New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Precision Resizing Techniques  (Read 72 times)

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Precision Resizing Techniques
« on: December 22, 2017, 10:15:17 PM »
YUP... Still more pondering propellant from a bored ol' Dutchman 

Full Length Sizing or Neck Sizing Brass:

What’s the difference between them and which is better? We’re going to cover those questions along with an explanation as to the precision reloading process on both sides. The main things you have to keep in mind when deciding what method to use when sizing your brass is what your ultimate goal is. Are you looking to get the absolute longest life and longevity out of your brass or are you looking for a more consistent preparation of the cases. Full length sizing will generally offer the best interchangeability from rifle to rifle while neck sizing offers better brass longevity but is intended for brass to be ran back through the rifle it was used in.

Full Length Sizing

When full length sizing your fired cases you are doing just what it sounds like. Each time you size a case you are re-sizing the entire case including the body, shoulder, and neck. This tends to be the more popular option for the tactical rifle crowd for one reason, feeding reliability. If you size every case back down to standard case dimensions there is no doubt as to whether the loaded cartridge will chamber and feed properly. While you may get better brass life by neck sizing, just how much better is up for debate. A properly configured full length sizing die will only move the shoulder approximately 0.002″ of an inch. The rest of the case dimensions like the neck and body will be sized back to original specifications.

The reason full length sizing can be harder on cases is because when a primer is ignited the case swells up inside the chamber and expands outward until the chamber wall stops it. Since the brass can no longer expand the growing pressure within the case then pushes the bullet out of the case and down the barrel. After being fired the brass will “spring back” slightly from the chamber’s dimensions. Otherwise it would be hard to extract and eject the case. Depending on the chamber it may be close or not so close to the actual cartridge specifications. The greater the difference, the more the brass has to expand and grow to fill the chamber.

When you re-size the case you essentially take it from having been “fire formed” to the inner dimensions of your chamber and you are sizing it back down to the SAAMI cartridge specifications. Typically the area of the case that suffers from the constant expansion and re-sizing of the brass is just forward of the case head. Over time the brass will start to grow thin forward of the case head where the brass is continually stretching to expand and allow the neck and shoulder to move forward and fill the chamber. If you don’t set up your reloading dies properly, and you are moving the shoulder back farther than about 0.002″ you are overworking your brass.

The idea is to move the shoulder back 0.002″ to ensure reliable chambering, extraction, and ejection, and nothing more. This way on subsequent firings the brass only has to expand that same 0.002″ to fill the chamber. That means less work hardening of the brass, less trimming of the cases that need to be done, and better brass longevity. If you size it all the way back down to spec then the brass is growing more than it needs to every time you fire it. Eventually the brass will develop an impending case head separation. If pushed too far, the case head will separate from the body and you will potentially have hot gases venting into your chamber that may damage the gun.

Neck Sizing

Neck sizing brass has a different process and set of ideas behind it. The theory here is that after brass has been fired it has been formed to your chamber and has sprung back slightly from there. So essentially those cases are now a very good fit for your rifle and will only have to expand slightly under pressure from the next firing to fill the chamber. Rather than make it expand farther, the idea here is a “less is more” approach to re-sizing your brass. Rather than size it back to cartridge specifications, you only size the neck. By just sizing the neck you are only doing a little work hardening on the brass that comprises the neck of the case.

Another benefit of neck sizing is the reduced number of steps necessary to process the brass. Often the experienced hand loader that has embraced neck sizing as a method for sizing his brass, as part of the precision reloading process, can skip several steps that others cannot. For example many people who neck size can afford to skip trimming their brass for several firings until the neck grows in length to the point where it becomes difficult to chamber the round. That saves processing time and keeps the shooter on the range and away from the reloading bench. Another benefit as we mentioned earlier is the reduced work hardening of the case because the only portion of the case being sized is the neck.

Pros and Cons

Unfortunately with neck sizing, there are a few. As mentioned above often a handloader will skip trimming the brass for several firings. This can save time on the bench but you run some risks with the reliability of your weapon. Specifically if the necks have grown faster or sooner than anticipated it can cause problems with the rounds not chambering properly, or at all. You can mitigate this by keeping a closer eye on the length of your cases, but that means more measuring and more time at the bench.

The other potential issue with neck sizing can be headspace, or lack thereof. This really has more to do with the setup of the dies during the precision reloading process than the choice between full length or neck sizing. Just like an improperly set reloading die can cause problems with case head separation for the reloader who chooses full length sizing, it can cause problems for the person neck sizing as well. The problem tends to manifest itself in the opposite direction. If the neck die isn’t being set up to bump the shoulder back eventually the case grows and won’t chamber properly because the length of the case between the shoulder and case head has grown too large for the bolt to close against. The important thing to remember here is that even if you are “only neck sizing” you still have to bump the shoulder or risk reliability issues with the cases chambering, extracting, and ejecting properly.

Making the Choice

It depends on your purpose for the rifle and ammunition. It is possible to have a case that has been neck sized, and had the shoulder bumped, that still doesn’t chamber easily. You can also have it fail to “spring back” at which point you experience what is referred to as a stuck case in the chamber. This all has to do with work hardening and how springy the brass remains during its lifespan. For tactical and field applications I think you are better off full length sizing the cases. That ensures reliability of the gun. If you are shooting at a bench, or if you bring reloading gear with you to a square range, you can afford to neck size and save yourself some time and effort.

Conclusion

Consider this, you can do both, you don’t have to choose between these two techniques for resizing brass as part of your precision reloading process. Neck tension can have more effect on the consistency of your ammunition. How much pressure is required to unseat the bullet can drastically affect the consistency of your ammunition and how tight your chronograph numbers will be. If I full length size my cases and bump the shoulders with a full length die this is set up to the headspace of each specific rifle. I may also or only run them through a bushing neck sizing die to ensure that the necks are all uniformly sized and have the same tension applied to the projectiles. That may be an extra step, but I’ve had very little trouble finding accurate loads for my rifle with single digit standard deviation and low extreme spreads when I test the ammunition.
Final Comments and Thoughts

I want you all to know that what works best for you it the right way. My habits and methods are unique to me. Bo’s habits and methods are unique to him. PA is the same way. The important thing is results. If you achieve what you want and are completely satisfied then go with it. All of this information that has been offered is only intended to help you identify possible hiccups in your method. Or answer question about why this or that has been happening with your loads and how they perform. The best advice I can give anyone is to make sure you have the time to devote to your reloading, even if it is shifts. Designate an hour for case inspection and decapping. The next time you get to the bench inspect the cases again and measure them as you prepare to resize them. (I should explain why I decap in my first step before they are cleaned. The use of a universal decapping die is well worth the scant 15 bucks they cost because cases clean so much better and it saves considerable dirt and grime in your sizing dies.) Then proceed to your next step. Try to budget enough time to get each step completed and if possible with little or no distractions or interruptions. This is particularly important when throwing your powder charges. What I do when I get to this step is throw the charge and seat the bullet. This way if I do get interrupted it’s easy to pick back up where you left off. I also have several trays and note paper on which I record where that tray is in the process. Again if I get interrupted I know exactly where I was. I’ve noticed how much more important it has become to write everything down. It’s an age thing, I guess. As I said before your methodology is your and yours alone. Just be consistent. Reloading is not a race it should be a relaxing endeavor. Take your time and take the time to stop and smell the gun powder. OOPS! Maybe that’s supposed to be roses? OH WELL… Dutch… OUT

Favorite saying… The stupidest question is the one never asked.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: Precision Resizing Techniques
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 11:10:33 PM »
Thanks again DH, more gems.  OK, you talked me into it, gonna order myself a universal de-capping die.  Have been thinking about that for quite a while, just need to get on with it.  Really need to buy an extra set of shell holders too so I'm not constantly swapping them between my press and priming tool - guess I should have had these on my Santa list!  Thanks for the pros & cons on neck sizing too, I do want to start doing that for my bolt gun.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 07:09:34 AM »
All good information.  Sometimes you have to look at the individual caliber.  I reload 45 Colt, and I have found out that historically chambers have been cut on the generous side, while the dies are made to SAAMI specs.  This difference can impact case life due to the case being overworked, and also affects performance.  The tolerances for the .44 Mag are much tighter, and we all know how well this cartridge works.  I have a spare resizing die for the 45 Colt, and have been thinking about enlarging it, but that is down the road.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 12:58:37 PM »
Dutch - Exactly!!! Thanks for the post!!!
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
Butts County Sportsman Asso Member
57+ Years in the woods
19 yrs of Western Elk/Muley Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris

New Page 3

Google Ad