New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hurricane Irma and Camp  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
Re: Hurricane Irma and Camp
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 12:55:11 PM »
Looks like you got a mess to clean up
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 08:04:56 PM »
Gut - Thanks for the offer, it is a long way for you to get down there...stay at home until late Oct and then head south.....I have three Honda Generators and between all of us at camp with all have power tools....

This weekend may make the trip down just to get an idea of what I need to do and start the demolition and see what I can salvage...coming down with Sinus infection, I can feel it coming on...was in bed for 15 hours yesterday, man I feel like crap.....so hopefully I can shake this and get to the range this week and begin working with the 26 Nosler and then pack up and head South...have already put the power tools, Hammer, nails. After I get back Thursday from the range, will put both fiberglass ladders in the truck, I need to clear a path so I can get in and out of the camper.....

Are you still coming down the hunt week this year ???......
Still planning on coming down but if there's work to be done then I'll put off hunting and help get the camp back in order. I appreciate the opportunity to come and hunt so it's my way to pay it back for the hospitality.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »
Flint you need to look closer I am wearing my bugs goggles, hard hat, safety belt tied into tree, and ladder is securely ties to tree at a safe level ain't my first rodeo, I've been cutting trees for 20+ years. Would of have used climbing spikes just didn't want to damage tree and my safety belt is not made to hang from a rope line.

Nice. My eyeballs missed that
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 11:28:25 AM »
Wow looks bad. Sorry guys looks like more work on top of what you've already put in but it sounds like you got the right guys to handle it. Just a shame it happen during hunting season. Stay safe and good luck getting it rebuilt.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 06:05:52 PM »
It's bad but I've seen worse...No damage to Bo's camper the roof took the brute of it. Jap's has a small hole in it no problem to patch. Got some of us headed down Thursday for the demo and rebuild. Nothing hurt but out feelings and this to shall pass...my glass is always half full... @--0--0105
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 08:05:08 AM »
Split - I'm glad to hear that it's not as bad as it looks, let me know what you might need from me. I'll do what I can.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 12:36:58 PM »
Glad to hear that it's not as bad as it looks. Still looks like quite a bit of work.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 01:35:58 PM »
Talk to Split Toe early this morning and he told me that a bunch of guys are going down to start on the repairs. First things first is to get Jap51 trailer fixed, sealed back up and the front porch fixed!!! Split Toe said that should take them a half day of work to get it fixed....Then they will start on mine.....I told Split that I wasn't feeling very well, trying to get over this Sinus Attack...even called off Range Time for tomorrow, not feeling well at all....hummm...But Split said that they are going to remove the tree and they will wait on Metalman to help them removed the tree from the camper. Then start demolition on the roof what is still standing....pictures to follow....I will be down on Oct 10 in the PM and will bring down plenty of cash with me for materials we will have to run to Macon to get from Home Dept or Lowes......

That is why this club is great and have great club members, everyone pitches in to help.......I will treat for many dinners while I am down there.....I think there is nice Mexican Restaurant in the same strip mall as Lowe's is in?? We go buy material and then stop by the Mexican place for dinner!!!

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 07:53:36 PM »
We had a work day today at camp, cleared trails of 5 downed trees, Metalman Outdoors Tree Removal crew removed  the tree off of BoBalistic camper that worked very well, finished removing tree from Jap51 and CobbGuys camper, and got the hole patched as well as roof framed on the community porch and evaluated BoBalistic camper to best and safest way to remove the damaged roof and frame. Still more trees to cu up and two that is going to require cutting down.
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 07:56:24 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline yari

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 09:45:17 PM »
nice work guys. i'd like to have a group like that at my place. not a lot of folks want to work together and have a great camp anymore. i applaud your group
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 10:28:13 PM »
Metalman - Thanks for the post....this gives me a better sense of the work you guys got done today!!! Glad to see Jap51 camper sealed up and ready to go for this year's season....great job by everyone. Thanks for the pictures of my old camper you posted as well. This gives me a better sense of what I need to do and coordinate with you and/or Split Toe about materials I need to bring down with me.  Will be in contract with either or both of you. Tomorrow is Saturday and it is time for Saturday Night Steaks after all the hard work in the heat of the summer, you guys deserve a good nights rest!!!

Oh yea, it deer season, anybody seen or shot any deer down there???

Thanks again.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 04:02:19 PM »
Just hanging out in trees today for the Queen of my doublewide. My honey do list just gets longer every time I check something off her list. She did buy me a new STIHL top handle tree saw she's talking about hiring me out again .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline yari

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 05:23:02 PM »
make sure she doesn't add to your life insurance policy @--0--0105
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 06:22:07 AM »
There is always something! - Just a quick update from Metalman and Split Toe, the two hits from Irma on our trailers/campers were from Jap51 and yours truly...well it turns out that Jap51 went down on a knee injury and will have to do some sort of scoping out the knee before he will be able to get around...he is hobbling around. Yesterday he had a Doc Visit and next week it MRI time and Doc Appt next Friday, but he will be very limited to what and were he can hunt for the up and coming season....I know the feeling all to well....it was 2012 and I got two nice deer...as always, the gang, club members came to the rescue and found and drugged out one deer for me....the other one fell in his tracks.....But Jap51 is one of the nicest guys you ever want to meet....he is a big guy and has a strong back and mind to go along with it...one heck of a guy, just like the rest of our guys in our hunt club...With all the logging going on around camp early this year, back then we kidded Jap51 about hunting off his porch....well be careful what you wish for, maybe he will be hunting from his front porch because of his knee injury....LOL...I call dibs on his ladder stand in the corner of the property where Jap51 sees more deer than anybody else in the club!! Great spot! Deerhead sees a ton of deer as well in his secret spots...

So this season will be a challenge for all of us in the club, dealing with the final logging of our land, Irma destruction, personal injuries, if we can endure and get through this season, the rest of them should be, I said should be OK....Metalman and Split Toe has a game plan for my camper......thanks again guys....as soon as they can clear the roof off I have several tarps we can cover the camper with and it will become livable...but it time to do some hunting guys....please, the rut will be here before you know it....We will get all the supplies to rebuild the roof the right way during and after the season is over!!!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad