New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Starting a new food plot within planted pines.  (Read 192 times)

Offline treefarmer

• 6 Point
Starting a new food plot within planted pines.
« on: August 28, 2017, 10:15:58 PM »
Been thinking about planting something in a wide row where a row of pines were removed in a pine plantation several years ago.  The area has been use as a road and a fire line for this particular small block of pines.  The dimension is 16' X 300' just a hair over 1/10 acre.  This will be the smallest food plot I've done in many years. The length is controlled by the location of the shooting house on the north side of a 2 acre plot, the other end is obscured by other trees in a different plot.
My intent is to plant Durana Clover, today I actually had a representative of Pennington Seed Company return a call!  I'm pleased with their prompt response!  I was not too pleased with the information the rep gave me.  Here's the deal, Durana thrives in shade but there is a very narrow window of planting time for our geographic location.  He said Durana will not do well if planted in soil that is too warm, so he suggests waiting till Oct.15-Nov.15 to plant.  In other words, this planting will be for next years, 2018-19 season.  (You have to start some time.)  He explained that most of the initial growth is in the establishing of the root system so it is unlikely there will be any deer forage this season.  I'll just have to fluff up part of the old original plot and plant something in a few weeks that will be a draw Bambi on Thanksgiving Day.
Last Saturday I ran the bush-hog 3 passes and had it mowed, then got the disk and ran it over 4 or 5 times and have a great looking seed bed.  Following instructions, it'll be at least 45 days till we can put some seed on the ground.
Getting older, this small plot idea really appeals to me. I can lime and fertilize small areas quite easily with out having to rent the big spreader buggies and all that goes with that.
I hope to update this plot on the forum as it progresses.  The old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" has always made sense to me. Pictures should show 1st pass with disk, then a prepared seed bed and the ol' shootin' house.
Treefarmer

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season is coming
Re: Starting a new food plot within planted pines.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:24:34 AM »
would thing something from whitetail institute of north america would work there
time to get ready for hunting season

dave 1211

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 12:07:22 PM »
Great idea can't wait to see the progress.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 01:26:15 PM »
That looks like a great spot. Be sure to take some pic's of the plots as it grows. I hope all your hard work pays off this fall.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline treefarmer

• 6 Point
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »
Just finished mowing the yard around noon and the 1st rain band from Harvey has moved into the Florida Panhandle. Boys, that has been some storm!  Pray for those folks that are facing such a mess.

I took dave 1211's thought and called Whitetail Institute.  Explained my project and the gentleman on the other end suggested 2 annual products would work, No-Plow and Secret Spot.  He said the Imperial Whitetail Clover will not perform well in the shade and wouldn't recommend it for planting in the pines. 

So it looks like I'm still going to focus on a perennial plot and so far Durana Clover seems to be the front runner.  A cereal grain will probably have to do along with what clover remains in the old plot for this season.

I'll do my best to show the progress.
Treefarmer

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 02:13:11 PM »
is it pretty sand soil? looks like it will be a good plot.

it's funny. i'm done w/ plots and you are being told to wait. no matter where we live, we all have our demons to deal with

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 03:13:11 PM »
Looks like your prep is good! Hope you find a good fit to draw  some deer into it!! @--0--0123
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »
Great idea , good luck . ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA

Online King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 7 Point
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »
Looking good treefarmer!

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 07:33:09 PM »
Any potential to seed some sort of annual & blend in your clover with it?  The annual would give you some good forage yet for this year & then your let the clover start establishing as the annual dies back, ready for next fall?  Keep in mind I'm a Midwest kid, I'm not sure how an "annual" behaves in the eternal warmth & humidity of FL. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline treefarmer

• 6 Point
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 11:42:04 AM »
Madgomer,
There is that possibility but it seems to me that there would be a great potential to damage the Durana Clover by too many little foot prints as they browsed the quick growing annuals.  Since the new plot is relatively small, I'm almost convienced to plant it as instructed and as I mentioned earlier fluff up something in the old plot to get their attention.  The old plot is about 2 acres and has been successful in the past.  Always has doe traffic most mornings and evenings and then when the rut starts most years it has paid off, in fact beginning in 2001, I've killed at least one buck in that patch each year since then. The 1st was a big 8 point prior to the rut in November, he had been in a bachelor group since July. The beauty of this to me is this is about 100 yards from our back door.  That year that buck was feeding on Imperial Whitetail clover that had been planted about 14 months earlier and I had just completed my shooting house a week or so before the season started. (note: the shooting house had been under construction for several months, so it wasn't an issue to the critters)
The picture is of that buck back in 2001.
Treefarmer

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 06:26:29 PM »
That's a stout looking Florida deer!  I have 4 different patches planted now, one is a perennial WTI imperial clover patch, one is WTI chicory, one is a bird blend (hoping to get some doves, quail, & maybe turkeys in) with sunflowers, millet, etc and the other is that fall annual blend I just planted.  Those four plots are all together out behind the house, 150-200 yards away.  Makes for good viewing from the house & I usually take a late season doe off of it during muzzleloader season, in total the area for those four plots is about 1.6 acres.  Having two different perennial varieties & two annual patches is working well for me. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad