New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 6 1/2' king kutter disc- UPDATE  (Read 990 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: 6 1/2' king kutter disc- UPDATE
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 08:03:45 PM »
Have never seen rabbit/turtle used for anything but engine speed or ground speed - weird that they use it for hydraulics.

The deer here in IL don't pay much attention to the wheat once the heads are on it.  Winter wheat in fall (6" or less tall) is a good draw for them, but not so much later.  Mow down a mature wheat field though and you will see a lot of doves if you have them in the area - they'll pig out.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 08:40:20 PM »
Have never seen rabbit/turtle used for anything but engine speed or ground speed - weird that they use it for hydraulics.

The deer here in IL don't pay much attention to the wheat once the heads are on it.  Winter wheat in fall (6" or less tall) is a good draw for them, but not so much later.  Mow down a mature wheat field though and you will see a lot of doves if you have them in the area - they'll pig out.

that's why i didn't pay much attention. until now everything was good. now i need to adjust the rabbit. --099-780

maybe it's a northern thing on the wheat. i've mixed it w/ corn and they clean it up. it's probably an acquired taste. i've tried wheat and prefer it over dried corn. it's kinda nutty ##$%#16
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 11:37:38 AM »
Yeah, I certainly prefer to chew on wheat grains rather than dried corn too, but since I've never developed a taste for acorns, I gotta guess human tastebuds aren't similar to a deer's.   
 --099-780
and enjoy it!

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 02:24:36 PM »
Yari,
You can shorten the top link and probably get the disk to bite into the dirt a little more with the front sections of the disk.  When using only a disk to prepare soil for food plots it may take several trips depending on soil moisture and ground cover (the wheat and its' roots).  We set the front sections of the disk with the steepest setting, causing the disk blades to roll more soil.  On the first pass it probably would be good to put all the set in the back axles also.  One you get the soil loosened up you can allow the disk to ride more level to allow front and rear sections to work the soil into a good seed bed.
I've seen the Rabbit and Turtle symbol on different pieces of equipment and it always indicated fast or slow, ground speed or pto rpm.  It could refer to the rate the speed of the 3 point lift, how fast it comes up.  Most tractors have power up with lift and it goes down with gravity but the down speed is still regulated as the oil does what it does in the lift.
Treefarmer

Offline yari

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 06:49:03 PM »
come on mad. don't you sample what your feeding? i always give it a try. even w/ bear bait if it's not moldy --7-8-9. acorns are bitter. wheat is nutty. corn is nothing. chocolate brownies w/ peanut butter and MM"s are incredible --9-908. sorry bears

tree- my JD dealer said the rear 3 pt should go as fast as your power window. mine doesn't. hopefully this is the problem. if not, i will bring sand bags just in case

thx all   
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 09:28:13 PM »
About the only bait I ever tasted was the carp bait I used to mix up as a kid.  Been quite a few decades, but I think it was a half cup of flour, third cup of corn meal, and quarter cup of molasses.  Actually didn't taste too bad!  After a while I learned to also collect some cottonwood fluff & mix that in with it - really helped it stay on the hook better.  But I digress from the topic of discs and rabbits and turtles.

Yeah, that advice is reasonable on the speed.  My Kubota just has a twist knob on it to adjust the drop rate - - with my little spring toothed harrow I really need to open it up, but my disk & my flail mower weigh about 4X of that, so if I don't tighten her back down, they drop like a rock.  Certainly could be part of your issue.  Otherwise, like Tree suggests, play with the top link length (both directions) until it starts acting the way you want.  May need a different link setting when you're first breaking ground vs going over that broken ground later as well.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 09:34:39 PM »
you feed your carp very well. i'd make a meal out of that. it's not bear bait, but would do in a pinch

i'll let you know how it works. i'm not breaking new ground now, so it should cut like butter IMO. we'll see in 2 weeks
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 06:26:36 PM »
Yari,
Yesterday I was at a buddy's place and he has a fairly new John Deere.  I didn't pay any attention to the model number other than he said it was the largest of the compact JDs.  All that to say, there is a twist knob below the seat, center line of the tractor, that controls the speed of the lift.  It has the rabbit/turtle symbol as does the throttle lever.
Treefarmer

Offline yari

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 06:34:33 PM »
Yari,
Yesterday I was at a buddy's place and he has a fairly new John Deere.  I didn't pay any attention to the model number other than he said it was the largest of the compact JDs.  All that to say, there is a twist knob below the seat, center line of the tractor, that controls the speed of the lift.  It has the rabbit/turtle symbol as does the throttle lever.
Treefarmer

thx tree. i think i've seen it before, but didn't know what it did. you know: if it ain't broke, don't fix it motto.

i'll be up next weekend to try it out. i only have a .7 acre field left. it will be a good trial run. i also plan to bring up sand bags just in case.

thx again
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad