New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: funny scope story- UPDATE  (Read 980 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
funny scope story- UPDATE
« on: September 06, 2017, 05:19:27 PM »
my buddy is going on his first elk hunt. he won a browning at DU years ago in .300 win. i told him what scope look at. i told him leo or votex, at least 3x9, and anything around $500 would be good. he's not a good shot. he's a total rookie at big game. he got invited on a hunt w/ a buddy to MT. ()*$%RT

he called today and said he bought a scope at cabelas. the only thing he asked for was a scope for "long range shooting", then he says he got a 18x50 leo VR6. i took a deep breath and said that would be nuts. at 18x minimum, that would eliminate any close shots. then i pulled up cabelas and looked it up. it's actually a 3-18x50 if i remember. i explained what the numbers meant --099-780

then i asked what made him spend $1600 on a scope. it's not at all like him to spend more. i fully expected him to buy a $200 scope. it turns his wife was along. she loves to spend money. the end result, he's got s great scope he needs to figure out how to use. i tried to explain the features and he didn't understand at all. i told him to read the manual a couple times @--0--0105
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:06:15 PM by yari »
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: funny scope story
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 06:26:23 PM »
Maybe you should have him call Bo so he can explain all of the intricate details of the optics to him. I'm sure that will work.  --099-780 --099-780 --099-780 --099-780 --099-780 --099-780 Come on Bo help the poor lad out, shouldn't take more than a couple minutes of your time.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:02:44 PM »
Yari, clearly he needs to take you along to MT so you can coach him through it all successfully.  After spending 1600 on a scope he can little afford to come home with an empty cooler, you owe it to your friend after all.  I'm sure Mrs Yari would agree!    --099-780
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 07:41:35 PM »
bo- i don't think bo has enough time to educate him. he's at ground zero

mad- you don't even want to know what he paid for the hunt and it's only 4-5 days. i'll go goose hunting in SK and deer hunting in SD and not even be close to 1/2 way to his cost. i told him he was crazy. the elk i've seen pics of aren't big enough to justify that cost. all raghorns

i hope he has a good trip. it's his first big game trip 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 07:01:47 AM »
Yari - Great scope story...very funny...yes that is almost at the top of the line Leupold...the Mark 8 has it beat in price....but that is a very scope...Wow...3-18X is amazing...tell him to keep it on 3X for now and then bump it up to 9X then 18X...Wow, nice scope...hopefully it will fit nicely on a the Browning 300 Win Mag...telling to use 180 Gn ammo in it and he will be a happy camper.....

I own just 4 of the VX6's all 2-12X, they will rival any scope on the market, including Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss.....

Good story, thanks for sharing.... 
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 08:44:45 AM »
BO- this guy shouldn't be shooting over 100 yards. the scope will give him the illusion he can shoot farther. way more than he needs. i've been trying to get him to back down on his expectations. like i said, he's missed deer at less than 100 yards
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 12:53:52 PM »
I don't know what to say except WOW!! Jumped right in blind!! Nice equipment for sure not knocking buying the best you can afford but wow. I wish him luck on his hunt and I hope he learns to listen better!! LOL!!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 08:42:52 PM »
Not sure what kind of recoil that guy is used to, but if he's not, I can only imagine how tough it will be to keep the reticle steady on max magnification after developing a flinch from being spanked a few times by the .300.   If you had a way to crank his scope down to the lowest power and lock up the adjustment ring and then get him to throw a limbsaver recoil pad on the rifle and double up on his hearing protection you might get him on paper at 100 yds Yari.   Good luck sir!!
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 01:14:02 PM »
Not sure what kind of recoil that guy is used to, but if he's not, I can only imagine how tough it will be to keep the reticle steady on max magnification after developing a flinch from being spanked a few times by the .300.   If you had a way to crank his scope down to the lowest power and lock up the adjustment ring and then get him to throw a limbsaver recoil pad on the rifle and double up on his hearing protection you might get him on paper at 100 yds Yari.   Good luck sir!!

all good points. i just hope he misses clean and doesn't wound a bunch of elk. i hope he surprises me, but i've known him for 20 years
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 10:11:40 AM »
Amen to that no wounding kill or miss clean

all good points. i just hope he misses clean and doesn't wound a bunch of elk. i hope he surprises me, but i've known him for 20 years
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline yari

Re: funny scope story- UPDATE
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 05:11:59 PM »
MIRACLES DO HAPPEN. i got an email from my buddy. today was his first day of his elk hunt. 8:15 this AM he whacked a 5x5 elk in MT. he made a 160 yard shot. he said it was "a little high". i don't know what that means, but i'm very happy for him. i had some doubts given his earlier mishaps. in other words, old yari is gladly eating crow

this might mean elk steaks for yari @--0--0131
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 07:50:49 PM »
I guess money is a substitute for practice  <runs and hides>     @--0--0102
Glad he connected.  Congrats to him!!!!
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 08:32:19 PM »
Ya shoulda told him that was beginner's luck!  The next one won't be that easy. Lol
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 08:55:57 PM »
Hope you get some of those steaks, I love elk meat.  Fill us in when you get to the facts.  Curious if it was an uninteded spine shot or something that required a long track.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »
Hope you get some of those steaks, I love elk meat.  Fill us in when you get to the facts.  Curious if it was an uninteded spine shot or something that required a long track.

it was a short track. died w/i sight

i got an email today. they are 3 for 5 right now. apparently they should be filled out. i don't know if they lost a couple or missed. he will get home thursday, but i'll be at the cabin. we won't talk for at least a week. it's hunting season and schedules are full. ##$%#117 ##$%#117
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad