New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: A dirty request...  (Read 370 times)

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • 18 Point
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
A dirty request...
« on: July 16, 2017, 08:12:48 AM »
Got your attention, didnt I?

OK guys and gals, I need some ideas. As many of you know, I am building a cabin on our pond. However, I am still stuck on one important feature... the toilet.

The water table is too high for a conventional septic tank (or even an outhouse). Just not possible.  Even if it was legal, I wouldn't want to just let it run on the ground and that area floods every few years so I am worried about using a holding tank. plus a holding tank has to be emptied and that is probably an expensive option.

I looked at a composting toilet but they are complex to use and expensive....

Any ideas?
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline MichiganLouie

• 14 Point Double Droptine
Re: A dirty request...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »
It's simple.  Do what the bears do!   --099-780
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 08:34:38 AM »
i have the same issue at my place. i don't have electric and like you said, a poop burner would be expensive. mine is a little use outhouse. i do the same thing we do in the ice shack. i set up an outhouse w/ a 5 gallon pale and a plastic bag. it's only for #2. when needed, i get rig of the #2 bag.

when the wife comes up(not often) i have a different bucket w/ a seat on it for #1. they sell the seat covers all over

it's primitive, but it works. if you get a better idea i'm all ears
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Staff Writer
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 08:50:21 AM »
Short of going to a rented porta-jon or some type of fully enclosed system I think litterbox-bucket outhouse is going to be the most economical option.

Being in a flood zone makes most options pretty undesirable.

I'm just not aware of that many different options (which does not mean there aren't any out there)
NRA Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
WalleyeBlast 2016

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 12:12:50 PM »
Louie beat me to the obvious response!

HM - They sell portable holding tanks for RVs that allow you to drain your black water system into the tank, then wheel it down the road (or into your pickup) to be emptied at a dump station.  So perhaps if you rig up a RV style toilet with a 4" hose and gate valve going to the portable holding tank???  Next question would be, do you have a place to unload the holding tank?  Check out an RV supply store (Camping World, etc).
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 10:54:58 AM »
Madgomer probably has the right idea. A portable one on wheels. They are used around here at campground near water reservoirs. Pretty reasonably priced to.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • 18 Point
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 11:12:33 AM »
I have been looking at and researching the composting toilets - http://natureshead.net/ but havent made up my mind. Im worried that as much use as I am expecting between us and bugfixers family a holding tank that has to be dumped and hauled away will be a major pain. I am also looking at a gig holding thank that a septic company can come pump out but not sure how that will work if it floods.

The wife is not fond of the bucket idea.. LOL
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »
We dig a deep hole with a post hole digger and place a bedside toilet over the hole. Each time we go #2 we simply cover it up with some of the dirt from digging the hole. Works great.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline BLUETOE

• 14 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 01:36:58 PM »
My Aunt has a composting toilet in her pool house and iy works very well.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point
    • NYFD
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 04:39:07 PM »
A Turkey Mound is done a lot in PA if you can locate it where it would not be too obtrusive
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 10:01:36 AM »
When I owned a river cabin on the white river I was faced with the same flooding issue. I came up with a design of using 2- 55 gallon plastic drums.

See attached photo. I know its a crude drawing but you will get the idea.

Main drum is sort of like the main holding tank like in septics. Holds the major solids and allows it to be broken down with the water from each flush. Once the water level raises enough it moves to the second drum(transfer pipe must be lower than pipe from toilet.) which has holes drilled in it and allows it to be released into your gravel field.(hence cheap lateral system that will not be effected by high water. Each drum has about 4 inches of concrete or sakcrete in the bottom to keep them from raising during high water.

Things to think about.

When you have flood conditions you will not be using the cabin. No cabin use no toilet use.
Flooding is just mother natures way of giving your system a good flushing.

I installed my system about 15 yrs ago and recently talked to the owner of cabin now and they are still using my system.

Hope this helps.

Offline BubbaBrown

• Life is good at The Deer Camp!
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 09:16:19 AM »
I think the composting toilet is the best and most environmentally way to go, it has to have power so is that a problem? You could set up an outhouse for the dry season and limit the use of composting. I the old days when you used the outhouse, you would use the toilet and then cover with a scoop of garden lime. The lime help break down the waste and helped keep the smell down. All bet are off if you cook lots of beans at the camp!  --7-8-9
Semi-Retired & Over the Hill

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 08:08:03 PM »
I think the composting toilet is the best and most environmentally way to go, it has to have power so is that a problem? You could set up an outhouse for the dry season and limit the use of composting. I the old days when you used the outhouse, you would use the toilet and then cover with a scoop of garden lime. The lime help break down the waste and helped keep the smell down. All bet are off if you cook lots of beans at the camp!  --7-8-9
Safety rule #1 - no smoking and no open flames in the outhouse!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • 18 Point
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 06:20:11 AM »

We will have power. That is in process now. We cant do an outhouse. Water table is too high. Any hole over 6 in deep fills up with water.
TalkHunting  Founder

Online yari

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 06:56:54 PM »
i'm sad Mrs HM didn't like my suggestion. maybe that's why my wife doesn't 'need' to come up.  ???

all at once, let's chant: "yari has it figured out. a hen-less  man cave". @--0--0120 @--0--0120 @--0--0118 @--0--0118

just kidding, i love my wife
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad