wind around 10 mph.

Friday: Night mostly cloudy, with a low around -12. Northwest wind around 10 mph.

Saturday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near -5. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -15. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

Sunday: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -1. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -13. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

New Year's Day: Sunny and cold, with a high near 0. West wind around 5 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -10. South southwest wind around 5 mph.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 7. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

There's no such thing as a cold weather whimp... just cold weather smart. Everyone be safe and take care.

Ok you win.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 04:05:23 PM »
I started changing my winter hunting pattern several years ago , went to a box blind with windows with plexiglass in them and a heater , just can't take real cold weather that much anymore .  ##$%#1118   
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 04:37:00 PM »
i'm still getting used to the cold this year. after my LOTW ice fishing trip, i'll be out in t-shirts the rest of winter @--0--0105
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 06:37:16 PM »
I started changing my winter hunting pattern several years ago , went to a box blind with windows with plexiglass in them and a heater , just can't take real cold weather that much anymore .  ##$%#1118

I slent the morning analyzjng the current windows ans stopped at Home Depot on the way home to pick up a couple boards, plexiglass and some hardware.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 09:54:11 PM »

I slent the morning analyzjng the current windows ans stopped at Home Depot on the way home to pick up a couple boards, plexiglass and some hardware.
  You'll find that it makes a real difference and the wild things can't smell you that much , had deer walk by the box blind ten feet away .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 06:13:42 AM »

You'll find that it makes a real difference and the wild things can't smell you that much , had deer walk by the box blind ten feet away .  ##$%#1118

Have switched all my stands from Ladder and Trip Pod stands to box stands with Plexiglas windows.  Knees could not take the climbing anymore and body did not want the COLD anymore.
You will never look back, well every now and then you do remember the GOOD Old Days!      @--0--0125

Like walking to school as a kid 10 miles uphill both ways in the snow and barefoot.   -00-9

PJ
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 06:38:16 AM by Puddle Jumper »
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 10:06:49 AM »
its funny how this happens. I remember my uncles complaining about the cold (what cold we had in South Alabama) and I remember thinking they were being sissies.

Now, before you northerners start replying, temperatures are relevant. You get used to the temperature ranges in your area and anything that goes way above or way below is uncomfortable. After 4 years in Kentucky, I have adjusted to the temps here. 25 degrees doesn't feel as cold to me as it used to but when I go back to Bama in the summer, i cant breathe because of the humidity and the 95 degree temps are brutal. You adjust over time and get used to it. When I lived in Minnesota as a kid, I have pictures of me outside in a short sleeve shirt in 30 degree weather. that's because we were probably coming off minus zero temps from the winter. Its all relative.

Now, back to my point...  When I was in my 30s and even into my 40s, being out in the cold wasn't a real big deal. I could dress for it and still hunt. Once into my late 40s and early 50s, I am seeing the change in how cold affects me. Its definitely harder. the knees ache and the overall misery seems to be a lot higher. However, I think its a two fold issue. first, I do believe as you age, your tolerance for temps extreme to what you are used to, is lessened. Not sure why that is, but it seems to affect most people. Secondly, I think your desire to overcome misery also lessens. Example... at 25 years old, things like extreme cold or heat, sleeping on the floor, walking for miles and miles and other similar things were just things you endured and got past. you did it and moved on. Have you ever heard a 25 year old say "I cant wait to get home and sleep in my own bed"?. No. Because at 25, you can sleep standing up. at 51, its harder for me to want to endure it. I think I still have the ability to endure, just not the desire. At 25, I couldnt wait to pull the trigger on a deer. At 51, what goes through my mind is all of the work and cold that comes with dragging, transporting and cleaning a deer. That alone has stopped many trigger pulls for me over the past few years.

Its not that I cant endure the cold and the work.. its just as I age i like to choose those times to fall into a more comfortable temperature range...

As my granddaddy used to say, getting old isn't for the young. So, we adjust. I don't hunt as much as I did at 25 but I still enjoy each and every sit. Just because I tend to choose milder days to hunt, doesn't make me a sissy...  sorry uncles.. I had no idea...
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

New Page 3

Google Ad