New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 3 in a row  (Read 398 times)

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
3 in a row
« on: October 07, 2017, 07:27:33 AM »
I've identified 6 different bucks this summer on our place.  Here 3 of them looked like they were in line or playing follow the leader. 
Treefarmer

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: 3 in a row
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 08:20:02 AM »
Looking good for you in the out years to come.

Good Picture.

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 10:07:42 AM »
Thanks PJ!  The sad part about our situation is our 80 acres are surrounded by folks that aren't interested in allowing a buck to reach his potential.  Florida has in the last couple of years implemented some new rules concerning antler length and points.  So maybe the spike in the back will make another year unless he is downed by a youth under 16.  It's a little disheartening to plant and feed all year just to provide venison for other folks.  I love a big rack as much as anyone, but as long as he is legal I can't justify allowing him to walk across the fence and be killed by some one else.  The old saying, "You can't eat the horns", actually makes sense in this instance.  Florida is not as progressive in it's deer management as some other states, doe harvest is very limited, only a couple of week ends during rifle season unless you own/lease 640 acres, then doe tags are available.  Archery season allows doe harvest but that isn't for some of us.
Treefarmer

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 10:37:04 AM »
Thanks PJ!  The sad part about our situation is our 80 acres are surrounded by folks that aren't interested in allowing a buck to reach his potential.  Florida has in the last couple of years implemented some new rules concerning antler length and points.  So maybe the spike in the back will make another year unless he is downed by a youth under 16.  It's a little disheartening to plant and feed all year just to provide venison for other folks.  I love a big rack as much as anyone, but as long as he is legal I can't justify allowing him to walk across the fence and be killed by some one else.  The old saying, "You can't eat the horns", actually makes sense in this instance.  Florida is not as progressive in it's deer management as some other states, doe harvest is very limited, only a couple of week ends during rifle season unless you own/lease 640 acres, then doe tags are available.  Archery season allows doe harvest but that isn't for some of us.
Treefarmer

Not many restrictions here in Eastern NC.  I hunt 6 acres that I own behind my house.  Swamp behind that and woods and farms on each side of me.  I take a doe each year and my grandkids take whatever.
I only take 5 points are better, do the same at our Still Hunt club 9 miles away.  My dog club 60 miles away requires 4 point are better and only one doe per member.  Really fun to count points on a running buck.   @--0--0105
I run dogs just for the sound and the getting together of a group of guys who love the same thing.  A dying tradition, my county already does not allow dogs running deer.

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 07:13:20 PM »
There are not as many folks running hounds in Florida as there used to be.  Back in the day it was quite enjoyable.  We hunted long, north-south cypress strands on my wife's uncle's ranch. They owned two sections of land (1280 acres) but leased sometimes as much as 30 sections (close to 20,000 acres).  The lease was for grazing and hunting rights.  Usually a hunt was a big deal almost like a dove hunt.  Folks would park out on the hill on 2 trail roads that paralleled the cypress on both sides.  Some would be in the middle of the swamp where a road crossed the cypress and some of us would start the dogs into the wind following on horseback.  What an exciting time that used to be!  I could tell some good tales centered around those hunts back in the late 60's and early 70's.
Treefarmer

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »
 @--0--0101 this year, real cool picture @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 02:45:06 PM »
they are sparring and pestering does up north.

nice pic
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »