New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: On Time feeder repair  (Read 710 times)

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
On Time feeder repair
« on: July 25, 2017, 11:11:01 AM »
I've been using On Time feeders for years.  They've proved to be very reliable.  Here's my predicament, a local hardware was doing warranty repairs on the On Time feeders and the store changed hands and they no longer do the repair work.
Have any of you fellers that use this brand, had any experiences or issues with sending the feeders back to the company in Louisiana?  Seems like they have a back log of work, several months to get to a repair.
It was my understanding that there were only a couple of places in the country that did repairs on the On Time brand.  We were lucky to be close to one for a long time, but things do change.
Any thoughts?
Treefarmer

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: On Time feeder repair
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »
sorry to hear that.

if it helps, i have a buddy that just bought automatic minnkota trolling motor. the kind that you push a button and it comes out of the water by itself. $2000 plus. after 2 weeks it wouldn't work. he call the place that installed it and they said they ONLY INSTALL THEM. THEY DON"T SERVICE THEM. he had to drive 60 miles to drop it off. 4 weeks later he's finally fishing again. that's 1/2 of the fishing season in WI

i know this is off point, but it hope it makes you feel better. service seems to be a thing of the past. i guess we all need to McGiver everything ourselves. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 07:04:49 PM »
Yari's suggestion is where I'm at - usually at a minimum I can diagnose the source of the problem even if I can't fix it or get a replacement part (but often get lucky and fix it as well - wife refers to me as a professional turd polisher).  Tree, I'm not familiar with that product, but are you able to do any basic troubleshooting to confirm whether the issue is with a little electronic control of some sort, or the motor itself?  If you can get that far with it you might be able to find a local shop which does that type of repair work, even if they've never heard of that brand of feeder.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:07:10 PM »
Madgomer,
They are really simple and well made, parts are available from several sources but this model has a lifetime warranty.  Warranty work at the hardware store was a flat fee of $5 for many years, then it went up to $10, still a good deal.   
Yari,
Now I'll be forced to send it back to the company, paying shipping both ways plus their fee to have them repaired, or on the other hand, having parts shipped and sometimes at ridiculously high prices and all that adds up. ##$%#1119 @--0--0117 Probably best to go with the company warranty policy and pay the shipping and fee.  I guess I was just spoiled having a warranty repair so close to home.
I highly recommend the On Time feeder, they make many different models.  The ones I have are the Classic Lifetime #11112.
My main concern is turn around time and the lady at the On Time office said there is at least two month turn around.
Thanks for the comments.
Treefarmer

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 07:15:43 AM »
Not to be negative, but if you had to keep taking the feeder back for warranty repair, maybe you should consider a different brand? A lifetime warranty isn't intended for "your" lifetime but the average life of the preferred product, with a few exceptions: anything with moving, mechanical parts (lifetime = 8-10 years). That's why manufacturers will often replace the product with a newer model after several years rather than repair it. Optics is a good example of this practice, scopes and bino's with minimal moving parts. More cost effective for the manufacturer. Their hope and expectation is that you will buy new replacement and discard the old and forget the warranty. Selling extended warranties is a money making marketing ploy to get more money out of the customers. Food for thought.  @--0--0101
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:08:47 AM »
Gutshot,
I've tried several different brands of feeders and these have been more reliable than the other brands.  You raise a good question about "life time warranty", what does it mean?  When I bought the On Time feeders, the old feller that was repairing them at the hardware store said, "As long as you own it, well take care of it."  That was 12 to 14 years ago and these same 3 feeders are still being used.  They have really proved themselves and I understand very well that anything mechanical will eventually wear out.  Any problem was taken care of at the local level so to speak.  As I said earlier, I've been spoiled by good local service.
When you consider how this particular feeder is put together, you realize it is not a throwaway, the sealed aluminum housing just sets it apart from the plastic cased ones I had bought earlier.
I guess I'm just bellyachin' 'cause things ain't like they used to be! ##$%#1119
Treefarmer

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 04:56:53 PM »
i hear you tree. nothing is the same. i think gut is being generous on to 8-10 year lifetime on parts. it seems they make everything as a throw away these days
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad