New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: something new- UPDATED  (Read 244 times)

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
something new- UPDATED
« on: September 16, 2017, 01:43:22 PM »
i always like to try new things. today i put up bow hangers, safety straps and cleared lanes. i'm behind, but it's been 10 degrees about normal and humid. it's not good IMO, even though my season started today, i heard a rifle shot last night, so i'm betting someone started early and will call it in as a bow kill. man i hate poachers!!!!!!!!!!

so my folks place has no food or water. i did a poor mans plot that appears to be coming in. i'm not sure if it's rye or weeds coming up. today i cut up my old water softener. i used the base and the top. i buried them by 2 stands and filled them w/ water. one holds 9 gallons and the other holds 5 gallons. i'm sure the coons will have a field day, but i think the deer will like it to. i'll let you know

anyone else done this? i have to believe during the rut it will be a favorite place in the middle of the day
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:55:13 PM by yari »
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: something new
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 03:13:41 PM »
Haven't tried that Yari, but now that I have my pond at the house back to where it holds water, I'm seeing quite a lot of sign out on the south end (away from the house).  It's been really dry here for the last two months aside from one week when we had a couple of nice showers.  The creeks are mostly dried up in the area.  I think it's probably a worthwhile effort - will be interested to hear how that works out - did you put a camera on either one?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online yari

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 04:12:08 PM »
mad- i don't have cams on either. they are both next to some 'mineral blocks'. i tried some compressed molasses, grain and apple scented blocks. the blocks are north of the stands and the water is south. the blocks have cams on them. everything seems to eat on them. they are +20% protein so they have good nutritional value.

the neighbors dogs need to go. the beagle must be gone and they replaced it w/ another poodle looking thing. one peed on my block. i'll have to stop by and warn them. i've had problems w/ them every year. i don't shoot dogs because it's the owners fault, not the dogs.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online yari

Re: something new- UPDATED
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 02:51:39 PM »
i always like to try new things. today i put up bow hangers, safety straps and cleared lanes. i'm behind, but it's been 10 degrees about normal and humid. it's not good IMO, even though my season started today, i heard a rifle shot last night, so i'm betting someone started early and will call it in as a bow kill. man i hate poachers!!!!!!!!!!

so my folks place has no food or water. i did a poor mans plot that appears to be coming in. i'm not sure if it's rye or weeds coming up. today i cut up my old water softener. i used the base and the top. i buried them by 2 stands and filled them w/ water. one holds 9 gallons and the other holds 5 gallons. i'm sure the coons will have a field day, but i think the deer will like it to. i'll let you know

anyone else done this? i have to believe during the rut it will be a favorite place in the middle of the day
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online yari

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 02:54:54 PM »
I have to say the deer really used this tank. once they got use to it, they were drinking 6 gallons a week. i will definitely do it again next year. i may have to go bigger so i don't need to refill it as often
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 04:55:59 PM »
Yup if you can give them a place to get water they be there along with the rest of the forest animals . ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »
I've always thought about doing this, I thought maybe have like a reservoir tank up higher on the hill away from it, run a garden hose down to it on a float that way I wouldn't have to go in so much, its like everything else though, never enough time.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

New Page 3

Google Ad