New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: This Old Shotgun  (Read 488 times)

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
This Old Shotgun
« on: September 08, 2017, 03:05:02 PM »
BoBalistic started a thread for rifles so since my oldest gun is a shotgun thought I start another thread. I did some research and couldn't find a lot about the shotgun other than its a Belgian made Damascus barrel rabbit ears with the trade mark ELG in an oval under the barrel. It does have some other markings but I can't make them out with out removing the pivot pin. This was my grandads shotgun and I don't want to take a chance with it. It states Belgian laminated steel on top and something about choke on one barrel. Looks like it was made in 1846 give or take.
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: This Old Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 07:45:53 PM »
I have what I believe to be a Stevens model 106 single shot 12 ga.  Parts and info about them are just about impossible to find.  When you shoot it, the action opens up on you, so I think it needs a new spring.   Possibly the connecting rod between the release lever and the locking lug should be replaced, too.  It would be nice to be able to make it serviceable again.  As far as age, I have no idea of its age.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 07:48:13 PM by MichiganLouie »
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 12:03:11 AM »
Thanks Louie for the info...

Metalman, looks like you have a bit of history on your hands...wow, that looks very old, maybe use in the Civil War or at least made to use in the Civil War, and with the Damascus Steel, think I would take it to Dave's Gun Room over in Norcross for an appraisal on it...I would do a thing to it except keep a good coat of oil on it and in a dry spot in your home...or maybe in your gun safe wrapped up...

If you and Louie can talk about it more viva PM, that would be good for you and the shotgun...

Steven was founded in 1865 in Mass.....and Belgian ELG markings with Damascus barrels were made between 1893 and 1920 and should have a Liege proof markings on it.... check out this site
http://www.shotguns.se/html/belgium.html....let us all know what you come up with....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 10:18:26 AM »
Metalman,
Here's another link, similar to Bo's which might help you gain a little info based on the style of the ELG proof mark plus other markings on the gun.  I was looking at a site yesterday to see if I could find anything on "King Arms" but didn't really come up with much.  Apparently back in the day there were many manufacturers of firearms in Belgium (sounds like my kind of place) that would put any name/brand on a gun if you wanted them to, even if you only wanted a dozen.  "Bo's Hardware Store" could get their brand on guns manufactured by these groups in Belgium if they wanted to (but we all know that wouldn't work out as a viable business venture, as Bo would only buy guns, and never be willing to sell one).   
--099-780

The ELG proof mark certainly points to Belgium.

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 10:31:25 AM »
Metalman:
Just came across a post from another forum in response to a question like yours back in 2009.  I did see the Eclipse name pop up in a couple of others - they were a gun manufacturer in Belgium that apparently did make & brand shotguns for others, and used that "Belgium Laminated Steel" stamping on their Damascus barreled shotguns.  Here's a clip from the reply to that question in 2009:

Top answer

It sounds like you might have an shotgun made by the Eclipse Gun Company in Belgium. They imported shotguns from 1871-about 1900 to a store called Folsoms. After the Folsoms store closed it's doors they continued to market other models of shotguns from 1905-1957. They were a pretty common shot gun at that time and there are still lots of them around. If you barrel is marked "Laminated Steel" it is one of the older ones. Unfortunately they are not worth all that much; depending on the condition, $140-$550.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 02:26:21 PM »
Thanks Mad for all your research and info...Great Job...sure someone would know what it was, when and put the time in to find out.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 05:40:06 PM »
The internet is a pretty powerful tool for figuring out obscure stuff.  Granted, there's a lot of misleading garbage out there too, but you can generally filter through that given enough time.

My story for the "This Old Shotgun" segment isn't all that old relative to Metalman's.  I have a Model 12 from the 1920's down in my safe that my grandfather bought new.  Dad handed it down to me back in the 80's.  Couldn't begin to tell you how many ducks and rabbits Dad took with it, and I took my own share of rabbits, squirrels, doves, and even my first two deer with it.  Still enjoy pulling that gun out on occasion & shooting a few rounds, it brings back a lot of fantastic memories.

Grandpa told me the story one time of when he bought that gun.  It was shipped in on the train, and he walked to the depot (a few miles) to pick it up.  He either bought a box of shells with it or brought some along, and when he was walking home with it he unboxed it & loaded it up, as he knew some of the ditches along the tracks held some puddle ducks.  Sure enough, he snuck up on one area & as he stood up over the weeds a couple of mallards took off, which he dropped.  When he got back home he had his new shotgun in one hand and dinner in the other, pretty pleased with both!
and enjoy it!

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 12:57:37 PM »
i love those old shotguns. you have a gem there. congrats
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 10:02:47 AM »
Nice old hammer gun Metal. I am with Bo oil it and admire it!! Whenever I see or hold an old gun I can't help wondering what it has been through what it has seen in all of it's years. Makes for some interesting day dreaming.  --099-780 enjoy it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:05:55 AM by BLUETOE »
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 06:28:17 AM »
Mad - I too have a Winchester Model 12, 12 Gauge made in 63, field grade, mod choke, no vent rib....I bought it sight unseen for, are you ready, $275....he wanted 350 and I was going to offer 250...so we settled on $275. He bought it to work the next day in to work wrapped in a blanket!!! this was about 82 or 83...wow over 30 years ago....he was getting rid of all his Dad's shotguns because he was getting remarried to a good looking woman at work who was dead set again having any firearms in the house (wonder how that worked out). He was in his early 30's and she was about 24 or 25....

But when I unwrapped the Model 12 on my desk, it was just like it came out of the box, not a scratch on it, wood was perfect, bluing was 99%, he said that it was his Dad's and it was the last one to sell. I told him that I wish I had known, but I was in North Carolina working on a project and was in for a week because the plant had shutdown during Christmas and New Year's week...just happen to be in the office for that week....still have the Model 12, never fired it...that is the story behind one "This Old Gun" post....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad