New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: poor man's plots  (Read 565 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
poor man's plots
« on: August 23, 2017, 07:07:14 PM »
i did 2 poor man plots this year. one is a pseudo poor man plot at the cabin. i just cut the wheat field, fertilized and disced. the wheat was dry, so i figure it will reseed. kind of a poor mans plot

the other i finished today. my dad doesn't want me to put in a plot at his place. i figured what he doesn't know won't hurt him. he has 10-15 acres of 'bird sanctuary' to get a tax break. i cut trails through it to funnel deer my way. this is 6' tall and too thick to walk through. so i spread rye, fertilized it and cut the field in hopes the matt will act as seed cover. i only did 1/2 acre. you can't see it unless you actually walk to it. i doubt he will walk out the. if he does, you will hear down in TX.

IT'S EASIER TO ASK FORGIVENESS  THEN PERMISSION sometimes.   @--0--0117

i'll let you know how they turn out

'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: poor man's plots
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »
Good luck with both Yari.  I've had good results before by mowing & discing down standing (dry) wheat and having it come back pretty thick.  Wasn't doing it for a food plot at the time, just trying to maintain some erosion control on an area before we got the house started. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 02:46:22 PM »
Both plots should work great as long as the weather helps you out with some timely rains.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 03:11:58 PM »
Sounds good if Dad finds out go with the old birds eat Rye you were just helping keep them on the Sanctuary!!  --099-780
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:27:29 PM »
Sounds good if Dad finds out go with the old birds eat Rye you were just helping keep them on the Sanctuary!!  --099-780

i'm way ahead of you blue. that was my first thought to @--0--0105. i don't think he will muster the ambition  to walk out there. he hasn't the last 3 years. what a tangled web we weave just for a deer ##$%#117
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 01:02:03 PM »

i'm way ahead of you blue. that was my first thought to @--0--0105. i don't think he will muster the ambition  to walk out there. he hasn't the last 3 years. what a tangled web we weave just for a deer ##$%#117
If your luck is like mine he'll walk out there tomorrow!! LOL!!!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 02:21:38 PM »

If your luck is like mine he'll walk out there tomorrow!! LOL!!!!

Living on the EDGE!!!    -00-9

Good LUCK!     @--0--0101

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 01:55:20 PM »
my winter wheat plot at the cabin looks great. it couldn't be better. i had 2 1/2" of rain in the last 2 weeks, so that helped. i got another 1 1/4" saturday

my brassica plot is terrible and that is my most fertile field. it didn't germinate at all. less than 10% for sure. i'm guessing it was bad seed. i've never had any issues w/ brassicas. i planted radishes the same day and they are 12". something went bad 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad