New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Remember When  (Read 432 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Remember When
« on: July 14, 2017, 02:27:30 PM »
Just a trip down memory lane on my first deer hunt at 10 years old...wow, but my wife and I went out to eat Italian last night and she asked me to tell me about the first time you went deer hunting...so I asked her if she was sure she wanted to hear it? 

I told her that a couple of guys where Dad worked at in Atlanta asked him to go deer hunting? Dad said yes but have to bring my son, Bo, with him..they said sure bring him along...They said of course....all of us met at a local truck stop the night before, and we all stayed up all night long talking. Dad and his buddies were talking about past deer hunting trips, drinking plenty of coffee and boy was it cold....I tried to sleep in Dad's truck. The truck stop was full of opening day hunters and most of them were loud and it was very noisy. So I finally grab a hour sitting in the corner of the truck stop...just tired I guess...The morning got there way to early and we all headed for the woods. The location was near Monticello, GA. Deer Capital of Ga at one time. Well Dad shot his first deer a 4 pointer viva a "Texas Heart Shot", early in the morning, when they found the deer a couple of miles away, he was piled up, thank goodness for dogs...Dad used a borrowed 8mm Mauser and I was using a double barrel 12 gauge...Dad sat me on a stump and told me to shoot a buck if it came running by....Well it so happen that Dad's deer came running by me and I cut loose with both barrels of that 12 gauge and next thing I knew I was looking up at the sky. It had knocked me completely off the stump...and the recoil was awful...I hurt for a week but never telling Dad and showing him the big bruise it put on my right shoulder....

I remember it like it was yesterday and anytime I am in the my gun room, I looked up at his 4 pointer and right next to his deer is my 5 pointer, my first deer and smile, it takes me back to a much simpler time....I do remember when....

Would like to hear your story about your first deer or trip to the deer woods....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: Remember When
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 03:06:05 PM »
Bo,
Here's my first deer story, cut & pasted from a post earlier this year.  I was 16 at the time - even though I had hunted with Dad for as long as I can remember, he wasn't a deer guy, so until I had a driver's license I was not gonna be doing any deer hunting.

That first deer was pretty much just dumb luck, but fortunately here in IL we have a pretty good quality herd so it's not unusual for rookies to get lucky on nice bucks.  It was the Friday of second season (got skunked on the first weekend), and since I was too sick to go to school (deer fever) I climbed into a stand offered by one of Dad's friends who had filled his tag first season.  At about 9 in the morning I was freezing my backside off & ready to climb down for a little walk to warm up.  Had heard some shots earlier, but saw nothing.  Then starting hearing some hounds sounding off from an area that shouldn't have dogs - in a couple of minutes I see white antler tips bouncing towards me, and was able to squeeze off a shot with Dad's old Model 12 with that deer on the run at about 60 yards.  To my surprise, he dropped.  But then, he bounced back up on his front legs & started crawling towards the edge of the bluff.  Was able to get one into his chest and then a third into his neck which finally brought him to a stop.  Crawled down & walked over to him, realized my first shot had spined him.  Then I see an extra hole, and realize he was actually gutshot too.  Based on the entry wound, I could tell that wasn't mine - went in the wrong side (and I had only fired three shots & accounted for those).  Finally figured it out a day or two later when a couple of yahoos showed up at the house wondering if they could look at "their buck".  One of them admitted he had gutshot it - because it was the only thing he could see between the trees.  Now, I realize I probably would never have seen that buck if it weren't for their actions, but I was pretty ticked at the suggestion that this was "their buck".  They complimented me on the running shot - and I commented that if their dogs had shown up over the hill I'd have taken them out too.  That's when their visit ended. I was a pretty quiet and relatively small 16 year old at the time - when they walked out to their truck my dad just busted out laughing and gave me a big pat on the back - he was still telling that story 20 years later, claims he wasn't able to shut me up after that point.  Those clowns were trespassing, had no business on that property to start with - then to bring in dogs to track a wounded deer (illegal in IL at the time) took quite a bit of either guts or stupidity.  That interaction is usually the first image that comes to mind when I look at that buck on the wall.

I had a classmate up there with me that morning (he was sick too of course), he helped me dress him out & drag him out - fortunately downhill, then decided to go to town to warm up.  My hunting vehicle (and everything else vehicle at the time) was a '64 Olds Dynamic 88 - had a big trunk but still couldn't get the lid closed & drove to town with hooves sticking out the back - was living pretty large that morning for sure.  My classmate went to the bar where our checkstation was & had given everyone the heads up, so half the bar was standing outside waiting when I got there.  Turned out to be the second biggest buck in the county that year, an 11 pointer that dressed out at 174 pounds - my cousin took top honors with an old heavy beamed 8 pointer which was just a shade under 200 pounds.  Despite my dumb luck, of course I thought I was pretty hot stuff at the time.  It is incredible though how the memories coming flying back every time I look at that one on the wall.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 07:33:11 PM »
My dad didn't hunt at all, but one of his friends took pity on me and got me started bowhunting.  My very first bowhunt, we went out the evening before to pick a spot for me to sit.  Found one close by some apple trees.  I was asked if I thought I could find it in the morning, sure no problem I replied.  The next morning, in the dark, nothing looked familiar, so I didn't find my spot, so I wondered around until I could see a little better, and parked myself next to a big tree, and some small bushes.  Never saw a thing that morning.  My dad's buddy later told me he went looking for me and when he got to the apple trees, he heard some scampering noises, most likely deer.  We went back out for the afternoon hunt, and I found a nifty spot, with some overhanging bushes very close to a well used trail.  Didn't see anything, but boy, I sure got caught up on my ZZZ's.  I woke up and it was getting dark, so I thought I better get back to the house.  When I arrived, they were getting ready to go look for me.  My dad's buddy asked me where I was sitting, and when I told him, he said he had walked through that area and didn't see me.  Obviously, I was sound sleep at the time.  I'm sure we went bow hunting a couple more times after that, but that detail escapes me, obviously, I didn't shoot a thing, otherwise I would have remembered. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 08:19:54 PM »
i froze my tail off. i was 12, the youngest age in WI to hunt. my dad dropped me off in the dark and said find a spot. i cleared the snow off a deadfall and sat. my feet were absolutely frozen and i was shivering immediately. i had no idea where dad went so i had to sit. an hour later i looked up to see a herd of does and a busted up buck coming right at me. i raised my 30-30 octagon barrel and fired. it kicked like a mule. i didn't even aim. i put the gun between my legs to reload and a doe ran right to me and stared. the buck looked and started running. that was more my speed as i was a bird hunter then. as i fired the 2nd and last round he jumped a log and i shot under him. he ran over the hill and was shot by a local bar owner that was very nice about it and offered to buy me a pop at his place.

dad luckily shot an 8 pt shortly after that and i was able to warm up. i'm sure i had frost bite and it hurt like crazy as they thawed. i can't believe i went again as cold as i was. i vowed to buy the best i could afford when i was old enough. life is too short to freeze like that!
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 06:08:34 AM »
Yari - Yea, I remember when we use to have very cool winters or maybe it was cold because we did not have the great insulated clothes we have today....I remember I was so cold, that I remember jumping out of a 10 to 12 ft tree and not feeling me hit the ground, I was numb...

I remember when a bunch of us in college wanted to go deer hunting. We had one guy who should have gone to GA Tech, he was head and shoulders smarter than we were, but he was a rebel too, but he borrow his Dad's Winchester Commemorative 1866 30-30 with an octagon barrel....I have my $35 7mm Mauser, another guy shot some many time with his 30-30 at squirrels and rabbits, no deer of course, LOL...first time he had been deer hunting...LOL....

Louie - When we went deer hunting it was the first time my Dad had been hunting well...but for a Christmas present that year, got my first 22, a Savage 187H..still have it today and the following Christmas got a 410 single shot shotgun then got a Ben Pearson Bow and arrows...how many times have I been lost in the woods, plenty...LOL..I hear you...

Mad - I would be pissed too...wow, trespassing and dogs are not good, but when you are outnumbered you give in....I have a model 12, made in 1963.......nice second story...my deer vehicle was a 64 Chevelle....man wish I had it back....how many time did I take the car to the woods, too many...wish I had bought a truck much earlier than I did...how many times did I crawl in the back seat of that Chevelle and slept, no camping gear to speak of....LOL...those were the days....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 04:34:24 PM »
I was 12 and could barely pull back a 40 lb bow.  My brother, who was five years older, put me in the "Cadillac Stand" and said he would be back to get me later.  He forgot to tell me it would black dark.  I remember being in that stand crying and pulling lint out of my pockets and dropping it out of the stand.  (I don't know why, I am not the kind of person that fidgets, it just happened).  I was so worried my brother had fallen out of his stand and was hurt.  So I climb down and walk down the fence row in his direction.  He was already out of his stand coming to get me.  There were deer everywhere in the fields, but I bet one didn't come within 100 yards for a month of the "Cadillac Stand" due to the mountain of lint I piled near that tree.  Since that first hunt, I always sat tight and remember seeing his flashlight coming through the woods to get his little brother for the ride home!       

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 07:45:21 PM »
My dad wasn't a hunter, he was a fisherman.  So I learned how to fish as a little feller, but something kept me wondering about the hunt.  One of my uncles hunted but wasn't a deer hunter, so I tagged along with him, chasing gray squirrels, quail, ducks and dove.

Back in the day, mid 50's, there were very few deer in our part of central Florida.  Folks had to go north to the Ocala National Forest to hunt deer.  About this time, the deer population also started to grow and the big ranches were able to offer hunting leases.  The state also started expanding its WMA's and so as a teenager I started to pursue Bambi.  And pursue is all we did, we even had some deer hounds, but still no deer.

Graduated high school, went to Parris Island, went a short time to college and got married.  A month after marriage,  I killed my 1st deer, in fact I killed 2 at the same time!

A friend and I had decided to go deer hunting in south Lake County, Florida.  The property is now owned by the State and is called Green Swamp WMA.

We called ourselves still hunting, we were easing along the edge of a cypress swamp on a what was known as a "two trail road",  (There are still two trail roads but years ago there was also three trail roads. A three trail was the result of a wagon pulled by one horse or mule, two trail was either two mules/horses, side by side or a motor vehicle)  and we came to a fork, so we eased out away from the swamp toward the higher ground.

The area had scattered pines and abundant palmetto patches.  As we eased along the road I saw a deer standing in a big clump of palmettos.  I whispered to my friend, "Steve, there's a buck!"  I raised my Stevens 311, 12 gauge and fired the right barrel.  The deer disappeared and then jumped back up!  I promptly unloaded the full choke barrel at him.  I was shooting 00 buck shot.  Well when we waded off into the palmettos, there was a nice 8 point layin' there and another 8 point still kickin' in the bushes.  I said, "Shoot him Steve before he gets away."  Steve shot him in the gut with his shot gun! @--0--0117 He didn't know any better.

He congratulated me on getting two bucks and I told him he had killed one of them.  So we both were happy young men, our 1st deer!

That was in 1966, he and I hunted and fished together till I moved to the Panhandle in 1973.  Kept in touch through the years, visited occasionally and just a few weeks ago he called me to report that his dear wife of 54 years had died from a heart attack.

It's good to go back and "Remember when.."  I've been blessed to kill a pile of deer over the years and it all started in a palmetto patch just outside a cypress swamp in Lake County Florida, just west of State Road 33.
Treefarmer   

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 02:23:06 PM »
Thanks for all the walks down memory lane...just got this month's Shooting Times in and one of the featured articles is about the Remington Nylon 66....I bought mine in 67 and still have it today. Have put a scope (Bushnell) on it and use it out to 75 yards...the article went on the say that Remington was concerned that nobody would buy a guy with a Nylon stock on it. DuPont Nylon Ztel 101 was the actual material...

This little 22 has served me well over the 40 years that I have had it...wow, amazing little rifle...most of the ammo I have shot in it has been the Remington Golden Bullet, 36 grains...never had a jam with it....I was at a gun show a few years ago when I saw a display of about 6 of Rem Nylon 66...I went over and talk to the guy who was about my age. He told me that he had about 300 of the Remington Nylon 66 and Mohawk 10C, the Nylon 76 Lever action and the bolt action, forget the exact model number....

When I pick it up to take it to the range or squirrel hunting, it takes me back to a more stable time. I just looked at it and smile....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad