New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hurricane Irma and Camp  (Read 4085 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Hurricane Irma and Camp
« on: September 16, 2017, 11:13:36 AM »
Got a call from Split Toe yesterday (9-15-2017) afternoon...he said that the camp was hit pretty darn bad with the winds from Hurricane Irma. He was telling me that it did not look good and described Jap51 and my trailer got the most damage...Both hit with trees limbs posing as Missiles when they got launched by the wind. Deerhead, Metalman's and Split Toe's campers are OK, made it through with little damage. Looks like Jap51 camper got breached by the tree limb and suffered water damage.....Cobb Guy and Jap51 share a camper together....

Right now I'm sure Split Toe and Cobbguy and who knows who else is down there probably Jap51 and Metalman. Jap51 use to be a part time contractor and can really build things. Some of the pictures he has shown us looks like a professional did the work...and You all know about metalman abilities...I am sure we will work our way through this event, but it changes everything about the season. Sure we will work then hunt some, but the cook shack is much more important place at camp, well maybe next to the Camp Crapper. That is a work or art within itself....but will wait to The minds of the camp to come up with a game plan and adjust our schedules around getting camp back into shape.

My camper/trailer roof got destroyed in the process. Will have to replace it completely, Split Toe told me that a few things fell but the camper did not get breached and there is not water damage....so when they come up with a game plan, I will adjust my schedule around the crew....we are all a bunch of retired guys and we are not who we used to be....We do have a few good backs and young bodies in the club.....

Attached are some pictures of the Jap Camper and and mine before and after....first picture (2760) is Jap51 camper....second picture is my camper taken back in July of this year. Third picture is of my Camper taken after Irma. As you can see we have our work cut out for us.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
Re: Hurricane Irma and Camp
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 11:46:06 AM »
I'm glad we took the dead trees down before the storm, the big tree we took down probably would have split your camper open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 12:38:09 PM »
good luck w/ the clean up. be careful getting the trees off. they are widow makers. i had a very large maple fall on my pole barn. they are a bugger to get off safely. don't be afraid to use some ropes to prevent a bad situation even if you don't think you need to. they twist in the craziest ways

be careful. we can replace buildings, but lives are more important
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 01:03:34 PM »
Really sorry to hear and see the damage. Hope you can get everything up and running soon and inexpensively! Be careful!!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »
What a mess. You boys have a lot of work ahead of you.

Good luck and be careful!! 
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 03:23:12 PM »
Boballistic I'm going down Friday we'll get that tree off the roof in no time. Then the rebuilding begins. Here's a little video to entertain you of the Metalman doing a little tree work today. https://youtu.be/5HqEgqLNswk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
i cringe when i see ladders and chainsaws. be safe
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 07:03:44 PM »
I can always load up tools instead of guns, to get you all up and running. Let me know what need to be done. Jap needs to get with it, that tree landed right on my bed  --7-8-9

I'm assuming the crapper faired the storm pretty well, I agree 100% on priorities: Cook shack, crapper then what ever else.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 07:19:49 PM »
Be careful! That ladder should be lashed. I don't see any safety belt/line on the person in the tree on the video.

In other words, falling from 25 feet for a 150 pound person:

Time to ground 1.28 seconds

In other words, it may take you longer to come too than the time that will be spent being knocked  out, assuming a non-fatal fall. Damage to other bodily components and results vary by  individual and outcome very t/b/d  --7-8-9
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
Hurricane Irma and Camp
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 08:26:19 PM »
Flint you need to look closer I am wearing my bugs goggles, hard hat, safety belt tied into tree, and ladder is securely ties to tree at a safe level ain't my first rodeo, I've been cutting trees for 20+ years. Would of have used climbing spikes just didn't want to damage tree and my safety belt is not made to hang from a rope line.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:26:42 PM by metalman »
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 07:18:37 AM »
Metalman - Thank you for your effort in keeping the camp going...yes thank goodness during work weekend you took some of those dead trees down....thank you - thank you....

I feel like by the end of the season, the camper will have a new roof on it....just got to be patience and work together on getting it fixed. But the first things first, we need to fix Jap51 Camper so he and Cobb Guy won't be sleeping in the water.....need to fix that breach first...think mine will be OK with a new roof on it....

Knowing the guys down there, they will probably clear off the tree, rip off the roof and start using what can be re-used.....so it will be plenty of fish house and Mexican dinners to be bought for the guys down there.....

Flint - That is a quick 1.28 seconds!!!

Gut - Will probably be going down this weekend for an assessment myself, it is a 5 hour drive one way for me...so I cannot just jump in my truck and head south and be there in an hour.....but that means it will be an extra trip down there for me.....maybe I should by a home down near the club, they have plenty of land for sale and put a double wide on it and call it home from Sept to Jan....the misses would not like that.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 07:35:14 AM »
Major bummer on the damage but looks like you re making a good start at putting it back together.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 08:27:21 AM »
Bo, I have a generator, a compressor, Air tools - framing nailer, finish nailer etc. Power tools, and such that I can haul with me if needed. Of course the labor comes with all.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 09:02:32 AM »
Gut - Thanks for the offer, it is a long way for you to get down there...stay at home until late Oct and then head south.....I have three Honda Generators and between all of us at camp with all have power tools....

This weekend may make the trip down just to get an idea of what I need to do and start the demolition and see what I can salvage...coming down with Sinus infection, I can feel it coming on...was in bed for 15 hours yesterday, man I feel like crap.....so hopefully I can shake this and get to the range this week and begin working with the 26 Nosler and then pack up and head South...have already put the power tools, Hammer, nails. After I get back Thursday from the range, will put both fiberglass ladders in the truck, I need to clear a path so I can get in and out of the camper.....

Are you still coming down the hunt week this year ???......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 11:50:03 AM »
Man I hate to see all that damage, but glad it's not y'alls primary residences!  Best of luck getting it cleaned up and be safe doing so.

New Page 3

Google Ad