New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Crossbows In Illinois  (Read 278 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
Crossbows In Illinois
« on: September 11, 2017, 07:34:01 PM »
Apparently Governor Rauner signed the bill into law today which allows Illinois hunters to use a crossbow for the full archery season regardless of age, medical status, etc.  This has been on his desk for over two months, glad he finally got it signed, but certainly there have been many other more pressing issues going on in this goofy state which required his attention.  The new law goes into effect for our October 1 opener.  We've had the ability to use a X-bow from early December onward for the last couple of years, this opens up the full season.  I'll probably use mine most of the time this year - have been making pretty good progress on my shoulder rehab from a pain and range of motion standpoint, but now I have some work to do in order to re-gain strength.  Might just stay on the ground this fall & use the new tool while I continue to work back up to "normal" (whatever that is).  I think it's a good law, but there have been some very vocal objections to it.  Most of the objections seem to focus on concerns that gun hunters and non-residents who don't want to put in the time to be proficient with a bow will be out there for three and a half months shooting all of the deer.   I don't know - I suppose some will, but there was lots of fear mongering about compound bows vs. traditional years ago, and that hasn't ruined things, so . . . ?

Now, if we could only get some suppressor legislation on his desk . . . .  One step at a time I suppose.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Crossbows In Illinois
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 08:24:54 PM »
WI did it a few years ago. if they practice, i have no problem. BUT, what i've seen is folks ordering their xbow and hunting immediately. heck i even heard of a guy that got to camp and didn't even know how to load his. then you have the bozo that thinks he can shoot deer at 100 yards

if common sense is used, i have no problem w/ xbows. but i think a lot of folks are using them as an excuse not to have to practice. that's a lot of what i've seen in WI. none of my buddies have converted unless it is a medical issue
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:15:08 AM »
I thought is was silly the way they originally did the late season thing. Glad they finally got it right.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Staff Writer
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 08:50:17 AM »
We got it here in MI a few years ago. Except late season in upper MI, they do not allow it during the late archery up there.

Everyone said it would be the end of archery in MI. Far from it.

We also got suppressors allowed for hunting a fews back as well.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 02:08:56 PM »
We have had it for several years now. I do 95% of my deer and turkey hunting with my crossbow. @--0--0118
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline MichiganLouie

• 14 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 05:02:32 PM »
I read somewhere that the use of crossbows allowed more women and children get into hunting.  That means more license sales and therefore more money for the state.  As they say, money talks. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 05:46:42 PM »
Like anything, there's good in it (making it possible for more people to participate) and bad (enabling some jerks to get out there & attempt to be William Tell at ridiculous distances or just being a slob and taking far more than their share of game.)  I don't think you can ever legislate your way out of selfishness and stupidity without the regs being so cumbersome that everyone gives up. 
and enjoy it!

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:56:07 AM »
Good law. We had the same fear here when we got it through here in Maryland all unfounded of course. The result is more dead deer and less wounded deer IMO. I also opened up bow season to a lot of folks who couldn't physically bow hunt with traditional equipment. Good luck.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point
    • NYFD
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »
We allowed CB's here a few years back. No negative impact on game taken ratios but nice to have a loaded CB vs. all the motiin invloved in using a compound.

I upgraded this year to Parker Concorde CB that works off Co2. Been practicing. Heavier than my other Parker CB but nice as I do not have to discharge a bolt or haul around a CB discharge bolt. Just unload the bolt , hit the button and it releases the CB string  quietly and without full discharge.   
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 12:29:11 PM »
Like anything, there's good in it (making it possible for more people to participate) and bad (enabling some jerks to get out there & attempt to be William Tell at ridiculous distances or just being a slob and taking far more than their share of game.)  I don't think you can ever legislate your way out of selfishness and stupidity without the regs being so cumbersome that everyone gives up.
[/quote
This is so true.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Staff Writer
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 12:59:14 PM »
Just as a side, there is a product called the Crossbow Diffuser that allows the string to be let down on most bows without the use of a discharge arrow. I have not used it but have been looking at it.

Two of the three bows I own are recurve style and can be let down with the cocking rope which is really convienient.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »
MI-B - that's interesting, hadn't heard of it before so went out to YouTube & checked it out.  Looks great, but they commented that it didn't work well on a reverse limb bow, which is what I have.  Will do a bit more research though, great concept.
and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season is coming
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 08:55:40 PM »
gee could we get that here in new York state soon
time to get ready for hunting season

dave 1211

Online Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 06:29:05 PM »
Crossbows have been legal in Georgia for several years. I shot compounds for years and switched over to a crossbow about 4 years ago. They are just like any other weapon as they have limitation. Just like a compound or rifle they require practice to become proficient with them. I limit myself to 40 yards just like I did with my compound. Would I try 50 yards...only in the perfect situation that would allow an ethical kill. Todays crossbows are extremely fast and accurate but like anything else a man or woman must know there limitations. As Dutch would say practice, practice, practice and get to know your equipment. Congrats to Illinois on a decision that will enhance to hunting experience that the whole family can enjoy.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 06:20:31 PM »
I'm here in Maryland with BlueToe. We've had legal crossbow hunting for everyone for quite some time. I switched to one last year and killed my first deer with it. If it keeps people in the woods and give more the opportunity to hunt the early season where otherwise they would not have, I say let's go for it! Even with a crossbow, you can still get the shakes and still miss.
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

New Page 3

Google Ad