New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Poll

When do you skin your deer

let is hang with fur on
skin right after you hang it

Author Topic: best time to skin a deer  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
best time to skin a deer
« on: December 04, 2017, 08:54:34 AM »
I know this has pry been posted before but I am going to ask it anyway. When do you skin your deer? As soon as you hang it and then let it hang for a couple days or do you let it hang with the skin on for a few days and then skin. I know it skins easier when they are still warm but I do not like the crust they get on them. What way do you do it and why?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:57:02 AM by Snortweeze »
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: best time to skin a deer
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 10:01:45 AM »
I don't have a set rule but the warmer it is the quicker I try to get it done.

Typically I will let it hang overnight and do it all the next day if it is cool enough to do so.

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 12:06:27 PM »
From what I have read on another forum, deer don't need to be aged.  Skinning is easiest while the deer is still warm.  You should begin processing as soon as possible.  Letting the deer age will dry out the meat and you will have to "skin" it a second time. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 12:33:08 PM »
to be honest, i do it right before i process them. i don't set any rules

one trick i learned in SD to get the hair off after skinning really helps. once it's skun, take a torch to it to burn off the hair sticking to the carcass. i've used this trick for birds before, but never thought about it w/ deer. it sure saves time rather than picking off individual hairs
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 02:25:49 PM »
I have used a handheld propane torch to burn off the hairs before.  It works, but you have to keep the flame moving.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 05:22:15 PM »
I start skinnin' as soon as it's flyin'...then I rub it down with vinegar and water, pat dry and cut it up for the freezer...

2 important reasons to remove the hide asap is 1. it allows the meat to cool faster and 2. it is a heck of a lot easier than after it's cold...

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 05:33:38 PM »
As soon as we hang ours we skin them as itís a lot easier and I just feel it allows the meat to cool better. We process all of our deer so letting them hang is not so much of what I want but the warm temps determine that for me. Usually if shot in the morning then we process that evening or if shot in evening then process in the morning

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:02:35 PM »
skin them as soon as I can waited on one and it got very cold out and had a very hard time getting the skin off
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 07:22:23 PM »
I'm in the same camp with Yari.  The outside temps and my schedule define how long I can let one hang before cutting it up.  Fully agree that they skin easiest when fresh, but I don't like losing moisture from the meat so leave it on until I'm ready to cut it up.  If temps are not low enough and I don't have time to immediately process it, I haul it to a local locker (with the hide on it most of the time).  Even if the weather is perfect I generally have it all processed within 2 days most of the time.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 08:32:45 PM »
We let it hang overnight and wait a day before we skin them .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 08:40:12 PM »
When they are dead

##$%#114
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 09:47:36 PM »
I skin, then gut as soon as I get it to the house as I never hunt far from the house.  Running water really helps at times. We let it hang over night and if the weather will cooperate I let it hang several days, with a fly bag on it of course.  Our weather seldom allows us to hang one outside, so usually the carcass is broke down into shoulders, hams, back straps and tenderloins.  The neck and rib meat is boned out and this is put in an ice chest on top of the main parts that are covered with ice.  The ice chest is raised by a 2X4 and the drain is left open, ice as needed.  One benefit of keeping the parts covered with ice is there is no drying out of the pieces as it does when it is skinned and hung in a cooler. 

My father-in-law is 94 and is still butchering on a small scale.  Before he retired he did a lot of deer processing.  He requested the customers to just gut the deer and leave the hides on.  He had a semi reefer parked at one of the kill floor doors for a game cooler and there would usually be over a hundred hanging with hides on during the peak of hunting season.  The meat would stay clean and not dry out by leaving the hides on.  He had a crew that came in after hours just to skin deer and then clean up.  He said the effort to keep the meat clean and not be dried out was worth it in the end.  He said it's a lot easier like that instead of trying to get the leaves and mud out of a poorly handled deer.  He wanted to keep the customers happy and he didn't want to waste time trying to correct problems he didn't create.  Nowadays he only processes deer that have been broke down as I described my process.

I'm a firm believer in ageing venison just like a beef.    I've tried to eat some fresh killed meat and there is a real difference to me.  I just finished processing a doe today that was killed the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
Treefarmer
Forgive me for going a little long on this but it is something I really enjoy! 

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 11:00:27 PM »
Good summary Tree.  I've read/heard many times that you don't need to age venison, but I like to if I can.  Someday if I happen to score a double, I'd love to process one right away & give the other 2-3 days at least & see if I can tell a difference.  My suspicion is that it will be different.  I've had to cut up some younger deer quickly and I've had a couple of big bucks that I waited on (and everything in between) and would say that in general a little age is a good thing for the flavor and texture.  Lots of things go into it of course.  Maybe I should just split the next one I process & give half of it some hang time while I quickly freeze the first half.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 07:00:44 AM »
Madgomer,
If you Google "ageing meat", it tells what exactly what happens during the process of ageing.  Too cold, it freezes and stops the process, too warm and it breaks down and spoils.  When we get the right weather and I'm able to hang a carcass longer than overnight, I've had people ask, "How do you know when to start processing?"  I jokingly say, "When the buzzards start circlin', it's time to take 'em down!"
I suppose we all have different tastes when it comes to such.  Some of Grandpa's customers wanted a beef hung 30 days, by then it would be covered with mold, lots of trim work but a fantastic flavor.
Treefarmer

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 07:29:58 AM »
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017