New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Pictures 9-28-2017  (Read 301 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Pictures 9-28-2017
« on: September 29, 2017, 07:26:08 AM »
Got there around 5 PM yesterday and had the range all to myself...shot time after that it quickly filled up...two buddies showed up along with a couple of other guys there....about 5:15 PM....so I sat up targets at 50, 100 and 200 yards, did not use the 50 yard targets because it was getting dark quicker, should have gotten there a lot early, my fault, will be there earlier next week for sure...

A funny story, there was a guy with a custom muzzle loader there with a suppressor on the end of it, it looked like a tennis ball can on the end of his muzzle....he said that he had not fired it yet and had just gotten it earlier in the day...wish i had taken a picture of it, but he was having trouble getting it on paper, it looked like he had a simple red dot. He set up targets at 50 yards, none at 100, just 50...after firing several rounds down range, he called for a "clear" on the range and went down to his 50 yard target and put about 8 more targets up, turned them over and made a big black dot in the center of the targets...LOL....he left shortly after. We all suggested a better scope on his new muzzle loader, something like a Leupold...he was sort of quiet in his demeanor, talking to himself...LOL...You can see this guy in-between the photo of the two other goof-ball buddies. The other guy that show up late had a muzzle brake on a 308...he shot it with and without the muzzle brake.....

Top to bottom photos are when I first got to the range and had walked down and set up targets and walked back...during our time shooting we saw, a doe, a gobbler, a rabbit and a ton of squirrels in the tree next to the benches....they were about 10 to 15 ft away from me...LOL...The second photo down is the Steyr M96 topped with a Ziess Conquest 3.5-10X x 44mm and the third photo down is the Cooper M22 in 7x57 also topped with a Ziess Conquest 3.5-10X x 44mm.....

After shooting we adjourned to our favorite Mexican Restaurant for dinner...we talked about the range, rifles, hunting and Billy's date...LOL...single guy in his mid to late 40's....we all are going to shoot next week as well......enjoy the photos....     
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 11 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: Range Pictures 9-28-2017
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 03:20:13 PM »
A suppressed muzzleloader - that's a new one on me.  Seems like a serious pain in the neck - you gotta take it off to load the gun?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »
you see all kinds at the ranges. even w/ a red dot, he should be able to pattern and adjust.

i see more times than not, the guys w/ all the latest gadgets can't hit the broad side of a barn. they normally have a god complex to
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 04:56:50 PM »
A suppressed muzzleloader - that's a new one on me.  Seems like a serious pain in the neck - you gotta take it off to load the gun?
Mad...I was thinking the same thing.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 09:49:36 PM »
Wish I had taken a direct picture of the tennis ball can size suppressor.....it sure did look funny.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 02:20:00 AM »
Mad...I was thinking the same thing.

seen them and if you use loose powder it needs to come off...most recommend using pelletized powder...which would eliminate the need to remove it...Bo- if he comes back snap a pic, also see if he is using pellets or loose.

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 08:46:29 AM »
OK - Good info Two Tales, will do...and take a close look at this monster.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 05:42:20 PM »
Well, I stand corrected....and my apologize to the guy at the range last year with the Tennis Ball Size Can on the end of the muzzle loader...I was laughing at it but come to find out that he should have been laughing at me...I do feel like an idiot...

There is such a beast...it is called a SilencerCo Maxium 50...it retails for $999 and saw it this morning in the June 2018 American Hunter......it is a barrel, suppressor, bullet starter, ramrod all together.....you cannot use sabot bullet with it and no pellets...just loose power...

After reading the article twice....and thinking to myself that I saw one of these at the range last year...this is made for a break down type barrel only.....and you might have to get higher rings just to see over the Max 50....

But if my memory serves me right, this guy took his off the end of his barrel....and still could not get the groups he wanted to.....even at 50 yards...after reading the article, it is imperative that you follow the manufacturer instructions when you are shooting the Max 50.....

I stand corrected and I apologize to the guy who was shooting the muzzle loader suppressor with the Max 50 connected to the end of it......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 07:15:57 PM »
Bo, do you have a link for that article?

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 03:49:28 AM »
https://silencerco.com/maxim50/

Yari - Try this one!! Let me know what you think....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 04:44:33 PM »
yikes!!! at 7 1/2 lbs. you better start hitting the weights
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 07:20:15 PM »
I dunno guys.  Everyone has their own threshold for cost vs. value, risk vs. reward, etc but for me I don't find this too exciting.  Seems like the balance would be weird (yeah, I should hold one before I say that), reloading would be challenging in a hunting situation, heavy, problematic scope mounting (?), cost, cleaning the deposits out of the suppressor, etc.    But heck I never used to think I'd want a 1911 or an AR and now I love both.  Keep us posted if any of you guys try one out.

I have not yet tried the Blackhorn 209 powder - is that the main reason the smoke is reduced?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 05:58:30 AM »
Mad - Like you, I have a ton of questions about it....I dunno know and like you, I love my 1911 and my AR's, both are in 10th or 11th generation?? But the Max 50 is in its first?? maybe the offer a screw end version a much smaller in size?? maybe we will have to get out muzzle loader barrels end threaded, only time will tell....

I like my blackhorn 209, it is more efficient than Triple 7. I have to reduced my loads with BH209. The velocity is almost equal toe the Triple 7 with the edge going to BH209 by say with 50 fps faster consistantly....but both clean up very easy. I have not tried BH209 is all of my Muzzle loaders....I still use Triple 7 in three of the five inline ML. Own two sidelocks (one 45 and one 50) that I don't use anymore...had not shot either one of them in about 20 years, but their barrels are full of bore butter (so are the rest of the ML's)......

But is this Tennis Ball size can worth the 1000 that you pay for it....I would have to say no for now, but later on it might be....     
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad