New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: fletchings don't stay glued on  (Read 860 times)

Offline kjb-4320

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
fletchings don't stay glued on
« on: October 13, 2017, 09:44:02 PM »
hey guys it's been awhile since I've been on , but here's my question the fletchings will not stay on my aluminium shafts, so whats wrong @--0--0117
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: fletchings don't stay glued on
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 10:06:10 PM »
is the shaft clean? that's normally the problem
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 10:15:50 AM »
way back when i would dip my aluminium arrow in something can't remember what before we would Fletch them I had a long tube maybe 8 inches and put in some liquid that would ad hear to the arrow let dry then the Fletch would stick better
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 10:23:28 AM »
KJB - welcome back.  Yari's comment would be my first recommendation too - wipe the shafts down with alcohol before you glue things up.  Also wipe down the base of your vanes as well.

Next question:  What are you using for adhesive (flex-tite, tape, super glue . . . . ?)  Are you gluing on vanes or feathers? 

I haven't done any of my own arrows in recent years (once I switched to carbon arrows I never went back to get the right adapters for my jig) but have seen some plastic vanes get a little chalky on the surface after sitting in the supply box for a while - I suspect if you didn't wipe that off before you glued the bond wouldn't be very good.  Super glue is not very good if your arrows get wet, the stuff seems to break down in moisture, so I just wouldn't use it.  I had good luck with the tape but it's tedious.  Good old Fletch-tite is what I used the most, but even that stuff gets kind of gnarly after the tube is open for a while, so you might just need to buy a fresh tube.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline kjb-4320

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 07:19:34 PM »
Yep cleaning the shafts and vanes with denatured alcohol and using Bohning's platinum fletch-tite, and placing a small drop on each end of the vane 
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 12:34:09 AM »
is it just a few (1 or 2) or all of your arrows...crossbow or standard (compound, re-curve etc.) what style rest, assuming arrows are carbon or composite materials...some glues will adhere great on some materials but not on others especially carbon/glass composites...also some pvc fletching/vanes do not take adhesives well...may also be silicon contamination causing the whole problem...just food for thought...

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 06:18:04 AM »

I would clean them up good with denatured alcohol or Acetone, as you are doing.  I would also clean the vanes where they contact the shaft.  Any residue on the vanes will have the same effect and cause them not to adhere completely.  Wipe them off aftyer you put them in the clamp to avaid getting any oil from you hands on them with getting them set up.

Are you using enough glue and getting consistent pressure from the jig?  check the jigs as you place them on the arrow, make sure the vane is making complete contact it's entire length on both sides of the jig.   Do not push down so hard on the vane that you push all the glue out.  Make sure it is making full contact but do not push it too tight against the shaft (this varies with the type of jig, I am familiar with the Jo-Jan setup.) You want enough glue such that you can see a small seam of it along the vane but not so much it is running out.

As my bows started getting faster I had more an more issue with the Bohning glue products and sent to straight up super glue, crazy glue or similar.  You have to work a little faster and be more careful with getting glue on the jig but it held well.   I would still put a small dab on each end of the vanes as I pulled them out of the jig.

Super glue is not to bad to scrape off of aluminum when it comes time to replace one, it can be a bear to remove from some carbon arrows.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 06:56:39 AM »
I had that problem with my carbon arrows and started using an arrow wrap then glued the fletchings to the wrap.
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline kjb-4320

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 08:42:50 PM »
right now it's just a few of my aluminum hunting arrows,  it's just a regular compound bow with a whisker biscuit rest, I'm using the same arrows that I've redone before with out a problem , I'm using a Arizona easy fletch, and plastic vanes on aluminum arrows, i cleaned the arrows and the vanes with denatured alcohol really good this time we'll see if that works better, thanks guys for the help on this one
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 09:37:15 PM »
Ahh, this makes more sense now.  Whisker biscuits are rough on fletching. I tried one once and ended up removing it and going with another rest option for just this reason.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline MKMGOBL

• Spike
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 09:08:30 PM »
Ditto on what Hunt Master & MI_Bowhunter said ;)

I had a heck of time getting my Blazer vanes to stay on my Carbon Express arrows. I ended up ordering a lot of blank shrink wraps but I one thing I didn't want was the whole shrink wrap on my arrows so I cut them down to 2.75". It worked out pretty slick and solved my issues.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:20:07 PM by MKMGOBL »

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 10:08:41 PM »
I replaced the plastic vanes with feathers on all my aluminum arrows and didn't have any problems with the fletching staying on. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

New Page 3

Google Ad