New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Remington 700 .243 varmint 26"barrel - Temney or Jewell trigger?  (Read 662 times)

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
Looking to upgrade trigger. Wictch one would you recommend for dusty and hot pdogs hunting?
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Remington 700 .243 varmint 26"barrel - Temney or Jewell trigger?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 02:49:25 PM »
Gobihawk...wow, apples or oranges...I have both and either one would be good....however if push comes to shove.....I love the Jewell triggers...man it is like glass....also you might want to think about Shilen trigger as well...

I have a Remington Varmint 24" barrel in 243...the only thing I did was to put a HS Precision Fiberglass Stock on it and put a new Shilen trigger in it...adjust it for 2.5 lbs...I own four 243 and this one likes the 70 gn ballistic tips.....will not shoot 100 gn Sierra GK in it....Put a Leupold VX2 4-12X scope on it and happy with everything about it.....

Bo

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 03:15:40 PM »
Thanks Bo. I will checkout Shilen triggers. Was the HS stock easy to install? What is the twist?

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 10:46:08 PM »
Gobi - Yes it was a drop-in type...just do very little bit of filing for tight fit....Heck it cost me almost $400 back in the mid 90's when I bought it...It came with 30mm steel rings one piece Leupold base also steel...all I did was to re-mount the base and replace the 30mm rings with 1" rings for the Leupold VX2 4-12X with AO (the old style). Replace the high glossy stock with the black wed matte fiberglass stock and replace the factory trigger with the Shilen Trigger, adjusted the trigger down to 2.5 lbs and start the process of reloading trying to find what load does it like.....

This is a very long range yote/hog rifle that I like to use on these kritters....funny I have a short Ruger M77 International 243 that shoot dime groups at 100 yards using the 100 gn Sierra Game King....thought it would be a yote rifle but this one is a great shooter....   

Attached is a target I shot at the range last year....shot it at 100 yards and it was sighted in for 200 yards...In my notes, I made one click to the left and left it there.....
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:52:15 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 04:56:26 PM »
Once rut is over. I will finish working up a load for 95 gr ballistic tips. Then will use during deer gun season. After gun season will take to local gun shop. They will install and test lefthanded timney trigger for $170.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 06:50:59 AM »
Gobihawk - What load did you finally end up with?....A couple of my 243's like the 100 gn Sierra GK using 42.5 gns of H4831........
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
Bo, using Berger 87 gr VLD using 41.5 grains of H4350. I love the groups. Next month will see how the pdogs like them.

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 07:38:05 PM »
Just got back from SD pdog hunting. Temney trigger worked awesome. Will own more Temney triggers in the near future. Berger 87 grain bullet were awesome as well. Windy day switched from 22-250 with 55 grain bullet to 243 with 87 grain bullet. Major reduction in window drift. Was cutting pdogs in half at 400 yards. Can't wait until next year. Pdogs we're getting lots of pressure this year. Will have to see if can find some private land next year.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 12:24:45 AM »
Gobi - Thanks for the update....Glad you mention the one factor that no one wants to talk about - The Wind....that is why when anyone goes out West, they have to considered the wind drift and of course the heavier the less drift you have but also it isn't as flat as you would like to see......Glad toe Timney Trigger worked out for you.....How old is the 243 ??
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 07:31:20 AM »
SD always has wind. It's just a matter of how strong and is it gusting. We try to setup to shoot into the wind when possible. Wind direction changes a few times throughout the day.

The .243 is three years old. Second pdog hunt. First hunt used 55 grain bullet.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 10:41:21 AM »
Here is the Jeff Hoffman Wind Forumla in PDF file...interesting read....makes a lot of sense.....

BTW Gobi - My Very West Texas Antelope (a stone's throw from New Mexico, you can actually see the border) on a 120,000 acre ranch and the wind is always blowing there too, there is not a tree in site of this place and all they grown there is Potatoes....apparently it is great for potatoes! Took and used the 25-06 with it 117 gn Sierra GK bullet. My choices were the 270 Win, in Remington Sendero, using the 140 Gn Ballistic Tip or my Remington 700 Varmint (24") heavy barrel with its Shilen Trigger and was using a 96 gn Barnex TSX....decided to go with the 25-06....

We spotted the Antelope 2.5 miles away, at least my outfitter did....I could not see past a mile, but to his trained eye, he told me that "we got to go". There were three nice Antelope Bucks there....and when we sneaked up on them two of the three had trotted off....he told me that the third one was a shootable buck worth taking...I carried a Kestrel wind meter with me and took a reading when we first cleared the truck, it read 22 mph....I had taped a dope sheet to each rifle's butt stock just in case....

We sneaked up him with a decoy and the buck saw the decoy but did not think it was a threat so he just went back to feeding, when he dropped his head back down I positioned myself along side of the Outfitter and got on what then was my right knee and rested the rifle on the shooting sticks....the outfitter had my rangefinder at the time and asked him how far he told me 318 yard and I use the dope sheet to see how far ahead of the goat I would have to aim...the sheet told me about 36 inches drift in that wind at that distance, I pulled the trigger - a hit - he ran and stopped at 340 yards and I hit him again, this time he dropped in his tracks...but the strange thing was that had to put the cross-hairs about 12 inches in front of his noise in order to make the hit....never had to do that in my life always put the cross-hairs on the game. When we got to him, the bullets had hit a little back but they were only 1 inch apart....it all happen within seconds....now realize that the wind was much stronger on the knoll than in the valley, where I took one reading at 22 MPH....it was more probably like 30 at the top of the knoll where the shots had taken place.......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »
Great hunt. Awesome shooting. Thanks for the info and sharing your story. I will add this to my windage Excel spreadsheet. Will check out the windage meter. It would be a great help pdog hunting.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 05:54:11 PM »
do you have to be scent conscience w/ pdogs? I don't know much about them.

sounds like a good time. SD has some wide open places
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »
No need to be scent conscience. We watch the wind for two reasons. One it's easy shooting into the wind. Second the wind reduces the noise level. The noise Spooks them. We start with .22 then .17 then .223  and/or .22-250 then .243. A good range finder is a great help.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 07:14:59 PM »
Gobi - Thanks for the post....Yes you are right about the wind, with it always blowing guess it would dampen the noise of a rifle.....the wind on our hunt was about 90 degrees to us so I used the cross wind chart (from excel) that I have taped and glanced at before putting on the stalk.....

A good rangefinder is hard to beat...I have them all from the first generation 400 yard Bushnell that you had to hold with both hands to the Leica 1200 yard you can hold with one hand and put it in your pocket....it has the best glass on the market bar-none!! Did buy a Bone Collector (made in china) 600 yarder a few years back just to keep in my fanny pack along with my binoculars....

6-28 - Bought the Bone Collector Rangefinder the month after the purchase of the Styker Solutions LS Crossbow...

Those poor pdogs didn't know what hit them did they.....LOL.....

Ps - I love excel, all of my hunting spreadsheets are in excel. 95% of my files that I generate up are from excel...I use Excel 2013.....
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 12:43:02 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad