New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: What rifle, shotgun, pistol or bow did you get for Christmas  (Read 670 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
What rifle, shotgun, pistol or bow did you get for Christmas
« on: December 24, 2017, 06:49:21 AM »
Was just wondering it being Christmas Eve what firearm or archery equipment did you get when you were young and what was it??

I won't be shy, it all started back on Christmas Day 1961 when I first got a H&R Pardner single shot 410 shotgun....wow was I surprised...still today believe Santa left it for me, both Mom and Dad did not a thing about it...LOL...first time using it was rabbit hunting on my Aunt's 70 Farm in February.....My uncle had the beagles and on that day in March, shot three times and had three rabbits for dinner!! Talk about on happy kid!!! Later on that year when deer hunting my first time using a borrowed double barrel 12 gauge!! When I saw Dad's first deer run by me, let both barrels loose and ended up missing the deer completely and landed on my tail bone facing up looking at the sky...the recoil completely know me off the tree stump I was on!! LOL.....very good memories, fortunately Dad did get the 4 point deer!

The following Christmas Santa thought I had been a good boy and brought me a Savage/Stevens 87J...semi-auto 22 S/L/LR...those were the days!!!......

Would like to hear and everyone else also about your Christmas Day surprise!!

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: What rifle, shotgun, pistol or bow did you get for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 07:10:45 AM »
There wasn't much disposable income around as a kid, so I never found a firearm under the tree, every shotgun and .22 I had access to was handed down from Dad or Grandpa (not complaining, they all did the job and I still have each one).  One year though I was itching bad for a new BB gun, something with a bit more pop than my little 250 fps Daisy lever gun, and found a Daisy 880 pump under the tree.  That was quite a day.  Can't tell you how many cans, starlings, water snakes, paper targets, etc that I punched holes in, burned through many cartons of BBs with it, took out a couple squirrels, muskrats, and bunnies too.  Still have that gun, although it's just about falling apart so haven't shot it for 20 years or more.  Still smiling about opening that one up Christmas Eve back in the mid 70s!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »
Mad - Thanks for sharing...Yea, I had one of those Daisy 880 myself...unfortunately, Dad's dad passed away when he was five years old and Mom's dad was in Florence, SC....and he was into fishing, but not hunting....he was the local Barber (Split Toe knows him well), got my first hair cut from him in his shop in Florence....his nick-name was "Squirrel" and still today cannot figure out where that nick-name came from...LOL...wished they were into hunting.....sure would have been nice....

Dad and I had to learn on our own!!! I remember when I was 13 or 14 we ran across a big scrap in the middle of the logging road and wondered what in the world made that mark on the ground...LOL...we know today....LOL...you live and learn.....

Oh, by the way, I still own those two firearms I mention in my first post....LOL...both shoot very well, but you cannot find 22 shorts at any store today unless you go on-line!!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 09:00:45 AM »
i'm w/ mad. most everything i got was a hand-me-down or community gun. that normally happened during the hunting season. my dad probably knew i wouldn't be able to wait 9 months before i could use it from christmas to hunting season @--0--0105

the first actual gun that was MINE is a ruger .270 i got for my birthday in novemeber when i was 16 or 17. it still shoot darts

i bought my own first bow around the same time
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 01:56:43 PM »
My dad was not into hunting, so I never got a firearm for Christmas.  Didn't get any fishing gear either, but I did get a double mantle coleman lantern for ice fishing, which I still own.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 05:40:50 PM »
I guess my first was a cap pistol when I was about 6 years old.  I was first learning to read and I saw a box on the mantel that read, "Frontier Smoker", I was in the 1st grade and Momma was surprised that I read the box label. ##$%#1119 

My first real Christmas pistol was given to me on Christmas 1965.  It was a Colt Trooper 4" bbl. .357.  It was given to me by my bride-to-be!  We're fixin' to share our 51st Christmas together tomorrow.  The old trooper is still with us, too.

Merry Christmas to y'all!
Treefarmer
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 08:20:10 PM by treefarmer »

Online dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 05:49:14 PM »
 ##$%#13   ##$%#15  nothing never got a bow, gun, or rifle for Christmas
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 07:57:34 PM »
Never got any thing to do with guns for Christmas , grew up in a no guns allowed home .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 08:47:14 PM »
Johnny Seven OMA
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 10:59:11 PM »
I got a Darton SL-30 for Christmas one year when I was a teenager, I forget the exact age. The first compound bow I ever had and a significant upgrade from the Bear red fiberglass bow (which I still have)

The following fall I was hunting with it...the rest is history.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 07:13:42 AM »
Mad - I know what you mean, there was very little money to spare around my house..maybe we went to the drive in or movies once a year and forget about eating out...I think when the local McDonald's opened up and burgers were 15 cents each and fries were 10 cent, we splurged and stopped in maybe once every 6 months...Atlanta's I-285 was just a pipe dream and i-75 North would stop in Marietta, GA where I got off to go to college Southern Tech....it end there and that is as far North had I remember going...I remember working here in TN and someone had sent me pictures of I-75 as it was being constructed way back in the early 70's....wow.....nothing either side of I-75 was developed just yet.....

But remember Dad saving all the Silver Dollars he ran across in his work and put them in an old Have-A-Tampa Cigar Box (still have that box) and cash those silver dollars in for our Christmas....we (my sister and I) never messed with those silver dollars knowing what they would be buying for us....maybe a 22 rifle or a single shot shotgun....I think if my memory serves me write that every year it increased from $25 each kid (me and my sister) to $50 each, remember that single shot Shotgun followed by the 22 semi auto 22 rifle.....

Christmas brings out the best memories for the family both past and present day....find something to be thankful for...there is a reason for the season......
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good day....LOL....   
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 07:16:10 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 07:58:53 AM »
I didnt get any guns this year but the wife did get me some ammo and some ammo cans  :)
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 09:42:55 AM »
No guns or bows for me, the Mrs. said I would shoot my eye out.  @--0--0117 I did however get a laser tape measure, now I can burn out my retina while measuring the distance to the airplanes flying over.  --099-780
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »
Bo, I apologise for heading off on a bit of a tangent with your thread, but that picture of your Dad's old cigar box lines up with one of my little hobbies.  The photo below is a ukulele I'm making out of a cigar box for the gift exchange with my siblings this weekend.  You could turn the old family piggy bank into a fancy little guitar or uke!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad