New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hurricane Irma and Camp  (Read 4086 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Hurricane Irma and Camp
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2017, 08:40:02 PM »
Holy Cow - Metalman is a tree trimmer, metal fabricator extraordinaire, demolition guy, construction guy, and videographer?  That's amazing stuff there!

At least it looks like you guys can re-use the majority of your roof tin.  The termites might be worse than Irma on the wood though judging by that one shot at about 9 minutes into MM's video.

Hang in there guys, and be safe.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2017, 08:12:38 PM »
Making progress for BoBalistic, Splittoe and myself got to camp about 8:00am this morning, we had to stop for a tenderloin cheese biscuit on the way to camp. We removed the remaining tin,  dismantled the old wood frame, repaired the camper skin that popped out then tarted the majority of the roof until we can get the cover built back. Then we moved onto removing a real bad leaner tree that would have taken out the little cabin in the former woods. Had to break out my climbing gear and run up the tree to tie off a pull rope then set up the rigging to put tension on the tree then we took it out.

Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2017, 02:10:43 PM »
Metalman and Split Toe, cannot every thank you enough for your effort!!! A bunch of dinners are on me.....yawl did a great job in removing the whole structure and roof...that is amazing....I'm shacking my head as I write this....

When I get down there we will go after some new material at Lowe's or HD in Macon.....for starters and go out to eat....Wow Split Toe and Deerhead are getting a rifle when I they plant me so I will leave you one also....be good, see you guys sooner rather than later....

Bo

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2017, 01:45:13 PM »
nice work guys

i want to hear more about the tenderloin cheese biscuit. sounds incredible
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Jap51

• Button Buck
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2017, 05:57:40 PM »
Thanks Guys...the knee feels good right now. Spent the weekend down at camp with SplitToe, Metalman, and Cobbguy and we had a good time just hanging out. SplitToe and Cobbguy hunted a few hr on Saturday morning and did see some deer. The camper is back together and looks as good as new thanks to all the hard work the boys did, now it's time to concentrate on BoBallistic's camper. It will take some work but I know it will get done. Can't wait to see ya Gutshot and yes we do have a bed for you. We need Dr. Drip to show up this year we could use some rain. Good Luck to all this year......
Butts County Sportsmen's Club Member
NWTF Member

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2017, 06:19:32 PM »
If you could get the good Doctor to pass through the Peoria area on his way down to see y'all I'd appreciate it, we're crazy dry here too.

Glad to hear the knee isn't keeping you down Jap51, with Bo already gimped up you guys are at your quota for bad knees at the camp, gotta stay healthy.
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2017, 07:35:18 PM »
nice work guys

Yari...we have a little gas station on the way to camp from our house that have homemade breakfast and lunch. They have a great homemade Cathead biscuit (southern biscuit). Metalman love's the pork tenderloin and cheese while I have country ham, egg and cheese. I'll have me another on the way to camp Friday. They are devine... ##$%#111
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2017, 12:57:02 PM »
nice work guys

Yari...we have a little gas station on the way to camp from our house that have homemade breakfast and lunch. They have a great homemade Cathead biscuit (southern biscuit). Metalman love's the pork tenderloin and cheese while I have country ham, egg and cheese. I'll have me another on the way to camp Friday. They are devine... ##$%#111

some of those hole in the wall places are great. they are tough to find though. enjoy every bite
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2017, 06:54:53 PM »
Agree with Yari, there's a lot of fine little places across the country that never get much press but are wonderful eateries.  We maybe need to start up a TH directory of our favorite little mom & pop restaurants.

We were down in TX a couple of years ago for a family vacation, driving back up to San Antonio after a day or two in Corpus Christi and found this little BBQ shack (shack is not an exaggeration) - I couldn't resist, although my wife refused to order anything in there except a bottle of water - oh my goodness that was incredible.  But this dummy failed to mark it on my map or take a picture of the place, have no idea what it was called - was about an hour south of San Antonio just off the interstate - will have to get back down there & see if I can find it again.  Generally I mark those down on my phone app.
and enjoy it!

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2017, 08:30:02 AM »
Thanks Guys...the knee feels good right now. Spent the weekend down at camp with SplitToe, Metalman, and Cobbguy and we had a good time just hanging out. SplitToe and Cobbguy hunted a few hr on Saturday morning and did see some deer. The camper is back together and looks as good as new thanks to all the hard work the boys did, now it's time to concentrate on BoBallistic's camper. It will take some work but I know it will get done. Can't wait to see ya Gutshot and yes we do have a bed for you. We need Dr. Drip to show up this year we could use some rain. Good Luck to all this year......
Hi Jap, glad to see you got the shed fixed up, I'm looking forward to making the trip and seeing everyone again. We could use Dr. Drip at our place for a day or two, there has been a shortage of rain here too. The leaves are falling off the trees without changing colors, just dried up turned brown and falling off. See you'll soon.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Jap51

• Button Buck
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2017, 04:42:26 PM »
Gutshot it will be here before you know it....SplitToe and I went down to camp this morning to zero in a few guns had a good time......... can't wait to get the smoke pole out, it starts a week from tomorrow for us here in GA.  --09--0 --09--0
Butts County Sportsmen's Club Member
NWTF Member

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2017, 07:10:35 AM »
Tuesday starts the long 5 hours trip down with a full truck of "stuff" for the season...did a last minute supply run yesterday at Sam's and started packing the truck, Mrs Boballistic hates this time because of all the little piles stacked her and there....The first thing to do after I get down there is to go inside the camper and get things straighten up and off the bed and the floor, Will not take any archery equipment down with me, will take plenty of cash with me for the supplies for the roof rebuild...will take plenty of pictures of the rebuild process....Again thank you Metalman and Split Toe enough for all they do....Wednesday we will meet and go over the supply list figuring what we need and go early to get the materiels then start the process....

Will however try to do a little muzzle loader hunting (Starts on Saturday) and put out some blinds....just a little bit of hunting to try and get into the spirit of the season.....will hunt in the mornings and evenings and work on the roof in between....taking down the CVA Accura II and the T/C Omega both are 50 calibers....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2017, 06:16:10 AM »
After all that has happen to all of us in the hunt club, today starts the 2017 campaign for the deer season. Within a couple hours, I will be headed South to begin what will be a rebuilding the roof on the camper, cleaning up the inside of the camper, getting ready a place to lay down, putting out blinds at various locations. I am ready to go as far as firearms go. Am not taking down the Archery Equipment (might at the very last minute, have room in the truck for it) and will focus on cleaning up the camper and getting materials for the rebuild...

Hopefully but the end of this weekend we will be able to see the structure up and ready for the tin roof....keep your finger crossed...since last season have a new knee (TKR - Total Knee Replacement) and now have a bum left shoulder. It maybe slowly getting better, another older and wiser I hope....Will take lots of pictures this year of the older gang...LOL...and try and get good group shot on opening day....

I can tell this morning that the best half of my marriage is antsy and is nervous for me. Bless her heart, she is trying her best not to show that she will miss me and I will surely miss her. She wants to help but you can tell in her voice and responses she is really concern for me this year, especially since my new knee, the SI Joint acting up and the bum left shoulder...she is definitely the best half!!! Most of you guys know what I mean.....

So the journey begins for 2017, to start with its is going to be hot and muggy, misquotes and nats are everywhere. It's going to rain the next few days on and off which will halt most of the rebuild on the roof when it does, but it will be good to get going on this season...will be glad to see the old gang..... 

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2017, 03:06:11 PM »
good luck to the new 'robo-bo'. we will have to call you the bionic man pretty soon
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2017, 08:23:52 AM »
We may be a bunch of Gray Hair (and no hairs) guys but can we build or what. Got down there and it was hot, very hot....and so on Thursday the 12th, we went to get the materials!!! Wholly Cow was it expensive, first run was right at $650 and next had to get the power auger for $100 a day, then a second run of materials for another $150 and this week Split Toe and Jap51 will stop by and get the tin to finish off the roof!!!

These guys did some amazing work.....Metalman, Split Toe, Jap51, and non members Sonny, Richard and Jay Coleman did most of the work!!! They worked their tails off in high heat and humidity....we all except Jay are in their 60+ range, but yet here they were on 8 ft ladders, up and down, bad knees and all. Hour after hour they work and work sweating their tails off!!! As of yesterday morning, I would say that it is 75% complete! With tin on the ground and at the store, all it is going to take according to Split Toe is a few short hours and they will be complete.

It was funny....Metalman and Sonny had the rebuild plans in their heads and it was fun for the rest of us to figure out what they were talking about....it was a show for sure. Both of the guys wanted to do it right! You can look at the construction and tell that, but there were no plans drawn up, just in each other head...LOL...it was funny just to listen and watch them joust back and forth.....just planting the first post took the longest! Would have to say that the roof is probably 3 or 4 times stronger than it was before....it is really built.....

Metalman is head down there tomorrow to make sure his rifles are sighted in for the season and to make sure the new to him 308 that he has worked on is up to the test. Split Toe and Jap51 is headed down there to hunt Wed, Thur and Friday with their muzzle loaders and I bet the roof rebuild will be finished before I get down there...but guys please be careful!!! it is that last board that could cost you and you guys want to hunt the season....

I cannot thank the guys enough for all the hard work they had contributed to the roof rebuild.....I am impress with them especially Sonny and Metalman, both guys are very  smart.

Enclosed are 8 pictures of the roof rebuild over the last could of days.....we did have an accident, when Jap51 cut his thumb on the tin! It happen so fast and since we all take a baby aspirin in the morning, he naturally bleed like a stuck pig....but thanks to Superglue, we sealed it up and he was back in action before the day was over. That is when 20 something Jay Coleman jumped into action and help finished up the framing and the remainder of the tin...thanks Jay.....

I'm glad it has finally cooled off here in the south now, finally!!! and we can go some meaningful work again...it is time to hunt now!!!

First picture - Is of Split Toe, Metalman, Japster51, Sonny and Richard discussing where to put the first post....
Second picture - Split Toe and Metalman laying out the rest of the post
Third picture - Front side of camper framed in.....
Forth picture - Front side just about complete
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad