New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Waddell goes off...  (Read 943 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Waddell goes off...
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »
Yari, DEhunter and I are on the same page.  I don't get the thrill of shooting small/immature bucks as I did 25 years ago, so I let them walk.  I do, however, get pumped when I see a mature buck so that is what I choose to pursue.  They bring so much more to the table (no PUN intended).  If I eat a tag, I eat a tag.  If I need meat, I shoot does.  I also, have gotten to the point I enjoy managing deer nearly as much as harvesting them.  I love constructing food plots, hanging stands, cataloging pictures of bucks as the mature, etc.  I realize many people are not as fortunate given the time constraints they have to hunt or limited access to good hunting property, etc.  If I only had a week to hunt per year in a marginal hunting location, I too would probably shoot the first buck that crossed my sight.  A lot of variables can get introduced into this equation.         

good point Ben. we all are in different situations. as long as it's a legal deer and there are no restrictions on the property being hunted, have at it if you want
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 09:24:17 PM »
I really think he's right on , it's much more fun when you are open to shooting other bucks , it was fun to take a smaller buck with a smaller rack out of the gene pool .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 08:51:09 AM »
its all about the circumstances at your location. In Kentucky, you get one buck and two does. thats it. we have elected to not shoot does because we are trying to build the deer population back up after blue tongue wiped them out. that leaves me 1 deer to kill if I see a trophy and I pass 99% of the time. The wife and I can easily eat 2 deer a year...  I dont know... maybe im just getting older but sitting out there day after day waiting on a 150" deer I will probably never see is just getting old and boring. If I want to just be alone in nature, I can do it with a fishing pole in one hand and a beer in the other..
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Online Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 08:01:53 PM »
With my 5th year hunting deer, i have been grateful to take does for freezer filler.  I have enjoyed the process, harvesting, field dressing, processing, cooking and best of all, eating food hunted.  Now, if lady luck brings out a nice bruiser, why yes, i will send an arrow or pill to bring him down.  Despite what the good Lord has brought my life this past year, being in the woods has made life simpler.  I will continue to focus on "living grateful and living in joy" even when some days are difficult.

Thanks HM and good luck to everyone's rest of season.  We are already blessed by being able to step into the woods.
NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 09:16:14 AM »
I shoot doe for meat and then trophy hunt. I get more enjoyment out of watching the deer do there thing in the wild. I have no problem with someone shooting a small buck. To each there own. The past two seasons are mainly about my son. Watching him get excited and harvest what ever he wants is way more fun than shooting a monster by myself.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

New Page 3

Google Ad