New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Poll

When do you skin your deer

let is hang with fur on
skin right after you hang it

Author Topic: best time to skin a deer  (Read 1603 times)

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: best time to skin a deer
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2017, 01:11:08 PM »
Speeking of air I've a few videos about removing the hide with an air compressor. Works best on small critters but can be effective on deer as well.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2017, 02:49:12 PM »
Yes this method to loosen hide from carcass rocks very well. Providing the carcass isn't frozen. If it is frozen allow it to thaw and will work. Some taxidermists actually prefer this method for caping up to the head. Almost everyone of them will want to skin the head on a trophy animal themselves.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season coming soon
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2017, 04:59:33 PM »
Yes this method to loosen hide from carcass rocks very well. Providing the carcass isn't frozen. If it is frozen allow it to thaw and will work. Some taxidermists actually prefer this method for caping up to the head. Almost everyone of them will want to skin the head on a trophy animal themselves.

so hanging till spring thaw is good then   @--0--0117  who knew
turkey season was a bust hope deer season is better

dave 1211

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2017, 06:26:18 PM »
When I was a mere toddler, my dad raised rabbits for meat.  He told me he would use a bycicle tire pump to skin them.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2017, 05:41:59 AM »
I've used the air compressor trick when cleaning snapping turtles before, haven't tried it on a furry critter though.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline treefarmer

• 6 Point
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
I've been pulling the hides for years.  Years ago, a man that worked with us told me his son-in-law would pull the hide with a pickup truck, that got my attention.  I checked it out and there are several ways people do this, depending on conditions.  It is really not much different than a hide puller in a butcher house, just looks a little strange when it's going on.  Lot less chance for getting hair on the meat.
We've used pickup, golf cart and tractor, just like taking your sock off your foot!
Treefarmer
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:44:56 PM by treefarmer »

Online russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2017, 08:54:38 AM »
I've been pulling the hides for years.  Years ago, a man that worked with us told me his son-in-law would pull the hide with a pickup truck, that got my attention.  I checked it out and there are several ways people do this, depending on conditions.  It is really not much different than a hide puller in a butcher house, just looks a little strange when it's going on.  Lot less chance for getting hair on the meat.
We've used pickup, golf cart and tractor, just like taking your sock off your foot!
Treefarmer
Yep it works. Hang it by the head, Make all your cuts around the neck, up the belly, and around the legs, pull a little skin down from the back of the neck, put a baseball or baseball size rock on the fur side and fold the skin over it, tighten a rope around it, tie the other end to a bumper and slowly pull the entire hide off.  Works great
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Online russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2018, 04:02:25 PM »
Treefarmer
Yep it works. Hang it by the head, Make all your cuts around the neck, up the belly, and around the legs, pull a little skin down from the back of the neck, put a baseball or baseball size rock on the fur side and fold the skin over it, tighten a rope around it, tie the other end to a bumper and slowly pull the entire hide off.  Works great
Id like to add....pull the hide before it freezes. Not fun tying to pull frozen skins off.  Here is my set up. I used the atv to pull the hides.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2018, 06:04:24 PM »
Oh yeah, skinning a frozen one, miserable.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 03:18:52 PM »
I am going to have to try pulling it off with some type of vehicle.
Nice to hear all the good input from everyone.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

New Page 3

Google Ad