New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Mr Buddy Heaters  (Read 1735 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Mr Buddy Heaters
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:53:49 PM »
How many of you use Mr. Buddy Heaters?? I have the small single round one that sits on top of a 1 lb bottle of propane......thinking it would work good in the blind....and according to the Weatherman, this weekend would be an ideal time to break them out....it going to be darn right cold every where!!! They are talking the mid teens to mid 20's for TN here and down at the club, they are calling for high 20's to high 30's!! Burrr....

I know they make three different types (single round head, single hunting buddy and a big hunting buddy heater) and some of our guys in our hunt club has connected a hose to a 20 lb bottle of propane for that all night comfort......

I have a small propane stove in the camper that I put a clay pot on upside down on a burner and keep a small flame going all night long....be sure to ventilate it because if you don't you won't wake up in the morning, if you don't ventilate you will be cold stone dead!!!! So I take all the safety precautions to ensure that I hunt another day!!!

If you don't use the Mr Buddy system, what do you use to keep warm....I also have a zero sleep bag, that my ex gave me, one of the three great things she gave me....the second thing was a divorcee and the third thing was IBM stock before the PC came out!! Yippie for all three things!!!
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
Re: Mr Buddy Heaters
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 03:34:47 PM »
just dress  warmer in wool coat and pants
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:27:02 PM »
i use a big buddy heater for my ice shack. i very seldom use the 2nd burner as the first burner kicks out plenty of heat. i have a 5# tank for mine but it will take 1# tanks

i'm a scent freak so i won't use this for hunting. i just add cloths. lately, i've just upgraded my cold weather clothes. you do get what you pay for. now is a great time get some great clothing at cabelas. most cold gear is 30-70% off
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 04:45:21 PM »
I got a terrific deal on a buddy heater a couple of years ago, and bought it at my wife's insistence.  I never felt the need for one, but now that I have it, and used, I'll have to say it is nice when the temp drops down to 25 F or below.  Mostly, it does keep my hands and face warm. It uses the 1lb propane bottle, and can also be hooked up to a 20# bottle or larger.  It does seems to use propane quite fast.  a 1# bottle lasts 7-8 hrs on low.  Have never run it on high.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 05:13:42 PM »
I have two the Heater Buddy and a Big Buddy. I've had the smaller one for years and it is great for hunting and ice fishing,  in fact its sitting in my blind right now.  I lost the metal safety screen years ago but it keeps on going.

I picked up the big buddy at an end of season sale and use it primarily in the garage.

The only downside is that the push button starter is loud when in the deer woods. I often use it with the 20 pound tank so I will light the pilot then quietly turn it up when needed. I will often use a lighter to light the pilot silently.

I highly recommend them.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 05:36:16 PM »
I've got a single burner Mr Buddy that I use in my camper at deer camp. It's hooked to a 20 pound bottle and does a great job. I never run it on high as it  really uses a lot of gas. I keep it on the low setting and it does the job! If I put it on high it gets the camper way to warm. I've enjoyed having it during cold weather and would recommend it. I've also used it in my basement during extreme cold weather to knock the chill off if I'm working on my boat or a mid winter project.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »
I have always wanted one, but never pulled the trigger to buy one.  To stay warm nowadays, I have ditched the pant/coat combination and began wearing insulated coveralls.  They work like a charm.   

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »
A clay pot pver a can of sterno actually works as a good radiant heater on the cheap.

When we were kids we made heaters out of a tuna can filled with corrigated cardboard strips and parafin wax placed under a metal coffee/juice can with some holes poked in it for venting.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 07:02:21 PM »
Have had one of the little round Buddy heaters for a lot of years, when it's bitter cold in late season and I'm hunting from a blind that works really well.   Have a hose to hook it up to a 20 pound bottle, but haven't actually used that combination.  Last spring the wife & I were at a yard sale and I picked up a second identical little heater for 5 bucks - doubt that I would use 2 in the blind at once but it was too good of a deal to pass up.  I like them.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 10:05:59 PM »
Just make sure the area you use it in is ventilated enough.

Outside on a beck or around the camo site they are fine.

Just be careful with use inside.

Sorry, just the old firefighter in me.

Such a worry wart! .......... 
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 07:22:28 AM »
The great thing with the buddy heaters is they have a O2 sensor that will turn the burner off if O2 level gets low. I use one in my little cabin I open a window 1/2Ē and no problems if I forget to open the window it has cut off. I have been meaning to purchase one of the CO detectors for the cabin just had done it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 08:10:48 AM »
I used them in the basement before with the disposable tanks. Despite the O2 sensor, I just dont feel safe using them around sleeping areas.

I did use the Big Buddy yesterday whe installjng a new garage door opener for my parents. It did take the chill off enough that I didn't need gloves or a heavy coat.   I didn't even need to turn on the fan.

Love these little heaters.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 11:47:16 PM »
This past week and weekend down in GA use my small Mr Buddy Heater as a supplement to the other sources of heat in the camper....it heats the place up in a hurry and makes it all cozy. Got about 3 mornings out of one 1 lb bottle.....

My Camper is a very old one I think it is around a 1974 model...it keeps my dry and a great place to store a lot of my stuff that I use/need every year....do not what works on it and what doesn't!! So I provide my own sources of heat....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MKMGOBL

• Spike
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 06:11:11 AM »
I have to Big Buddy Heater and it works very well for us. I've used it the hunting blind a few times and in the bob house or portable shelter 1,000 times. This past deer season my son and I actually used it in our X-Stand double ladder stand. We put under the seat with a blanket across the shooting rail and it kept us very toasty 8)

What's nice about the Buddy Heaters is the CO shut off. It can be a pain in the butt if keeping it going on calm days but it for our own safety.

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 08:04:42 AM »
I got one for Christmas this year and needless to say, Iíve been pretty sorry in the shooting houses lately. Donít know how Iíve went this long with out them. Between those and my thermacell insoles. Someone told me I was ďsoftĒ cause of them but I just think Iím smart. Itís been so much more comfortable hunting.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

New Page 3

Google Ad