New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 270 WSM Build  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
270 WSM Build
« on: October 31, 2017, 08:03:23 PM »
Strongly considering one of these actions: http://defiancemachine.com/deviant-hunter/

McRees G7 Standard Rifle Stock

Pac-Nor 29" 1.235 diameter straight taper to .975 mat or bead blasted stainless barrel threaded for Pac-Nor brake

Jewell BR700 stainless trigger

Leupold VX6 4x12x50 scope

Ken Farrell rings
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: 270 WSM Build
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 08:11:30 PM »
Sounds like they should all work together Dutch , after you rob that local bank .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 06:03:00 AM »
I like it that would make an awesome looking rifle. How about a suppressor?
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 02:02:45 PM »
I like it that would make an awesome looking rifle. How about a suppressor?
I like that idea Metal it's a good one!! @--0--0123
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 04:12:01 PM »
definitely a good scope. i can't speak to the rest
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 07:02:40 PM »
Sounds like a fun project Dutch.  Would love to hear your opinion on stainless vs. plain steel.  Is your preference for stainless based on bore life, ease of maintenance, ???
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 08:16:24 PM »
Sounds like a fun project Dutch.  Would love to hear your opinion on stainless vs. plain steel.  Is your preference for stainless based on bore life, ease of maintenance, ???

my bet is stainless. i really like my stainless toys. what do the gun geeks say?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 08:55:53 AM »
It all looks good Dutch. excellent scope, and action, trigger is good and I like the stainless barrel choice. sent a pic of my Birthday present when it is complete and thanks a bunch BTW my birthday in June 26 but hey you know take your time. --099-780 --099-780 --099-780
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 07:06:43 PM »
Here's an excellent article on barrel questions.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/barrel-faq/

A few more thoughts;

What’s the difference between Chrome lined, Chromoly and Stainless Steel Barrels?

To start let’s separate chromoly barrels from stainless steel barrels. Chrome lined and chromoly barrels are usually made from a chromium-molybdenum alloy (chromoly). For higher quality, and longer life, chromoly barrels can also contain vanadium, usually seen in machine gun barrels marked as “CMV”.

Usually when people say chrome lined they are referring to whether the bore of the barrel has been plated with chrome. Adding a thin layer of chrome to the bore of the barrel will increase the life of the barrel, decrease the amount of time to clean the barrel, and increase corrosion resistance. Due to the non-uniformity of the chrome plating, accuracy is very slightly degraded when chrome lining the barrel. Chrome lined barrels are more expensive then their non-lined counterparts.

The life expectancy of any barrel is vastly affected by the rate of fire the barrel has to endure. The faster the rate fire, the quicker the barrel degrades, especially under prolonged rates of fire. So if you plan on doing lots of mag dumps or lots of quick shooting chrome lined is the way to go. If your needs are good accuracy and you don’t plan on heating the barrel up to much, you can save some money and go with a non-lined barrel.

If you want the best of both worlds, accuracy and life expectancy, stainless steel might be what your looking for. Stainless steel barrels would be your best option for accuracy, while also being the most impervious to corrosion. While stainless steel barrels are considered to be more accurate, they generally weigh more than the chromoly counterparts.

To sum it all up;
Chromoly = cheapest, lightest, high accuracy, shorter life
Chrome lined = best for high round count and rapid fire, less accurate
Stainless steel = high accuracy, high round count

Gun Geek! Proud of it!
TO old to care!

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 08:22:42 PM »
Thanks Dutch.  I've been careful to steer clear of chrome plating on anything that I'm looking for accuracy from, for exactly the reasons you've mentioned.  Looking to build another AR soon, and would like to do it with an 18" barrel w/rifle length gas system.  While I know this gun isn't likely to ever measure up to a bolt gun for accuracy, I still want it to be a good shooter.  My current debate is whether to go with stainless, or a nitride chromoly barrel on it.  Even though they're capable of it, I don't do mag dumps on my ARs, I'm simply too tight to burn ammo like that.  I want a good 200 yard tool that will give me a quick followup on yotes (or multiple yotes), and the AR platform has been fun for me to tinker with on that objective.  Nitriding is a good treatment for both the inside and outside of a barrel in my view - and for this gun I'd prefer a dark barrel, although I can darken stainless if need be.  Any experience to share on nitrided bores from an accuracy view vs. stainless?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 06:20:47 PM »
    Dutch     How is the rifle build going?  What will the main use of the rifle be?   An guy at a gunshop over in North Dakota said his friend is winning lots of 1000 yard matches all over the U.S. with a 27 caliber rifle, but he was unsure if it was a wildcat or a standard cartridge. I didn't realize the 27 cal was used for long range. Good luck on the project and keep us informed.

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 08:14:19 AM »
Good article Dutch...I like where your headed with the 270 WSM project!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 12:58:29 PM »
not, I have the components ordered. Expect all to arrive sometime in Feb or March. This is my second 27 build. The first was a wildcat necked down 300 Win Mag (Rifle called SpinDoc). This build is a straight 270 WSM.  Main use is long range prairie dog tipper. Secondary use deer and elk. Should also work to slap a few yotes as well.

I may wind up with a second barrel for this project. Unsure if it will turn out  but going to try. Having a hammer forged rolled laminated stainless one made. Going to see how and if it turns out. Hopefully when I taper and flute it it will have a forged pattern in it that will look like shock-waves.

Mad, I'm not an expert at all on AR platform. IMO I think the nitride path would be your best bet. Your going to be hiding most of the barrel with a hand guard anyway. MI-B would have a better idea on your build than I.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
TO old to care!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »
Mad, I'm not an expert at all on AR platform. IMO I think the nitride path would be your best bet. Your going to be hiding most of the barrel with a hand guard anyway. MI-B would have a better idea on your build than I.

My barrels have been Blacknitride or Stainless,   I may have a chrome lined in the mix.     To be honest the I have not put that much thought into the metallurgical makeup of the barrels I have selected and have found this thread to be most enlightening myself.

I know the barrel on my .450BM build is chromoly and it put a hole exactly where I aimed it on the last deer I took @ 177 yards.    Not what most would consider long range, but getting there for a 450BM. IMHO

I have only recently begun trying to be more accurate than minute-of-a-deer so I cannot give you a very detailed analysis of the various barrels I have used.  I have never really pushed myself or the barrels to see what we are capable of.  The 450BM is the first rifle I built where I really did spend some extra time to try and make an accurate rifle.  And it is that, with just factory ammo.

I think I got the bug shooting steel at Summerblast a few years ago.   Clanging the gong at 300+ yards was cool as heck and sparked something.  There aren't a lot of places here, that I am aware of,  where I can really shoot that far.

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
Dutch     I am in the process of picking out a barrel for a rifle project I hope to start in a few weeks. The rifle will be chambered for a 6.5x284 norma cartridge. This cartridge is a known barrel burner and I was wondering if the type of rifling makes a difference in the "life" of the barrel. Some barrel makers say their barrels last longer then other barrel makers barrels. The barrel will be a stainless steel sporter weight about 26 inches with a threaded muzzle break.    ACCURACY is the most important but barrel life matters too. I am not loyal to any barrel brands but I don't want to wait 6-8 months either. This rifle will see shots out to 1 mile "on steel" but still needs to be a rifle that can be carried some. I am going to try keep the weight of the rifle itself to about 8.5 pounds.     Any thoughts you have on a brand or type of rifling for my project would be greatly appreciated Dutch.   

New Page 3

Google Ad