New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 270 WSM Build  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Re: 270 WSM Build
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 07:54:02 AM »
Here's a very good article that compares barrels.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/01/02/best-rifle-barrel/

Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 12:20:31 PM »
Dutch - Thanks for the article comparing barrels....everyone has his/her favorites...I have several rifles with PAC-Nor, Shilen, Krieger, Douglas, Brux and a bunch of Wilson barrels and all of them can out shoot me!!! LOL....I like Stiller and Sturgeon action and have a couple of each..but it is hard to beat a good old Remington 700 Action....
I have just recently had a Bison barrel put on my 6.8 SPC II with its 10" twist rate....

In your post, did not see a twist rate for the new 270WSM build?? is it going to be the standard 10" or will it be 11" to 11 1/2" or maybe even 12" twist?? What is the bullet you are going to build around the 270WSM. Knowing that you have a love for speed, the 130 gn ELD-X or the Accubond Long Range?? maybe even the newer 120 gn pill??

But your components are top notch...are you going to build it or just let your local Gunsmith do it??.....

I am thinking of having my local AR shop build me a custom 26 Nosler for around 5 grand. But have been thinking about just buying me another Cooper for half the price....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 06:21:57 PM »
That's a great article Dutch.  I really liked the 2012 to 2013 comparison so did a little surfing to see if they had repeated that analysis since then and found this article from 2015:  http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/11/21/precision-rifle-barrels/

Bartlein is still on the top of the pile, but another name has closed the gap in 2nd place, and that name wasn't on the 2013 list (maybe one of those manufacturers operating under a new name??)
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 07:28:54 PM »
   Thanks Guys    I sent off a few emails to get info from the barrel makers themselves about the twist rate and type of rifling they recommend for the 6.5x284.  No replys yet.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 01:00:38 AM »
I have an old Shilen DGA original made in 1981, (When ED was running the shop) they only produced around 3000 rifles total....it shoots like a dream..always 1/2" or under with just about any load you put down it.....

I agree that Bartlein is a great producers but also Kreiger, Lilja, Hart, Brux are still very good barrels. For the money, Shaw and Douglas barrels are the best value. Just got to put your time in and find the right load....

But you always build a custom rifle around a certain bullet...in this case, will Dutch target the 120 or 130 or even the 140 gn and at what velocity will he want out of his new build?
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 03:27:18 PM »
I have an old Shilen DGA original made in 1981, (When ED was running the shop) they only produced around 3000 rifles total....it shoots like a dream..always 1/2" or under with just about any load you put down it.....

I agree that Bartlein is a great producers but also Kreiger, Lilja, Hart, Brux are still very good barrels. For the money, Shaw and Douglas barrels are the best value. Just got to put your time in and find the right load....

But you always build a custom rifle around a certain bullet...in this case, will Dutch target the 120 or 130 or even the 140 gn and at what velocity will he want out of his new build?

I have 2 Bartlien's now and I do love them. I also like their 5R riffling. Their build time is a bit on the lengthy side at least 5 months. Worth the wait IMO.

Since we last spoke on the phone Bo I actually have 4 barrels coming. The Pac-Nor is coming with a 1:11 twist at 28". You know about the hammer forged barrel I'm getting from Europe, it's at 29" 1:11. I've ordered a Bartlein 29" with 1:14/1:11 progressive twist like my "Brain Surgeon". I also have a Krieger 28" 1:11 coming. All are also in the light varmint contour and no fluting. All of these are made with 416R stainless which is the same alloy the Defiance action is made out of. The Defiance action is very impressive BTW. I'll be doing 90% of the build myself. When it comes time to fit the barrels I'll go to Mark's and fit them all there so we can true them up and cut the crowns.

I'm planning to use 130's with long secants not sure of bullet brand oo velocity yet but somewhere around 3800 I'm thinking (you know me!!!). That's why all at muzzle twist rates are 1:11 because I'm pushing the pill hard. I'm sure it will be a little different with each barrel. Leaning towards IMR4007SSC powder because of it's density. Hopefully the Pac-Nor will be here next month. I can start playing with it then as the others arrive I'll do my happy dance.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

New Page 3

Google Ad