New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Portable Generators  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Portable Generators
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2018, 09:00:02 PM »
Flint, I have a 5000 watt unit with a 10 Hp Briggs on it, not light and not quiet.  Not sure how that compares to the Generac unit you're speaking of.  Also a bear to get started if you have to pull on that rope when it's 10 degrees outside - I converted it to electric start.

This fall we went ahead and installed a grid-tied Generac unit here at the house.  Because of the pump loads on our geothermal system, they recommended we go with the 22 kW unit to power the full house in summer or winter.  The price differential vs. the smaller unit wasn't significant. The smaller unit would power the entire house under normal loads but wouldn't have been able to handle the startup demand on those pumps. We ended up paying about 6400 for the unit and installation labor, including having our LP provider come in and hook up the fuel supply.  I'll probably sell my old portable unit - if I end up needing one again in the future I'll buy something like a 1-2 kW Honda which is much more portable and much quieter.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2018, 07:53:38 PM »
I will have an estimate for the 22k Generac.

Unfortunately the Florida house is all electric no gas lines.

Could be a pain on not having enough propane.

I also have the shield it in with bushes or solid fence due to HOA rules for the development.

If we get nailed by a hurricane I figure we would not run everything at the same time continously but I just want to not come up short/undepowered etc for a long term outtage like Irma did.

I figure generator, install etc could bring this up as high as $10,000.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2018, 12:58:45 PM »
Flint where in Florida are you moving to and when are you making the move? I'm in NW Florida in the Fort Walton Beach area.
Air Force Veteran

New Page 3

Google Ad