New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Why I Don't care for Loggers  (Read 500 times)

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
Why I Don't care for Loggers
« on: August 05, 2017, 09:41:32 PM »
Well for the third year in a row loggers are logging our lease right in the middle of deer season and they always leave a mess. Not to mention the heavy equipment and trucks have really torn our ATV trails up blocked by debris limbs and even trees they didn't won't and roads to the point there so muddy we can barely get on the property.
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
Re: Why I Don't care for Loggers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 05:10:34 AM »
It leaves a mess and creates lots of extra work for you guys.  Best of luck getting everything in shape before season.

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 07:18:36 AM »
I've been on the same lease over 20 years.  We've endured many issues with the loggers over those years.  We endured an unscheduled retrieval of storm timber after a hurricane. We had clear cuts happen around some food plots that changed everything.  We've endured the land being prepared for replanting in trees during hunting season. Tree planting always coincides with hunting season, it's a cool weather thing.  We've had locked climbing stands stolen by either outlaws or maybe even the logging crews.  We complained to the land owner in the beginning and were met by the response that there are other people, next in line, wanting to lease the property.  So we endure whatever comes our way.  After all it is some one else's property and they are making a living by growing timber. 

We learned to "go with the flow".  Members come and go, several of us have been in it from the beginning and hope to continue as long as we are able.  Many years ago this same land was open so to speak, anyone could hunt there, no permission needed.  Then the hunting clubs began to be popular and that evolved into hunting lease and some time grazing rights (cattle) being negotiated with the land owners.  Lots of land is owned by big insurance companies out of state and they squeeze every dime from the property, growing timber, getting a green belt tax exemption and leasing to hunting clubs.  Over the years I been in several different leases and so far none of the lease agreements allow the hunting clubs any recourse of when and where the timber operations take place.  Being a small timber land owner my self, I completely understand both sides.  It is aggravating but after all it is some one's business.  Just my 2 cents worth.
Treefarmer

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 08:02:23 AM »
Metalman, Split Toe, Cobbguy, Deerhead, Jap51 and yours truly hunt on the same property...I must agree with Metalman, that the loggers could do a much better job in cleaning up after themselves..they just grab the meat of the tree and then leave the rest for us to clear....Later on this month, our annual work weekend which means that Split Toe will be down there a bunch I will come in on a Thursday night and stay through Sunday and then make the long 5 hr drive back to TN.

We have seen all the phases of the logging...finally they have started planting the small pine trees in the early spring. But the will log the trees, pile it up and let it set for a year, then burn it and cut a road around where they burn at, which is good or will be good, and then after it sets there another year, they will start planting pines very soon after they get through burning...Split Toe has stayed in contact with the loggers.....but their equipment is so big and powerful, that we have to use what we can in order to clean up there mess and make the road to camp passible, and get the camp back in shape. It will be a major undertaking this year...

Tree you are right, we have a great "core" group of guys who have learned to "go with the flow", to make due and keep hunting...Metalman actually I think it going to be our fourth year dealing with the aftermath of the loggers...but it seems not to bother the deer that much....

First is to get the food plots recovered from the loggers, we have lost one or two of them already, but we always find a way to put some new ones in...thanks to Split Toe and the Old Tractor and his attitude to go anywhere with that Tractor...he is amazing the places he gets into with it....This year we will be focusing on the camp, since the loggers last fall and winter cleared the land around the camp...during turkey season this spring, they really made a mess...But we have a great group of guys who are willing to work, especially Metalman, to get the camp back in shape. I plan on focusing on the food plots once again and drag them if necessary, you really do need a 450CC or larger to drag them, my little 350 Big Bear gets hot every now and then so I have to turn it off and let it cool down...This year with the trees on our west side gone, our campers will be subject to higher winds and higher temperatures..in August it will certainly be hot and humid...keep the fans going....

Thanks Tree for your thoughts and thank Metalman for comments.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »
i feel your pain. i still haven't got a road through my mess yet. w/ the rods still down, it won't get done this year either

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 08:10:37 PM »
Y'all might look for a bright side of the timber cutting, depending on the schedule of the forester.  They provide clear cuts that have great potential as all the new growth sprouts, same thing happens after a fire is used to clean up a cut over piece of land, more fresh vegetation.  If the timber operation was only to thin the timber there will be "logging decks" and in those areas will be an opportunity for another food plot or stand.  Our experience has been that the roads that are used by the log trucks can be maintained after they are done, skidder trails not so much.  But any place the dirt has been exposed and sunlight is now falling on it, there is a possible new food plot.  Any edges created by logging also provides opportunities for stands as deer notoriously will walk/travel edges.
It ain't all bad when your hunting world is turned upside down.  I must confess, it took me several years to come to grips with these facts.  We are creatures of habit and don't like change, especially when a stand is almost perfect!  I have a tall 4X4 stand, roof and windows, against a tall pine where I had killed around 40 deer over the years, a perfect set up.  The timber was cut, I could see much further, still killing deer.  Weeds grew then the timber company chopped and bedded it, then planted slash pines, still killing deer.  Then... the pines started to grow and they haven't stopped growing and you can't see squat!  The deer would have to be mighty close because of the trees and the mess that grows under and around them.  If the trees were older, we could control burn the under growth and improve the situation but as it is, we have to use portable stands in order to hunt the same area.  Since the old timber was cut the deer have changed their paths so improvisation is the answer.  Commercial timber land is always changing, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse.
Treefarmer

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 02:53:34 AM »
Tree farmer the only bright side we've seen out of this deal is the promise of a dollar per acre discount on the area they cut. The loggers have mutalated the land roads and each time they cut they wait until deer season starts and disrupt hunting season and narrow our available hunting land while they are there. I understand it's the landowners property and the logger is after every dollar but have a little stewardship and help the hunter out a little. Don't push all the rubbish to the side blocking known access trails just because it's convenient for the logger. I can show you four places in one area where the skidder operator pushed a major portion of tree debri into the creeks blocking the access as well as the creek flow. It's just unacceptable the way these loggers have operated in my opinion.
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 12:11:37 PM »
It is a mess for sure and I feel your pain but it sounds like you got some good guys that will get it back in shape. I agree the loggers could show a little more concern with the road sand creeks and some do but they are there to a job and they have no obligation to try and make it better tough situation all around. Good luck with all of your hard work fellas.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Online yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 05:32:51 PM »
OK. here's my 2 cents after dealing w/ loggers way too much. IT'S THE LAND OWNERS RESPONSIBILITY TO SET THE RULES. unless they get it in writing, they have no say as to how the land is treated and when they work.

let's go a step further. you as lessees should put it in you contract that no logging during hunting season and the roads need to be replaced to their original state. at this point, it's going to be hard for the owners to replace you w/ the land a mess. you do have leverage

good luck. i hope it all works out   
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 08:03:33 PM »
Very messy! Sorry to see you have to deal with that.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital