New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hurricane Irma and Camp  (Read 4088 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Hurricane Irma and Camp
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2017, 08:35:06 AM »
More Pictures

First picture - The Power Auger we rented
Second Picture - Split Toe and 78 year old Richard (Vietnam Vet) cutting tin
Third picture - Back Side Framed in....
Forth picture - Need Tin to complete

From where we started to now, it is another world.....took plenty more pictures.....just the ones that show progress are shown...many more taken.....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:36:57 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2017, 06:24:36 AM »
Got a text message from Split Toe saying the Camper Roof Rebuild is complete!!!.....I have a box of almost new flashing, 30" wide X 20 ft long if we need it I could bring down....

Total cost around $1000! but it is done right this time.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2017, 10:43:38 AM »
Great looking work!! Glad to hear it's done.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2017, 10:54:04 AM »
Now that's a great bunch of friends right there, looking out for each other. They did a great job.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline yari

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2017, 04:32:22 PM »
nice work. looks great. congrats
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2017, 02:58:01 PM »
Forgot to mention that Deerhead Camper roof got hammered this spring during the tornado season we have down there....he had to rebuild it too....so it has been an interesting year down at the leased land down in Georgia....with the Damage to Deerhead's camper roof, and to the Archery Target Stand, and Deerhead is our No 1 archer in our club and at Summerblast 2015 (just ask Hunt Master and Bug Fixer) he had a very nice target stand that got wiped out by Irma as well...sent crashing and in pieces to the
ground.....as well as Irma damage to Jap51 and my campers it has been a challenging year and will be from now till the end of the season.....What can even the scales is that three or four big deer be taken this year!!!

Bo

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2017, 10:27:18 PM »
Here is a couple of pictures taken during out hunt week.....The camper roof was great. Weather was nice and the Bucks were chasing the does, saw deer almost every day...It did rain on us for one full day but all in all it turned out to be a great two weeks of hunting there were two 8 pointers taken and the food thanks to Chef Split Toe was really good. We had a decent crowd there. We missed Gutshot and Dutch....

Guys due to the knee I am limited to my ground blind this year. But did manage to climb one ladder stand while I was down there. Saw two small bucks that morning.....climbing down proved to be a challenge, so I decided that this was the year of the ground blind.

But I had my chance at a big deer!!! Here is the story.....

On Sat 11-4-2017, the day started off on it normal routine, get up, get dressed, stagger into the Cook Shack for coffee and wake up....about 6:30 AM we all scatter to all parts of the hunt club land.....about 8 AM a young 8 point buck was about 30 ft from my blind...you could tell something was on his mind. He never looked once at the blind...I had the scope on him about 40 yards from the blind, he cross the creek and then stopped for a second to smell the air...I thought to myself he was too young to take...humm...did I make a mistake?? so I grunted him back to within 75 yards and glassed him over one more time..yep he was to young to take, but next year he should be a nice one to harvest...then he trotted off down the hill never to be seen again....I was still thinking about him when two does appeared to my right, they were headed in the same direction as the buck....Then within a few minutes a very young 3 or 4 pointer came slowly walking down the hill towards the creek bottom....he had a nice body but let him walk to grow to be a bigger deer....had my mind on him when a single doe appeared to my right and it was headed into the brush on the opposite side of the creek...she also disappeared into the brush...All of this action took only 15 minutes! The action started at 8 AM and it was over at 8:15 AM....so I thought!

About 9:05 AM two deer came running out from a food plot about 100 yards away...the first one was a doe and the second one was a monster buck...a good massive 8 pointer....they came out of the brush, without a sound, he was right behind her but did not grunt!! She went down to the creek bottom and the instantly turned around and headed back into the brush....I had the rifle on him for a split second but did not shoot, my mistake....then both of them were gone in a instant I picked up my binos and followed their legs into the brush, all the time they kept moving away from me....so I got out my grunt call and can, I would roll the can and let out a few grunt calls...nothing....in about 10 minutes saw these legs came walking angling towards me...don't tell me he was going to give me another chance...when he turned and came directly down the hill towards me. At the bottom of the hill he was making his turn to give me a broad side shot but there was tree limbs and branches in the way...it was now or never...I tried to put the sights on the lung area and squeezed off the shot!! He did a high leg kick and ran off with tail tucked.....did not hear him crash....30 minutes later got and started the search.....could not find any blood or hair...texted Barry and told him what happen and he headed my way...we both started looking for blood, no luck....how could I miss at such close range, the thoughts were building in my head! so an hour later Barry found blood 4 or 5 drops and then found more......time to back out and call in the tracking dogs...this one was a nice one and did not want to loose him....call the number listed in GON (Georgia Outdoor News) he said he would be there soon...he finally showed up around 5 PM that evening.....the day dragged on and on.....but we got started and at dark, Barry found some more blood...and then we got the dogs on the deer tail, figuring the deer would be laying in the brush...boy was I wrong!! The deer had been hit but the wound was superficial...figure I got him in the tenderloin region and clean pass through using VLD bullets and the deer was just fine. The dog kept jumping him over and over again, no he did not lay down. There was not signs of that any...we called off the search at 9 PM and went to pick the handler, dog and Barry about 5 miles from where we first jump him.....so I felt better about the deer, he was a still alive and moving without any problems....we got back at camp and had a number of guys come up and say they were sorry that we did not recover the deer....I told them the story and they all agreed that the buck was still alive and chasing does...but it was a very long day!! 

Did the Berger VLD bullet hit a small limb and fragmented?? Not sure, but will never know!! Deer never laid down, we and the dogs did not find where the deer had laid down at!!

On Nov 11th saw 4 deer that morning and then saw another big deer at 10:55 AM...holy cow it had long straight tines and down from my right hand side about 80 yards away...he turn to the right and walked with his head held high smelling for does and walked into the brush...grab my rifle and got ready...all I could see was legs walking, tried my best to grunt him back in and roll the can to try and persuade him to turn and head my way, no luck..so at least there is another big one in the area.....

I had my chance but.....Bo

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2017, 03:30:01 PM »
sorry to hear about your buck. hopefully he will recover and be bigger next year
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2017, 08:03:34 AM »
Yari - Me too!!!

As I prepare to head South on the 26th of this month, I have been doing a lot of thinking about the club members and all the help they all of them threw in on the camper roof rebuild....I am blessed to be in a club whose members care so much.....it has been quiet the year this year......and expensive!! Purchase three rifles (6.5 CM is a Savage, Colt-Cooper 308 and a 26 Nosler (plus scopes for them suckers) this year plus 2 Shield 9mm plus tons of extra magazines.....and then IRMA came roaring through middle GA ripping a bunch of campers roofs off....Jap51, Deerhead and mine camper roofs had to be rebuilt or repaired. The materials alone for my camper roof rebuild was around $1100....and during spring turkey season this year, hobbling around and could not chase those crazy birds. Watch as two gobblers walked past me at 90 yards down to another set of hunters who bagged both of them....and knowing what was coming next. Had the left knee replaced on June 1st and still today trying to recover from the surgery....The knee is getting stronger so is the rest of my body.....at first the first three months after surgery had to be careful and my walks were short and could not stand very long either....even as the guys in the club rebuilt my roof, had to sit down most of the time and just watch....today am walking every day and the knee is getting better.....but Dutch's and Jap51 are having problems of their own and Flint don't know about both of your knees.....

All in all am thankful that Split Toe allowed me to joined the club many years ago and every year that goes by I am glad to be in the club...since I don't have any family (that I know of...LOL...) those guys down in the club has become my family....and for all the folks on TH I have another family.....thanks to everyone of you for contributing to the family....

It will be a Merry Christmas this year despite that I had my chance at a big deer........
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad