New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Accuracy  (Read 397 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Accuracy
« on: October 30, 2017, 06:20:27 PM »
    I'm wondering about what is the most important part of reloading for accuracy as far as the components used.   I have allways figured that of the components used the bullet is the most important but a friend says that the powder used may be the most important for accuracy. I understand that it is hard to prove anyones opinion but I'm just curious to see what thoughts everyone has on this.  I have been shooting a 6mm Creedmoor with factory ammo and will be trying to duplicate the accuracy with my handloads. I figured if I used the same bullet at the same velocity that the accuracy should be the same, but maybe not. I'm curious to find out.

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »
Notsams - there are guys on here who are infinitely more qualified to answer your question than I am, but as I just started reloading a couple of years ago I can tell you it's been a real eye opener for me.  I thought too that matching muzzle velocity with a given bullet should result in similar performance, but I've learned it's not the case.  Holding the bullet constant but changing powders can make a significant difference in group size, and likewise you can find a combo that works well and then change to a different style of pill with roughly the same weight and again see drastic differences. I've had cases in which one powder gave me groups in the 1" area while another powder (all else being constant) resulted in 3" groups at 100 yds.  As an engineer I wish I could apply a magic formula to optimize everything right out of the gate, but so far I'm learning mostly by experimentation.  For me the first step is to identify a bullet style that I expect to work well with the rate of twist in a given rifle, then adjust things from there. It was a big help to learn that bullet length is actually the thing you need to consider with respect to your twist rate, rather than bullet weight. Dutch tipped me off to the concept of a ladder test to zero in on the optimal charge for a given bullet, but then don't forget about seating depth, primers, case length, etc.  Be patient and be methodical, you'll be amazed at the results you can gain vs. factory ammo.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 08:57:36 PM »
Good question and good luck to you with matching factory ammo performance. You will have a lot of work to do with that mind set. Here are a couple of considerations for you: 1. The pill - every pill will need to be weighed, depending on manufacturer there can be +/- 3-4 grains from stated weight. ie 180 gn pill, I have had them as high as 184 and as low as 177. 2. Brass - factors to consider OAL, wall thickness, and neck ID (in comparison to factory load) unless you are using the original factory brass, once fired. 3. Primer - some primers are much hotter than others and ignition will vary depending on the powder charge used. 4. Powder - Most manufacturers will not tell you what powder or charge they use in factory ammo. (liability issues) best guess on powder type after removing pill from factory loads and then getting the charge right. This is where some of the reloading manuals will help you to a starting point (Min charge and type for certain ballistics) Then you can work it from there. Use your instincts for what you want, pill type, boat tail, soft point, hollow point?

I'm sure that Bo, Dutch and PA may be able to give you a little more technical information with twist rate, harmonics and such, but from my experience, figure out what you want for the end state, and work it up with all information you have, take good notes for each round and have fun on the range. Aim Small, Miss Small Good Luck again.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
Im of tbe belief.that there is not one single factor but the combination of all the components combined with the consistency and repeatability of the process and attention to detail.   If I have learned anything from the gurus here it is that every step of the reloading process contributes to the quality of the end result.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 09:19:03 PM »
Sometimes it's how far the bullet is from the rifling in the barrel , some like to be close some don't like to be close .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 06:45:42 PM »
WOW thanks for all the interest and advice. I am looking forward to the challenge.

New Page 3

Google Ad