New Page 2

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

What is the longest range you will shoot your bow at a deer?

20 Yards
1 (2.6%)
30 Yards
12 (31.6%)
40 Yards
17 (44.7%)
50 Yards
3 (7.9%)
60 Yards
3 (7.9%)
70 Yards
1 (2.6%)
80 Yards
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: How far is too far?  (Read 1419 times)

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
Re: How far is too far?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 08:21:41 AM »
I guess call me the unethical one...  I shoot to 60 everyday... as in EVERYDAY. I killed a six point this weekend at 52 yards according to the range finder. Hit him exactly where it needed to be and he didn't run 50 yards and piled up. But in saying that, there was zero wind and the deer was calm and eating acorns and didn't know I was anywhere to be seen. I didn't have to stop the deer either, so in saying that, the deer was not alerted or nervous or anything. That's ideal conditions and I won't take a shot like that any other time. If it's windy or getting darker, or if the deer seems a little "geeked" out to me I won't shoot past 35. The biggest deal is not to get in a hurry, settle the pin, and if your practice is consistent there shouldn't be any issue with shooting deer at any of your practice ranges. My thing is, why practice at 40+ yards if you're never going to take a shot over 35? If that was the case for me, I would be practicing every which way I could from 35 in for those conditions and never worry about a shot over that if I wasn't ever going to take it.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline Foss1lHunter

• 7 Point
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 01:31:38 PM »
I will shoot without hesitation between 20-35 yards and 45 if the wind is less than 5 mph with a Mission Dagger Crossbow.  Still saving up for the No-Cam.

I shot a doe at 21 yards last year, buck last night at 26 yards both double-lunged.        %^$^

NRA Life Member
NHAC Life Member
RMEF Member
Buck Masters Member
SummerBlast 2016
USTA Member
USA Cycling Member

• Spike
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 07:47:43 PM »
I practice 45yds but keep my personal shot limit to 30yds. This doesn't mean I'm not capable or confident in shooting 45yd.

New Page 3

Google Ad