New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Road Kills  (Read 530 times)

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Road Kills
« on: November 15, 2017, 08:05:31 AM »
As I traveled from PA through OH to MI over the past weekend on the PA and OH turnpikes and I-75 in MI at over the count of 30 I lost count and would not be afraid to estimate 40+ deer killed and splattered all over the roadways. I do realize that the rut has kicked in, up here, but some of these deer have been laying on the roadsides for many days, as indicated by the excessive bloating. Some for grease/blood spots were, in some cases two lanes wide and 1/4 mile long. I guess my question is, doesn't any of these highway department remove the road kills from the highways? at least for safety reasons? It was obvious that some of the deer were run over many many times. There were several cases in OH where the deer were moved to the berm or medium barrier of the road and marked with an orange safety cone? How many other states have the same issues with road kills? On a side note: there were many other smaller critters DOR (dead on road)
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
Re: Road Kills
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 08:53:14 AM »
Seems like Maryland picks them up fairly quick, including the bears that get hit. The road crews know this is the time of year for this so you would think they would put out some extra crews out looking for them and getting them disposed of. Just my opinion.
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 12:04:37 PM »
In Michigan, the road commision does not pick them up.  If you hit a deer, the state gives you first dibs, but anyone can claim either deer or bear roadkills.  All you have to do is contact 911, they will contact whoever has jurisdiction, they will send out an officer, and he will issue a permit.  In my area, the sheriff's dept has jurisdiction.  Btw, I have picked up three deer that were hit within 100 yds of my place.  In one case, the deer was still alive, and the deputy finished it off.  I have counted as many as 10 roadkills in a 3 mile stretch or road, during one fall season.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 03:04:36 PM »
Sure is that time of the year , been seeing many road kills lately , the deer are really moving here .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 04:46:35 PM »
We almost hit a buck about a week and a half ago. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »
Same here deer on the move and lots of road kills.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »
There are a lot along US23 and I75.  Its worse in the spring and during the fall rut.   I almost hit a buck last night driving home from my hunt.

If you do hit one the police will issue a salvage tag if you want to keep it.  I kept the one I hit a few years back and gave to someone who needed the meat, they also processed it themselves.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 04:36:42 PM »
they quit picking them up in WI a few years ago. they don't even have a call list for those that want them for meat. it's a waste
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 01:26:01 PM »
Same here Yari, lots of great venison going to waste, just fattening up the yotes, possums, and buzzards
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad