New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: I HATE POACHERS  (Read 464 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
I HATE POACHERS
« on: November 26, 2017, 01:23:49 PM »
i was at the cabin for my final trip of the year. i saw 8 does friday and 11 saturday. it was a good hunt. i didn't have any big bucks on cams for 2 weeks. i have no idea where they went.

saturday night i was back from my evening hunt. it was pitch black. the shots started 1/2 hour after closing and stopped a full 2 hours later. i'll give someone 5-10 minutes, but this is nuts. i heard 8 individual shots well past legal light. i took my leicas out to see if i could see anything in the plots. NO WAY. THESE GUYS WERE USING LIGHTS. what a sad way for a deer to go. how low are they guys to need to poach? every shot made me sick

anyone else w/ the same problem? 
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: I HATE POACHERS
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 01:35:43 PM »
Haven't experienced that in recent years, but it is something I'm familiar with.  Have you given the local game warden or other law enforcement a heads up?  Was this happening on your place? 

Sorry to hear that news.  With the wolves, bears, and coyotes, the deer don't need to contend with poachers too, that's really sad.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 03:15:36 PM »
Yup the other day or evening at the  cousn's we heard 8 shots an hour after close , it was pitch black outside .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »
And next time they go out and legally hunt they will be the first ones to complain that there are no deer anywhere. I was at a game commission meeting in Pennsylvania many years ago and there were many hunters complaining of the lack of deer sightings. Now this is just my opinion but I figured there were many there in attendance that knew of poachers, possibly friends, but nobody will say a word to the authorities about them. If you do the math, for every doe you kill, there is one adult and 2.5 fawns. Each of those fawns when they grow up will yield 2.5 so now you have the original doe, which is still breeding, the 2.5 are adults and breeding 2.5 each and so on. Doesn't take long to get a lot of deer. You start killing them as poachers do, and yes, there will be a lack of deer. These people are called hunters but that is not the case. They are not hunters but killers that should never be allowed to hunt again. Total disrespect for every ethical hunter and the laws that are made to protect our resources.
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »
Haven't experienced that in recent years, but it is something I'm familiar with.  Have you given the local game warden or other law enforcement a heads up?  Was this happening on your place? 

Sorry to hear that news.  With the wolves, bears, and coyotes, the deer don't need to contend with poachers too, that's really sad.

there are very few wardens and they cover a lot of area. they would have to get very lucky to catch someone around me. 1/4 of the roads are still closed so access is limited. you'd have to be doing a sting operation from a tip

i couldn't help find them. i was in the cabin during the shooting. even w/ the 'entertainment center' (radio) playing, i could hear the shots very clear. they weren't far away. i wouldn't doubt it was the bozos west of me. i've caught them on my place twice already. they don't care about property lines so why would they care about legal shooting hours
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 08:27:09 AM »
Someone shot a deer in the field in front of my buddies house a few years ago. They heard tbe shot and saw tbe deer the next morning. It sat and rotted there all summer. I understand people poaching because they need the meat but I don't get why people do it just for the sake of killing.

I heard Ted Nugent say something once along the lines of if everyone turned in one person they knew was poaching, we would not have a poaching problem. One of the few things Ted said that really rung true to me. Too many know people but won't turn them in for various reasons.

Unfortunately most game services do not have the manpower to keep up with the amount of poaching that takes place, and the poachers know it and play the odds.

I hear a LOT of shots several minutes before and after legal hunting hours. A minute or two I get just due to variances in clocks but some of these are obviously someone breaking the law. Sorry folks that is poaching!
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

New Page 3

Google Ad