New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: trail cam reliance  (Read 403 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
trail cam reliance
« on: November 05, 2017, 11:11:05 AM »
OK, i probably guilty of relying on cams way too much. this weekend was a huge eye opener. i had 4" of fresh snow saturday AM. i walked around and cut a huge buck track, not the size you see every day. when i checked the 'scrape cam' i saw he walked directly in front of it and even freshed the scrape. guess what? no pic of him

the next cam i checked was the 'apple tree cam'. sure enough, he walked passed that cam also. guess what? no pic.

it makes you wonder how often that happens. i'm going to name this guy GHOST BUCK. he just doesn't trigger my cams.

FYI i'm using browning strike force cams. i've never had problem w/ them. they are my go to cam. i'm amazed at some of the moving pics i get, so this is a head shaker
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
Re: trail cam reliance
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 07:21:50 PM »
Check to see at what sensitivity the sensors are set at , you may have to set them different so they are more sensitive .  ##$%#1118 
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline yari

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 07:33:36 PM »
Check to see at what sensitivity the sensors are set at , you may have to set them different so they are more sensitive .  ##$%#1118

i wish that was it. i got plenty of other deer pics, just not that buck. batteries were just changed and read 100%. i've had 1000's of pics this year from both cams. he's just real lucky or a GHOST like i said. he has a huge track to be sure
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 07:58:38 PM »
Yeah, I wish I understood that too.  One morning last year I had a doe, her little one, and then a small buck come down a trail out in front of one of my bow stands while I was in the tree.  I had a cam on that trail that all three walked by.  Swapped out the card on my way out that morning & plugged it into the laptop when I got home - nothing.  I suspect we all miss quite a few with the cams, mine aren't foolproof for sure. When you have snow or mud to capture the hard evidence of the critters that came by, it's obvious you're not catching them all.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 08:47:32 AM »
Funny I was thinking he was a ghost buck before I got to the end of your Post.

I have a friend who strictly bow hunts. He has 17 P&Y bucks on his wall.   He hasnít killed a buck in a few years now. About 3 years ago he went to cameras that send pics via the cell network.  I asked him last week if he has been getting much time to hunt. He showed me some pics of some huge bucks and said he hasnít hunted a single time because all his bucks are 100% nocturnal. That made me think how cams can be relied on too much and take the enjoyment of hunting.  I told him to get his butt out there and hunt. And just because those bucks havenít stepped in front of a cam for a pic doesnít mean theyíre not there.  I reminded him to think of how many times he watched deer that didnít come to the feeder....just walked on by. 

I agree we probably rely on them too much. Kinda like these new fish finders that cost $3500.  Back in the day people fished for pleasure. They fished patterns depending on the conditions and seasons.  Now they stare at a computer screen instead of fishing. Iím mainly talking about bass fisherman. You see them blow into an area idle around looking at their screens and rely totally on them. 

I think it would do most outdoorsmen good to somehow find ways to reconnect with nature and stop relying so heavily on the gadgets that are pushed down our throats. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 04:55:03 PM »
right on russ. i couldn't agree w/ you more

don't get me wrong, i like the cams. i do think they are just too much.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 06:15:50 PM »
Agreed - once in a while you just gotta step back from all of the gadgetry & get back to basics, trusting your instincts.  Have had to remind myself of that more than once over the years, and it usually pays off.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad