New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Poll

When do you skin your deer

let is hang with fur on
skin right after you hang it

Author Topic: best time to skin a deer  (Read 1604 times)

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Re: best time to skin a deer
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 02:01:34 PM »
The temp rules for me. If it is cold enough I let it hang over night and skin and cut up the next day. If is warm above 40 I skin ASAP and quarter for the cooler- ice it down cut it up the next day.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 07:47:19 PM »
Madgomer,
If you Google "ageing meat", it tells what exactly what happens during the process of ageing.  Too cold, it freezes and stops the process, too warm and it breaks down and spoils.  When we get the right weather and I'm able to hang a carcass longer than overnight, I've had people ask, "How do you know when to start processing?"  I jokingly say, "When the buzzards start circlin', it's time to take 'em down!"
I suppose we all have different tastes when it comes to such.  Some of Grandpa's customers wanted a beef hung 30 days, by then it would be covered with mold, lots of trim work but a fantastic flavor.
Treefarmer
Yeah, my dad had a friend that would hang a beef quarter down in his cellar for a long time.  They'd be over there playing cards, once they got hungry he'd go down & slice off some mold & take a steak or three - Dad always said that was the best beef he ever had.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 01:47:52 AM »
I skin them quick as I get them hung up. Just go ahead and get it over with. I'll age the back straps in the fridge for a week or 10 days if I have time. The rest is prolly getting made in to hamburger and cube steak anyway. Except for the heart which will be cooked shortly after skinning the deer.

Offline treefarmer

• 6 Point
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 07:10:53 AM »
There you go!  A man that knows what to do with the heart!  capttrae, there are way too many folks that allow the heart to become dog food, it's an interesting piece of meat.  I'll agree with you on ageing the back straps, too. ##$%#111
Treefarmer

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »
I do not like the organ meat.  One of the property owners that allows me access does so I always give them to him.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 09:35:38 AM »
I start skinnin' as soon as it's flyin'...then I rub it down with vinegar and water, pat dry and cut it up for the freezer...

2 important reasons to remove the hide asap is 1. it allows the meat to cool faster and 2. it is a heck of a lot easier than after it's cold...

TT @--0--0107
What is the purpose of the vineger and water?
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline yari

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 12:34:25 PM »
I start skinnin' as soon as it's flyin'...then I rub it down with vinegar and water, pat dry and cut it up for the freezer...

2 important reasons to remove the hide asap is 1. it allows the meat to cool faster and 2. it is a heck of a lot easier than after it's cold...

TT @--0--0107
What is the purpose of the vineger and water?

the only time i've heard of this is to get rid of a gut shot deer smell or one that was starting to stink. my butcher told me deer found w/i 24 hours are good to eat even if they smell. the vinegar water gets rid of the smell
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 02:58:06 PM »
I skin, then gut as soon as I get it to the house as I never hunt far from the house.  Running water really helps at times. We let it hang over night and if the weather will cooperate I let it hang several days, with a fly bag on it of course.  Our weather seldom allows us to hang one outside, so usually the carcass is broke down into shoulders, hams, back straps and tenderloins.  The neck and rib meat is boned out and this is put in an ice chest on top of the main parts that are covered with ice.  The ice chest is raised by a 2X4 and the drain is left open, ice as needed.  One benefit of keeping the parts covered with ice is there is no drying out of the pieces as it does when it is skinned and hung in a cooler. 

My father-in-law is 94 and is still butchering on a small scale.  Before he retired he did a lot of deer processing.  He requested the customers to just gut the deer and leave the hides on.  He had a semi reefer parked at one of the kill floor doors for a game cooler and there would usually be over a hundred hanging with hides on during the peak of hunting season.  The meat would stay clean and not dry out by leaving the hides on.  He had a crew that came in after hours just to skin deer and then clean up.  He said the effort to keep the meat clean and not be dried out was worth it in the end.  He said it's a lot easier like that instead of trying to get the leaves and mud out of a poorly handled deer.  He wanted to keep the customers happy and he didn't want to waste time trying to correct problems he didn't create.  Nowadays he only processes deer that have been broke down as I described my process.

I'm a firm believer in ageing venison just like a beef.    I've tried to eat some fresh killed meat and there is a real difference to me.  I just finished processing a doe today that was killed the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
Treefarmer
Forgive me for going a little long on this but it is something I really enjoy!
I had heard running water on the meat helps create bacteria growth?
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 03:35:30 PM »
Snort - leaving the meat dripping wet with water is not a good idea for the reason you mentioned.  I often hose out a deer when I get it home (if I shot it locally) to get the hair, leaves, blood, etc off the meat, but then pat it down with a towel to get the excess water off of it.  I get the body cavity propped open to get the air circulating on it - the water dries out/runs off pretty quick.  At marginal temperatures you don't want to let the water sit on the meat, and if it's really cold you'll get ice which isn't good either.  If I'm down south at deer camp, once I get it hung up I punch a few holes in the lid of a plastic water bottle & squeeze that to squirt out a stream & clean things up a bit - usually takes me a couple of 16 ounce bottles to get things reasonably clean, and again I wipe it down afterwards to get most of the water off.  Unless it's a big buck that I want to cape, I split the ribcage & prop things wide open to let the air get to it so it dries out quickly.  At home sometimes I point a pedestal fan at it too.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 04:16:22 PM »
Okay I'll be the one to say it!

The best time to skin a deer is...

WHEN IT STOPS SUCKING AIR!!!
##$%#15 ##$%#11 @--0--0123 @--0--0105 @--0--0123 ##$%#11 @--0--0129
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline treefarmer

• 6 Point
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »
Snortweeze,
My reference to running water is restricted to a rinse in the lower part of the body cavity, that is the pelvic region.  That becomes the lower part because I hang the deer head up.  After skinning with the head up, I start my cut right where the rib cage ends and gently slide the tip of my knife all the way down to the pelvis, everything on the back side of the diaphragm will gently tumble into a tub place below the carcass.  This where you must retrieve the liver before it hits the tub along with all the other inedibles. Working the bung and the bladder, you may experience a break, tear or leak.  This is where the water comes into play.  I'm sure I'm probably the only one who has encountered a gut shot deer, here lots of running water is necessary, let me assure you!

Then you cut up through the sternum and remove what is left of the lungs and hopefully an undamaged heart. ;) Continue up remove the guzzle (wind pipe and esophagus) and by morning the carcass should be dried to an almost papery feel.  During this time, all the body heat dissipates.

Then begins the ageing, if you choose to do so.
Here's a picture of one, that spent at least one night, hangin' in the old Oak tree.
Treefarmer

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 08:08:06 AM »
I always skin it right away and never hang one due to temps. Skin, quarter and into a cooler on top of ice. there it ages 7 days before we process it.
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season coming soon
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 08:14:28 AM »

what if  it is still blowing air    ##$%#1119    @--0--0117    @--0--0102    ##$%#1118
turkey season was a bust hope deer season is better

dave 1211

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 08:30:23 AM »

what if  it is still blowing air    ##$%#1119    @--0--0117    @--0--0102    ##$%#1118
And I thought you always waited until it froze solid and hung in the shed for a few weeks  --099-780  ##$%#15 just an old memory from years past.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 01:06:00 PM »

And I thought you always waited until it froze solid and hung in the shed for a few weeks  --099-780  ##$%#15 just an old memory from years past.

Well dave if it's still blowing air you missed the lungs again!  ##$%#113
So I assume it's still walking and thus extremely hard to skin anyway.  @--0--0102

Gut I remember them good ol' days, frozen solid by the time sun goes down. Sure makes for a miserable job. Like filleting fish in a nor-west gale on Erie. OOPS I remmeber the captain does that fer us.  @--0--0123  ##$%#115  ##$%#111
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

New Page 3

Google Ad