New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Portable Generators  (Read 1568 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Portable Generators
« on: December 02, 2017, 08:03:31 AM »
I just want to thank the Japanese for building good portable generators....We all pitch in and bought a Yamaha 2800 generator for the Cook Shack. The Cook Shack is not a little building. The Yamaha runs, all the inside lights and a couple of outside big flood lights, plus the HD TV (for the few channels we can get down there). It also runs the 700 Watt microwave that we have for breakfast and reheats.

This Generator runs all the time and we all pitch in with the gasoline it needs. Everybody will bring down some non-ethanol gas or high test gas for it. And thanks to Split Toe and Metalman, the oil get changed a bunch during the season. Suppose to change it every 75 hours it runs.....

Also wanted to mention that we all, well almost all of us, have the 2000 Watt Honda Generators for our campers to run the AC unit we need during the sweltering hot August nights and into September. We are an older bunch of guys who some of use needs the CPAP machines to sleep at night...the camp has a quiet hum at night.....LOL....

There are a few others with louder generator that are located at the ends of where the campers are parked. Split Toe, Jap51, Metalman, Deerhead and I have the Honda's that we use and they have been a great addition to the club. And we use them to build things with like Butcher's Hollow Bridge. We needed some power for our tools and the Honda's provided the necessary power that we needed. Just recently on my roof rebuild we use the camp Yamaha generator to power up the portable air compressor for the nail guns used....

For everyone that is thinking about getting a generator for camp, think Honda or Yamaha....think mostly about the quietness of the generator and the number of Watts it puts out....but you will need one for sure...I have three Honda's, 2 - 2K Watts and 1 - 1K Watt. I have been using the little 1000 watt one this year and will change its oil at the end of the season...I would definitely put one on my wish list for Christmas......and be sure to think about a good extended run tank for a stocking stuffer.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Portable Generators
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:35:02 AM »
we use a yamaha at lotw on our ice trip. that guy runs non-stop for 3-4 days in -20 to -30 degrees. it's incredible
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 08:37:59 AM »
You are correct Bo can't go wrong with the Honda or Yamaha in either style of brush type which is louder than the inverter styles. I would add if your going to run a 3 or 6 gallon extended run tank go with the Honda 2000 it has a vacuum operated fuel pump where the Yamahas I have looked at does not. However there are several good YouTube videos on how to add a vacuum operated fuel pump to the Yamahas. I also would add a hour meter, I didn't do this when I purchased mine due mainly it was a demo from Atlanta motor Speedway. The Honda does have a a hour counter but you have to be quick to count the flashes on the run light indicator when you start it up. Every flash is 100 hours, is what I was told at a repair facility, at that time they said I had over 600 hours on mine. The only issues I have found on the Honda 2000 is the pull cord freys inside the plastic housing near the recoil starter housing. I have replaced Jap51 and have a spare cord in my generator service kit I carry. The kit includes a spark plug, Coleman lantern funnel with clear tube 3" long, a measuring cup, a homemade drain spout I made from pvc, rags 10/30 Honda air cooled oil and of course spare pull rope. These units also need the valves adjusted according to specs every 300 hours. There not difficult to do is you have the adjustment wrenches I've adjusted mine and Jap51 with no issues. Hardest part is splitting the plastic housing.
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
I haven't had any experience with the Yamahas but have seen a couple of the small Hondas in action and very impressed with how quiet they are.  I have an old Briggs powered (10HP) generator I bought over 25 years ago, it's a beast to start with a rope in the dead of winter, so I converted it to electric start.  I'm getting ready to buy an integrated backup generator for the house (LP powered) and thinking it's time to send my portable generator down the road and buy a little 1000 or 2000 Honda when I do need some portable power.  Based on what you guys are saying I should probably look into the Yamaha as well.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 11:27:25 AM »
I have a Rigid 6800 from Home Depot but it has a Yamaha motor. It is not the quietest but not the loudest either. It runs all night every night I am in camp to run my cpap and a lot during the day to run the pump and whatever tools.we may be using.  Alter two years its still going strong.

We also have an older verter system at the cabin but after many years of use the batteries finally quit taking a charge. Its $2-4k to deplace.them dependjng on what type we get. I just have not been using the place enough to warrent replacing then at this time. 

We also have a LP fueled Generac RV generator that we used to power the inverter and camp. That  one was not working either but we did bring it home this year to get it repaired.  It will to not have to lug gasoline back and forth again. We easily burn 5+ gal.a day.  If we can not replace the inverter batteries I may look into one of the small Honda 2000i models just to run.the cpap.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 08:23:16 AM »
I'll say this about the club's Yamaha 2800 watt inverter we use at camp. This little generator has been a work horse for us. It's eight years old and has several thousand hours on it. Hands down one of the best I've ever used. The Honda 2000 is another winner that you'll get your monies worth out of over the years. If you in the market for a Generator/invertor you'll never go wrong with either as Bo indicated the Jap's got it right with these Generators.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 09:45:20 AM »
My first portable generator was a Coleman, 1800 watts....ran good when I used it, but when we started using it at the old club in a smaller Cook Shack, it did not last. Fortunately, I was working a lot of OT (I always worked all the OT I could) and coughed up the money for a Honda 1000, which I still used today!! Great product!! I first used it (the Honda 1000) for a Pop-Up, then later on moved up to a 20 ft long travel trailer with a slide out (20 ft long Fleetwood Orbit). The Honda 1000 was just too small for it so I purchased a larger Honda 2000 but it too was a bit too small, it needed a 2400 watt generator, so had to buy yet another Honda 2000 + a parallel kit to link both generators together. Both of them together was have the amps I needed to run everything at once in the Orbit...

After a few years of hauling the Truck, Camper and ATV down to Georgia a few times, it had everybody worried about pulling it down, but me. Had to get a hitch welded onto the Orbit. The ATV/Trailer pulled the bumper almost off of the Orbit. So once that was taken care of, and got the 2 Honda generators, camping was just a matter of time in getting everything set up.....

Once I bought the camper where I am at now some 5 or 6 years ago, I sold the Orbit Camper, but kept the Honda generators. Over the years up here in TN, it has been some stormy weather, cold, ice storms, stupid things that caused folks to cut down trees and have them fall directly on the power line (Metalman you would have laugh you tail off. That would never happen to you!). A few times over the last 10 or so years, we have needed to used the Honda's for 3 or 4 days of continuous running....

The Generators do need maintenance for sure....like Metalman, says, change oil every 75 hours. I will change oil in the Honda 1000 early next year, but have to use it one more time during our last hunt week of the year. I just got all three of them a complete tune up 2 years ago and have not used the Honda 2000 that much, use alternate them when hunting last year and used the Honda 1000 exclusively this year.

So like Split Toe says, the Japs did it right when it comes to the Generators and most Japanese  made optics are very good, they don't make bad cars and trucks either. We have four Toyota products in the driveway and garages. Wonder why Yamaha never got into the auto division?? I got my first Yamaha Stereo Integrated Amp (CA-610) and Tuner (CT-610) and with the amp head room, its low THD and distortion it was wonderful unfortunately the ex-wife wanted it so she got it...I replaced the Yamaha Components at the first chance I got and today have a 7.1 Yamaha Receiver along with the beryllium driver speakers for my Man Cave surround sound!! Yamaha makes very good musical instruments!! like their pianos, and 12 string guitars, wow!! Their ATV's aren't bad either, my 1999 Big Bear 350 has served me well over the years, low maintenance along with great gas mileage...wow, cannot say enough about it!! You could say the same thing about the Honda's as well and the same thing for Suzuki's

But wonder why Yamaha never got into the automotive business?? Honda is into everything except the musical business, heck they even make small commercial and private jets and robots...LOL...My 5 Weatherby's are made in Japan! 4 or the 5 are Mark V's and the original Vanguard (which is a Howa 1500)!! 

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 10:45:51 AM »
bo- don't forget about the yamaha outboards. i've been very happy w/ the 2 i've owned. one met it's demise on a reef on a LOTW trip, but that was of course my fault. that was pre-gps mapping on my boat
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 03:34:18 PM »
Yari - With the Yamaha Outboard products, I will turn over this to Split Toe....after hunting is over, he cleans his rifles puts them up and then grabs his rods and reels!!! He is a good fisherman also. I think on his boat, he has a Yamaha and several other of his fishing buddies have them on their boats as well....from what I hear, they are great outboards, great fuel economy and very reliable and durable.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
Portable Generators
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »
Yari I love my 25 hp Yamaha with electric start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:26:40 PM by metalman »
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline Split toe

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 06:27:48 PM »
bo- don't forget about the yamaha outboards. i've been very happy w/ the 2 i've owned. one met it's demise on a reef on a LOTW trip, but that was of course my fault. that was pre-gps mapping on my boat
Yari I've owned three bass boats over the years. I've had two Rangers one with a Johnson and the other with a Mercury 150. It had two built in 12 gallons tanks and it really like the gas. The fishing trip I go on every year to Lake Oconee is for seven days. The Ranger with the Mercury 150hp two stroke would burn 12 to 14 gallons of gas each day on the water. Wide open it would run 68 MPH and I'd make runs of about 20 miles each day.

Now I've got a Triton with a Yamaha 115hp four stroke. It has a 30 gallon gas tank and will run around 57 MPH. On the same trip I'll fill the boat up and fish that lake as I always have for the seven days and will return home with a quarter tank of gas. The Yamaha four stroke has really impressed me over the years and the saving just on gasoline has made the extra cost of the four stroke well worth the money. It very quiet and the performance is amazing. I'll never own another outboard motor that's not a Yamaha or four stroke engine. Yamaha also makes boats the G3's are welded aluminum and very well made. Metalman has one with a 25 four stroke Yamaha on it, awesome little fishing rig. Yamaha has their act together on anything they make! I'm a huge fan...

NRA Member
NWTF Member
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 07:17:07 PM »
Yari I've owned three bass boats over the years. I've had two Rangers one with a Johnson and the other with a Mercury 150. It had two built in 12 gallons tanks and it really like the gas. The fishing trip I go on every year to Lake Oconee is for seven days. The Ranger with the Mercury 150hp two stroke would burn 12 to 14 gallons of gas each day on the water. Wide open it would run 68 MPH and I'd make runs of about 20 miles each day.

Now I've got a Triton with a Yamaha 115hp four stroke. It has a 30 gallon gas tank and will run around 57 MPH. On the same trip I'll fill the boat up and fish that lake as I always have for the seven days and will return home with a quarter tank of gas. The Yamaha four stroke has really impressed me over the years and the saving just on gasoline has made the extra cost of the four stroke well worth the money. It very quiet and the performance is amazing. I'll never own another outboard motor that's not a Yamaha or four stroke engine. Yamaha also makes boats the G3's are welded aluminum and very well made. Metalman has one with a 25 four stroke Yamaha on it, awesome little fishing rig. Yamaha has their act together on anything they make! I'm a huge fan...

57 mph w/ a 115hp? i have a 115hp on my 1750 crestliner and it tops out about 45mph. i have to believe it's a lot lighter than your triton. is a glass boat that much faster?

i hated the only merc i ever owned. i won't buy another one
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 05:59:37 AM »
Forgot to mention the lawn care products also...have a self propelled 21" lawn mower made by Honda.....this past spring, put it in the shop just for kicks, and a tune up, new wheels and belts, change oil and filters, etc...there was nothing wrong with the 10 year old Honda, it was just time......

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 06:04:59 PM »

57 mph w/ a 115hp? i have a 115hp on my 1750 crestliner and it tops out about 45mph. i have to believe it's a lot lighter than your triton. is a glass boat that much faster?

i hated the only merc i ever owned. i won't buy another one
My Triton is the TR175 which is 17'3" I have a stainless steel prop on it which will give you and addition 3 to 4 mph. I know a Bass Boat hull design is built for speed and when I'm at full throttle and fully trimmed the back 2 1/2 feet or less is all of the boat that is in the water as I'm riding on the back pad of the hull. Aluminum V hulls are slower by design. I cruise at 45 mph which saves a lot of fuel.  I would think that glass is heavier but hull design has a lot to do with performance. 
NRA Member
NWTF Member
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 07:11:14 PM »
Well stated Split.  There are a lot of factors coming into play - weight, weight distribution, hull form, surface speed, prop, etc.  Always tough to be able to make a true apples/apples comparison between two different boats.

Have been pondering swapping out the 125 Merc on my SeaRay fish & ski with a 4 stroke - probably would cost me more than the boat is worth, but when we're out running around tubing & skiing it would really be nice to go a bit longer without refueling, and to eliminate the smoke at idle.  It runs really good and is well matched to the boat otherwise.  No room to shove in a second or bigger fuel tank unfortunately.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad