New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Suggestions for a scope please  (Read 849 times)

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Suggestions for a scope please
« on: July 26, 2017, 10:15:43 AM »
I'm looking to buy a new scope for my son's Marlin 30-30.  I can't spend the big bucks but refuse to buy cheap too.  Vortex, Nikon, etc.  but also need advice on power.  For the most part this gun will be used 100yds and in primarily for deer and hogs.  Looking to my TalkHunting family for a discussion and recommendations. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: Suggestions for a scope please
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 11:06:14 AM »
I like Bushnell. I have them on most of my rifles. Just stay away from the plastic packaged off the rack models and go for next tier. They usually start in the $120-150 range. You can probably find some Vortex or Nikon in the same price range.

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 01:55:39 PM »
I like Nikon or Bushnell. I just got a deal on Amozon on a Buckmasters 3x9x40 BDC long range scope for 99.00 but that may be over kill for a 100yd gun LOL!! You could put a Bushnell Slug scope on they are good out to 200 yds and  you can get 3x9 x40 or just s straight up 4 power and it will work well IMO. I check Amazon all the time and check Midway clearence rack you can find some good quality scopes for a cheap price.  ttps://www.midwayusa.com/product/698434/bushnell-banner-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-circle-x-reticle-realtree-ap-camo
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:00:53 PM by BLUETOE »
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »
bo usually has a good nose for deals if you aren't in a hurry. vortex has a lifetime guarantee. that' hard to beat
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 06:32:21 PM »
I put a Bushnell Bone Collector 2X7 on my smokepole a couple years ago. only about $130 if I recall?  Love the scope, and for that cal at that range, you really don't need much magnification - field of view will be more helpful to your son.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 09:02:09 PM »
Russ - Like most here, I agree that Bushnell Trophy is a good scope to put on a 30-30. The Nikon ProStaff, Vortex Crossfire II is a good one as well...how bought a Leupold VX-1 or a Konus or a Sightron or a Redfield, you need to shop around...you also might be thinking what power to get as well a simple 4X or a 2-7X or a 3-9X?

I am going to throw something out there - Ammo what ammo are you using or going to use?? A typical flat nose bullet of a Hornady LeveRevolution?? I still have many boxes of the flat nose ammo for all three 30-30's and one 35 Rem, but about 5 or 6 years ago when Hornady come out there LR ammo I bought some just out of curiosity and at the range was I surprised!!! The shot much smaller groups than the flat nose bullet. It was flatter and faster than the standard 30-30 round and that goes for the 35 Rem as well...Wow the groups went from about 3 inch groups down to 1 inch groups...the best these rifles have shot!!! So I have Tasco WCP Scopes 4X on two of the three 30-30 Win and on 4X mounted on the 35 Rem...to me this was a sleeper scope, and as good as any of my Leupold VX2 scopes, excellent scopes. Then within a couple of years Tasco went under!!!

Now my thinking is that normally your range on a 30-30 is about 125 yards, that is where the energy drops below a 1000 ft lbs of energy. So are you thinking that before a 2-7X would be good for the rifle that has a limit on it of 125 yds, but now if you use the Hornady LR ammo the energy goes way up and your range is about 187 yards (might as well say 200 yards) So a 3-9X maybe more appropriate for this type of ammo....so which one are you using or planning on using ??

So in my mind, I try to match up the scope power rating with the ammo being use and its effective range...maybe where you hunt a 4X is all you need or maybe you need to think about getting newer ammo and a good, but cheap scope....

Is it me or what, I am thinking that rifle scope, spotting scopes and binoculars and all optics are getting more and more expensive?? If you pay MSRP prices for it you are going to take one for the team!!

Let us all know what you end up with.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »
Nikon 2 to 7 power shotgun scope maybe something like that
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 07:59:14 PM »
Bo - I think the high end optics are getting more expensive over the years, some of that is just the steady march of inflation but a lot of it is simply that the high end of today is some pretty awesome stuff compared to what was the high end awesome stuff of 20 years ago.  I've never been a high end guy (too much of a tightwad), but it seems like the middle-tier stuff today is actually at a much better performance level than their predecessors, and for less coin.  Example:  I have a 3x9 Bushnell Elite that I put on my 7mm Mag about 25 years ago.  At that time it was by far the best scope I'd ever bought, and I still like it, but it can't match my recent Nikons that I got for 25-30% less in the last couple years.  If I put that Elite into today's dollars, that price gap is even greater.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 06:12:17 AM »
Mad - I agree with you completely, optics in general are getting better and better and cheaper and cheaper, until now...I have followed Vortex since their inception and watch their prices slowly go up...
I have a bunch of Leupold's and started buy them from back in the 70's when it was just the big two, Leupold and Redfield at that time these two were the only ones we could afford back then....its funny today that Leupold now owns Redfield...LOL...never hear of Zeiss until the early 80's and Swarovski came along about 10 years later...maybe there were out there all the time, it was just the Atlantic Ocean that keep us apart?? Had never heard of a 30mm tube before, Zeiss offered a 1" tube and the Conquest line priced at $400 each was the best value on the market in the late 90's and early 2000's...

But I have Leupold's on about everything for years and years...but also own a few each of Bushnell, Tasco, Bausch & Lomb and Simmons and still have them....still have a few Vortex that are not mounted yet...So if I were Russ, I would be looking at Bushnell, Nikon and Vortex and maybe Leupold...I would be scanning the Internet daily for deals on scopes as well....

I had my Tract Binos (10x42mm) at the range yesterday and for $674, they were amazing, almost as good as my EL's 10x32mm are...got the Leupold Acadia BX-2 in yesterday and will be giving them the once over shortly today....

Have knee therapy today and storms rolling in so will be a good day to do some gun cleaning and scope bore sighting and check out some guns that I need to check out....LOL...

Just trying to Help....Bo 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 06:20:06 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys.  Bo he's only 10 and currently shooting the reduced recoil Ammo. But I check out that Ammo for sure. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 08:04:08 PM »
Russ - OK good info to know...as he grows into the rifle someday soon you will switch over from managed recoil to regular full strength ammo....yea a cheap older Nikon or older Bushnell or Vortex Crossfire II would be a good choice in 2-7X ....good luck and wish him and you well this year to come.....sorry to get long winded but you get a peak into my mind...LOL...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 03:00:21 AM »
Russ - I have been comparing Nikon to Vortex and think that the Nikon is a slight bit cheaper...they have a Buckmaster II 3-9X x 40mm with BDC off of Amazon for under $103....this would be an excellent scope to sit on the Marlin 30-30....

I have two Tasco World Class Plus 3-9X x 40mm sitting on my two and on my Rem 788, 30-30 have a glossy Leupold 2-7X x 33mm sitting on top of that one...But have to hand it to Nikon for keeping their prices down but most of Prostaff and Buckmasters have a limited lifetime warranty....Vortex has a lifetime warranty on all of their scopes.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 07:34:04 AM »
Excellent.  Thanks Bo. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 12:12:33 PM »
Russ - Just thought I would mention that I just purchased a Nikon Buckmaster II 3-9X x 40mm from Amazon...LOL....going to throw it on the scope "pile" when it get here. I am thinking about replacing my early 70's Bausch & Lomb 4X with one of the three Vortex or maybe this Buckmaster....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 06:24:51 AM »
Russ - Was in my AR shop the other day and they had a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3-9X x 40 on Sale for $199 so I picked it up and brought it home with me...The 3-12X Tango Mounted on the 6.5 Creedmoor is a good clear scope...it is first plane focal which is good for the range, but not sure how good it will be in the woods, but so far so good with the scope...

Hate going into that AR shop that is very close to the house!! They want to quote me a custom build 26 Nosler...went in there for a sling swivel for the Savage 10BA Stealth and came out spending over $200 bucks...ouch...got to quit doing that...

Have not received the Nikon Buckmaster II scope yet, it has shipped....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad